• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Reshiram-GX/Ho-oh-GX/Kiawe (SUM-DRM)

bidou

Aspiring Trainer
Hello there !

I am used to play Ho-oh-GX/Kiawe in the Standard format for some reasons (very good matchups against a large range of decks, fantastic attack power, fast setup), and I am now willing to give Reshiram-GX a try.

I think that Reshiram-GX has some advantages. He can KO some non-GX Pokémon without Ho-oh-GX drawback with his second attack. His GX attack, combined with Fiery Flint, can build a powerfull board. At last, when we don't start the game, his first attack can act as a little Kiawe.

Evertyhing is made to allow a first turn Kiawe : 6 basic targets for the Supporter, 4 Tapu Lele-GX to find it, 4 Ultra Balls to grab the missing part of the puzzle. All this stuff ensure a high consistency ratio.

Salazzle-GX remains a terrific finisher. I can't resolve to cut it off the deck.

Turtonator-GX very often gives the deck a salutary second breathe when the opponent manages to deal with the first threats.

Victini Prism Star is here to deal with GX-immuned Pokémon, and acts as a good finisher too. However, I am not very sold on this card. I find it quite fragile.

I would really like to add a fouth stadium, but I don't know what it could replace.

Here is the list, what do you guys think about it ?

Pokémon - 14
- 1 Turtonator-GX GRI 148
- 3 Ho-Oh-GX BUS 21
- 3 Reshiram-GX DRM 11
- 1 Victini {*} DRM 7
- 1 Salandit UPR 25
- 1 Salazzle-GX BUS 25
- 4 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137

Trainers - 32
- 4 Cynthia UPR 119
- 4 Guzma BUS 115
- 3 Kiawe BUS 116
- 2 Tate & Liza CES 148
- 4 Ultra Ball ROS 93
- 3 Nest Ball SUM 123
- 1 Mysterious Treasure FLI 113
- 1 Switch EVO 88
- 3 Fiery Flint DRM 60
- 4 Choice Band GRI 121
- 3 Po Town BUS 121

Energies - 14
- 14 Fire Energies

Last edited:
The list seems good. The combo with Reshiram GX using its GX attack early in the game to power up a benched Ho-oh is wonderful if you have those energies in your hand (that's the difficult part in my opinion). Fiery Flint helps achieving it, but you need to have it in your hand the same turn you use Reshiram's GX attack... Failing to do it results in almost a lost turn. I've not tried it, but it doesn't seem too reliable.

Regarding the finishers, my personal experience shows that both Salazzle GX and Victini {*} are not needed together. Just Victini was ok for me.
I'd recommend finding some space to add Wishful Batons too.

I hope it helps :)

Thank you very much for the review :)

Failing to do it results in almost a lost turn. I've not tried it, but it doesn't seem too reliable.

That remains a OHKO on a 2-prizes Pokémon, which is what the deck wants to achieve (on a 1 prize Pokémon, you generally use the regular attack).
Without Fiery Flint in hand, you often have 1 or 2 energies that can be attached. That's better than nothing, but yes, attaching 4 or 5 energies while taking a huge KO is a great feeling :D

You are perfectly right, it is not VERY reliable. But it can happen ;)
What is very reliable, on the other hand, is Reshiram's ability to OHKO almost every regular Pokémon with his normal attack, and take 2 prizes with the GX-attack.

Regarding the finishers, my personal experience shows that both Salazzle GX and Victini {*} are not needed together. Just Victini was ok for me.

I find Victini quite weak in reality. But it is the only answer to Baby Ninetails or Hoopa...

Salazzle-GX is an enourmous threat once the opponent has dealt with Ho-oh-GX and/or Reshiram-GX. It can't be OHKO easily and can reach each turn the big numbers with his first attack. What would you add to the deck instead of those 2 slots ? 2 Wishful Batons ?

I'd recommend finding some space to add Wishful Batons too.

Each Ho-oh-GX or Reshiram-GX with a Wishful Baton attached won't be able to reach 210 damages with a Choice Band.
That means that Po Town has to hit the Zoroark GX, Lycanroc GX, and other big GX the turn they evolve. Otherwise no OHKO possible :eek:
What split would you do between those 2 tools ?

In my mind, Turtonator GX acts as a one-shot Wishful Baton thanks to its GX attack, and has the potential to take a few prizes.

That remains a OHKO on a 2-prizes Pokémon, which is what the deck wants to achieve (on a 1 prize Pokémon, you generally use the regular attack).
Without Fiery Flint in hand, you often have 1 or 2 energies that can be attached. That's better than nothing, but yes, attaching 4 or 5 energies while taking a huge KO is a great feeling :D
Yeah, you can use the regular attack when possible and if you are sure your Reshiram isn't going to be KO'd the next turn because all 4 energies would go to discard pile without any other Pokemon charged up, needing another Kiawe turn. And if you miss the Fiery Flint and you need to use the GX attack to KO something, you miss the chance of powering up another Pokemon. Sorry if I sound too pessimistic, but the chances are there ;).

What is very reliable, on the other hand, is Reshiram's ability to OHKO almost every regular Pokémon with his normal attack, and take 2 prizes with the GX-attack.
This is very true.

