New 'Let's Play' Theme Decks Featuring Pikachu and Eevee!

I feel like you're treating this the wrong way. Now I'm not going to say this product is worth it but you're also assuming every young child is going to get this and go to a league and never know how to play the game.

I'm sure a lot of children who get this are going to just like looking at the nice little Pokemon they have, or just pretend to play their own game. I know a lot of little kids have just pretended to battle Pokemon with their little collections and all that.

Now, someone interested in getting into the game? Then I agree with you, getting this is not a good idea. But they, or whoever is buying the product for them can always look around, ask around, consider the options, etc.

You're treating this as if literally every 4 year old who likes Pokemon wants to go to a league and become a competitive player. That's far from the case at all. It's a product for little kids, that's who it's going to sell to. Just because it doesn't appeal to you or that audience doesn't mean you need to blast it and treat it like it's a horrible sin Pokemon just committed. There's something out there for everyone, for me, for you, all of us have different tastes. So, I don't think it's a matter of "this is preventing kids from learning the game" at all, it's just giving different options to different people is all.
I completely understand where you're coming from, and I think Pokemon has found excellent ways to advertise their products to collectors, but the fact that these are DECKS pretty much say that they're not just for collecting. Theme decks did a better job making fun little decks for kids to play with.

As if we didn't already have enough advertising for the games already here comes this. Probably another useless theme deck to try to suck little kids into playing the game. :(
Well done... still do not understand why there is so much hate for these products - if the little kids are not sucked in do you think Pokemon will make cards for you pros alone?? The kids make up 80% sales easy - plus kids today but in a few years they will be the next pros the game needs its juniors a lot more than seniors

All sarcasm aside. This is a terrible way to introduce kids to the Trading Card Game. They will assume decks should be mostly Pokemon and very few trainer cards which is a really, really bad idea. It isn't ideal to have 40x Pokemon and 20x Energy cards. The kids that they want to target so bad will end up loosing terribly at Leagues and would probably discourage them. The whole point of the TCG is to use your brain and think of good strategies, not just slapping down a bunch of random Pokemon and trying to attack mindlessly.

Has any here have a child? I have a 7 year old who i have played pokemon with since he was 5..

These boxes are how children WANT to play, i can tell you my son and his friends just want a deck full of pokemon, watch them open boosters trainer are thrown aside, energies are a nusicance. This kind of product is right up the 5-10 year old player, whos parents are probably never going to bring or send their child near a league.

Pokemon has been smart here and just tapped into this demo of pre -junior, and for that i salute them they are giving kids EXACTLY what they want. Not what pro players expecting a 10 year old to rock up with a championship deck think they want.

Has any here have a child? I have a 7 year old who i have played pokemon with since he was 5..

These boxes are how children WANT to play, i can tell you my son and his friends just want a deck full of pokemon, watch them open boosters trainer are thrown aside, energies are a nusicance. This kind of product is right up the 5-10 year old player, whos parents are probably never going to bring or send their child near a league.

Pokemon has been smart here and just tapped into this demo of pre -junior, and for that i salute them they are giving kids EXACTLY what they want. Not what pro players expecting a 10 year old to rock up with a championship deck think they want.
*Cough cough*

heh. There are people at my league who are 7 and are the exact opposite from what you are describing. Even my cousins, who are 5 and 7 know that trainers are important. Sure, kids can have this mindset, but this deck just ENFORCES that. That's not good, because as most of us know, trainers are one of the most crucial bits of building a deck.

I really think that if any kid wants a deck full of pokemon, then you either should never let them around a competitive deck, or force them to play a competitive deck.

If children see this in the store, they will think that they are doing the right thing and that they SHOULD play a no trainer deck, and that is BAD.

Ok. Imagine this. You don't know how to solve a rubik's cube, so you go and buy a cheap one off of amazon. They come with these neat little instructions that teach you how to solve it. You go ahead and try it, learning the beginners algorithms and before you know it, you can solve a rubik's cube.

So you are feeling pretty happy with yourself, so you practice and decide you are really good, and should go to a competition. You get last place, and you wonder to yourself, "wow that was sad everyone else is just so much better than I am, i should just give up" but what you DON'T realize is that there are much faster methods out there, such as CFOP and Roux. But when you started, you completely ignored these methods, thinking that yours was good enough.

This directly applies to pokemon.

A beginner player playing this deck vs a normal theme deck would be similar to randomly turning the cube vs the beginner method. And a theme deck vs a competitive deck is like using beginners vs CFOP. You just can't win, no matter how good you are or how much you try. Sure, you can get lucky, but that is not something you should rely on.

This theme deck enforces that "beginners method is better" but it really isn't. If someone was a beginning cuber, sure, they should learn beginners, but learn something else after you get it. This theme deck is just like beginners method, except it doesn't even work to solve the cube.

TL,DR: dont buy this, or buy it for anyone else

This product is totally made for me.

It's preconstructed,
except the ones that cost $30 or more.

yes, but theme decks and a general mindset has trainers as useless among the majority of the young Pokémon players. They come to leagues and do terrible and when you try to convince them to have more trainer of more than 2 types in a deck it will never work and they become stuck like that forever. I have about 10 examples

This kind of product is right up the 5-10 year old player, whos parents are probably never going to bring or send their child near a league.
I started playing Pokemon when I was 9. If I was 9 now I most likely wouldn't be interested in the Let's Go garbage.
This kind of product is right up the 5-10 year old player, whos parents are probably never going to bring or send their child near a league.
I went to leagues at a very young age and most people at my local league are very young. Also, if they aren't sending them to leagues then why even buy the deck in the first place if you have no one to play against?

Well done... still do not understand why there is so much hate for these products - if the little kids are not sucked in do you think Pokemon will make cards for you pros alone?? The kids make up 80% sales easy - plus kids today but in a few years they will be the next pros the game needs its juniors a lot more than seniors
I am actually 14 :)

To all those criticizing these, they're not for you. They make products for all ages. The fact you're even reading about the Pokemon TCG on a website already puts you in a different category than the kids who these products are intended for. This is clearly for super little kids who may want to learn how to play for fun with their siblings or friends. Kids who have no interest stepping into a League, at least right now.

When I first started collecting, I hated pulling Trainer cards. I thought I was being jipped from getting a Pokemon. If there was a product like this I might have started playing a little earlier.

Let's Go looks trash because it's just a Pokemon Go: Console Edition cash grab. Everything we've seen from this game is terrible. Sad to see what the VG has come to

It's Pokemon. We have more than enough advertisement
You said the deck looks like trash, not the game. It is not a competitive deck. That is like comparing a kids crayon drawing against the mona lisa.

*Cough cough*

heh. There are people at my league who are 7 and are the exact opposite from what you are describing. Even my cousins, who are 5 and 7 know that trainers are important. Sure, kids can have this mindset, but this deck just ENFORCES that. That's not good, because as most of us know, trainers are one of the most crucial bits of building a deck.

I really think that if any kid wants a deck full of pokemon, then you either should never let them around a competitive deck, or force them to play a competitive deck.

If children see this in the store, they will think that they are doing the right thing and that they SHOULD play a no trainer deck, and that is BAD.

Ok. Imagine this. You don't know how to solve a rubik's cube, so you go and buy a cheap one off of amazon. They come with these neat little instructions that teach you how to solve it. You go ahead and try it, learning the beginners algorithms and before you know it, you can solve a rubik's cube.

So you are feeling pretty happy with yourself, so you practice and decide you are really good, and should go to a competition. You get last place, and you wonder to yourself, "wow that was sad everyone else is just so much better than I am, i should just give up" but what you DON'T realize is that there are much faster methods out there, such as CFOP and Roux. But when you started, you completely ignored these methods, thinking that yours was good enough.

This directly applies to pokemon.

A beginner player playing this deck vs a normal theme deck would be similar to randomly turning the cube vs the beginner method. And a theme deck vs a competitive deck is like using beginners vs CFOP. You just can't win, no matter how good you are or how much you try. Sure, you can get lucky, but that is not something you should rely on.

This theme deck enforces that "beginners method is better" but it really isn't. If someone was a beginning cuber, sure, they should learn beginners, but learn something else after you get it. This theme deck is just like beginners method, except it doesn't even work to solve the cube.

TL,DR: dont buy this, or buy it for anyone else

I think we will have to agree to disagree here, regardless of wanting kids to learn how to play competitively THEY DONT WANT TO! young kids just want to have fun and throw down cards make sound effects and just live it up. If you have thst one 7 year old who is super serious and wants to roll a 2 energy deck they are a very very rare exception.

You dont give a child monopoly, you give them monopoly jr - or as another example you couldnt play scrabble with a 5 year old and even a 11-14 year old competively...

Let the kids have fun thats how you get them in then in couple or few years time start to check out other decks and strategies and go from there!

You say that if a kid losing all the time by using these decks or any deck that isn't full of trainers is going to quit. You can't quit something if you are not joining in that something in the first place.

I think we will have to agree to disagree here, regardless of wanting kids to learn how to play competitively THEY DONT WANT TO! young kids just want to have fun and throw down cards make sound effects and just live it up. If you have thst one 7 year old who is super serious and wants to roll a 2 energy deck they are a very very rare exception.

You dont give a child monopoly, you give them monopoly jr - or as another example you couldnt play scrabble with a 5 year old and even a 11-14 year old competively...

Let the kids have fun thats how you get them in then in couple or few years time start to check out other decks and strategies and go from there!
Ohoho

Do you think it's fun losing to a theme deck? If they can't even win how are they going to enjoy it? 7 year olds are smarter than you think.

I don't think this is a good idea.

but to be honest, when have the people behind the pokemon TCG had good ideas recently?

they are all bad ideas

eg: buzzwole, beast ring, zoroark, rayquayza, dedenne-gx, these theme decks

but to be honest, when have the people behind the pokemon TCG had good ideas recently?

they are all bad ideas

eg: buzzwole, beast ring, zoroark, rayquayza, dedenne-gx, these theme decks
Not really proving that point with me because I like all those things. Maybe not all the theme decks but some are cute.

MTG has the annual Commander decks, and Yugioh is coming out with Speed Duel decks.

What I really wish for is for TPCi to make some type of preconstructed product that focuses on a different way of playing the game, and a format where you must have specific deck construction rules while keeping the gameplay the same, like you are only allowed a maximum of 10 trainers in your deck, doesn't count.

Awesome. This could be exactly what I need to introduce the kids top the game (3 and 5 year olds)

Any update on these decks? November 30th came & went!
Potentially cancelled, like the Tapu Lele pin collection, the realese date came and i was looking for it so much, but it ended up being unrelased, besides us getting the card and pin later on.

Back