I find Victini quite weak in reality. But it is the only answer to Baby Ninetails or Hoopa...
You can always add an Oranguru (Instruct) to get rid of those annoying ones. With the charging power you have, you'll have no issues in attaching it the 3 energies. Additionally, you get a little more consistency.
Ho-oh's first attack is also very useful to workaround them.

Salazzle-GX is an enourmous threat once the opponent has dealt with Ho-oh-GX and/or Reshiram-GX. It can't be OHKO easily and can reach each turn the big numbers with his first attack.
The object of Salazzle or Victini is to finish the game, so you don't actually care if they are weak.

What would you add to the deck instead of those 2 slots ? 2 Wishful Batons ?
An Oranguru for sure and the Wishful Baton maybe.

Each Ho-oh-GX or Reshiram-GX with a Wishful Baton attached won't be able to reach 210 damages with a Choice Band.
That means that Po Town has to hit he Zoroark GX, Lycanroc GX, and other big GX the turn they evolve. Otherwise no OHKO possible :eek:
What split would you do between those 2 tools ?
Yeah, it's true that you rely on the Po Town to hit the magic 210 number. But the Wishful Baton allows you to have another attacker if your only charged Pokemon is killed, improving consistency. My Ho-oh deck has a split of 3-3 Choice Bands and Wishful Batons.

Thank you very much for all your advices !
I will give Oranguru and Wishful Baton a try ;)

I've been thinking about this list quite a lot actually. I feel like you don't need salazzle in this deck since you can just swing away with Reshiram and and Ho-oh GX. With that being said, it is crucial that you start off with Reshiram GX, which is why I'm going to recommend you change your line-up to 4 Reshiram and 2 Ho-oh GX. Both of these Pokemon have a retreat cost of 2 so it would be beneficial to simply start with Reshiram in the active slot so you can get your combo off. Starting Ho-oh wouldn't be terrible, but you also wouldn't be able to hit your combo right away which is the point of the deck.

Starting with Lele isn't terrible since Tapu Lele has a 1 retreat cost and will allow you to get Reshiram in your active. I would also recommend adding 2 copies of Lady into your deck. Fiery flint is okay, but Lady guarantees that you can add 4 energy from your deck to your hand. You can also use Lele to dig the card out of your deck since you'll only ever really need 1 Reshiram and 1 Ho-oh (2 tops) out at a time. Then you can use wishful baton and transfer energies to your Lele or another Ho-oh to keep the damage going.

Take out mysterious treasure, max out your nest ball count and consider adding 1 more switch just in case you start with Ho-oh GX

Edit: You can also replace Victini with baby Reshiram. It has 130 health and for 3 energy, it does 130 damage.

Lady is a supporter. If you are running a Reshiram GX build with Ho-oh, it's crucial to get those 4 energies in hand at the moment of using the GX attack. What if you get Lady in your hand after playing a draw supporter? You can't use Lady in the same turn. Fiery Flint is a much better option.

Coincidentially, today I watched a stream made by Pablo Meza (tablemon) where he tested a straight 4 copies of Ho-oh, 1 Turtonator and a 2-2 line of Salazzle. We previously discussed and agreed that Salazzle GX is a finisher of the game, but Pablo used it pretty well in mid-game attacking by 110 damage when he had no other attacker ready and he did it very good. Maybe it's worth trying it.

Lady is a supporter. If you are running a Reshiram GX build with Ho-oh, it's crucial to get those 4 energies in hand at the moment of using the GX attack. What if you get Lady in your hand after playing a draw supporter? You can't use Lady in the same turn. Fiery Flint is a much better option.

Coincidentially, today I watched a stream made by Pablo Meza (tablemon) where he tested a straight 4 copies of Ho-oh, 1 Turtonator and a 2-2 line of Salazzle. We previously discussed and agreed that Salazzle GX is a finisher of the game, but Pablo used it pretty well in mid-game attacking by 110 damage when he had no other attacker ready and he did it very good. Maybe it's worth trying it.

I understand that Lady is a supporter. The idea is to either start with Kiawe in hand or use Lele to get it out turn 1. Using Kiawe ends your turn so during your next turn, you can either Lele again for Lady or hope that you have it in hand. Fiery flint is an item card so you have no way of guaranteeing that you will have it in hand. You have to hope you get lucky and draw it. You can't use any other card after you use Kiawe anyways, so why not use Lady the following turn?

I agree that Salazzle is a good addition, but if you're going to play Salazzle, then there isn't really enough room for multiple ho-oh and Turtonators. I think you would have to decide which line up works best for you and then optimize it.

I understand that Lady is a supporter. The idea is to either start with Kiawe in hand or use Lele to get it out turn 1. Using Kiawe ends your turn so during your next turn, you can either Lele again for Lady or hope that you have it in hand. Fiery flint is an item card so you have no way of guaranteeing that you will have it in hand. You have to hope you get lucky and draw it. You can't use any other card after you use Kiawe anyways, so why not use Lady the following turn?
You're right, I haven't thought of using Lele to grab the Lady. Hmmm... I think it's something we need to try to find out what's the best option.

I agree that Salazzle is a good addition, but if you're going to play Salazzle, then there isn't really enough room for multiple ho-oh and Turtonators. I think you would have to decide which line up works best for you and then optimize it.
Yeah, playing with Reshiram doesn't leave too much room for Salazzle. I think the best option for the Reshiram build would be Victini {*}

Back