Help The "What Should I Buy?" Thread

beebahboo

Collector
Why do you double sleeve? Dust protection or some other reason? Seems like single sleeving would do since the folio zips up.
Yeah, primarily. I've only recently switched to the z-folio from binders+loose pages. I'm sure the dust will be virtually eliminated. I guess at this point, it's about maximum protection.
I'm very particular about storing my things securely, obviously :p

b_squared2100

Aspiring Trainer
Hello, everybody.

I'm new to the game and wanted see what would be a better way to get into it.

Would it be easier to buy one or two booster boxes, and if so which set(s)?

Are tins and theme decks good places to start also? I play a lot online so the online codes help too.

Arc88

Aspiring Trainer
Hi b_squared,

I started back 2 months ago and got some great advice here.

Firstly are you wanting to collect or play? If you're playing I'd advise you do what I was told to and buy 2 mach strike theme decks. You can take the 4 Cynthia, 4 garchomp,gabite and gible and 4 riolu, 2 lucario to make a fun practice deck.

Then I'd strongly advise researching on YouTube, pokebeach and generally on the internet for the different decks out there to see what you'd like to build. There are staples you'll want such as Guzma but again a bit of reading will make that easier to see.

Finally I'd buy singles rather than packs or boxes, I don't know where you're from but in Europe there is a website called card market

https://www.cardmarket.com/en/Pokemon

I'd also recommend using that to buy singles if you are collecting.

Send me a DM if you want to discuss further pal, it's a massive world with so much to learn but the community is great.

Good luck pal.

thejdg

Aspiring Trainer
I used to play back in the base set era and was quite successful. I'm interested in getting back into the game. I come from an MTG background and certainly a competitive player and not a collector.

Right now my time is limited so while I would like to go and play in select physical tournaments, I feel much of my time will be spent playing online.

Cost isn't a huge deal (Especially when comparing the costs to MTG) but with that said, I don't really want to be dropping hundreds frivolously.

I wasn't sure if buying bulk booster codes to explore the cards and build online would be the way to go or if it buying select cards/decks online (if thats a thing) would be better.

I feel like the best strategy wouldn't be to buy physical cards until I knew what I wanted before a IRL tournament. They would probably just gather dust otherwise.

Thanks for your help. Its much appreciated.

Bobohippo

Aspiring Trainer
RE: The "What Should I Buy?" Thread

Just going to say that this is an excellent idea, I'm glad someone has finally made this. Anyways to make this post meaningful.
Price Range: Lets say around 90$.
What you're thinking of buying: A booster box with good staples to get Reverse Holo
Options: Mainly thinking Platinum, or HGSS, cause I want Donphans and Reverse PONTs. Platinum cause Reverse SP staples.

If you're set on getting the booster box and opening packs then I would definitely recommend something from the HGSS series or Ex Crystal Guardians, the older packs are always fun to open and the artwork on the cards is definitely better than it is now. That being said if you're looking for specific cards I highly recommend buying the singles. They are usually fairly priced and you're able to easily compare prices between sites as well. The HGSS Donphan that you were referencing mainly goes for around $0.49 even for the league holo. By using reliable websites to purchase cards you are getting the cards you want without shelling out say $12 for each Triumphant Pack and risking not obtaining the cards you want. P.S. Be mindful of fake cards, buy from reliable sellers with return policies, and if the price is too good to be true it probably is.

Bobohippo

Aspiring Trainer
I'm looking for a perspective on cards that are good for gameplay in standard battles preferably dark and psychic types.
Price Range: $20 (preferably more than 1 Card)
If you know of anything that may be helpful let me know the set it's from. Thanks for the help!

Vulpix Yolk

\ \ durant gang \ \
If you're set on getting the booster box and opening packs then I would definitely recommend something from the HGSS series or Ex Crystal Guardians, the older packs are always fun to open and the artwork on the cards is definitely better than it is now. That being said if you're looking for specific cards I highly recommend buying the singles. They are usually fairly priced and you're able to easily compare prices between sites as well. The HGSS Donphan that you were referencing mainly goes for around $0.49 even for the league holo. By using reliable websites to purchase cards you are getting the cards you want without shelling out say $12 for each Triumphant Pack and risking not obtaining the cards you want. P.S. Be mindful of fake cards, buy from reliable sellers with return policies, and if the price is too good to be true it probably is.

That post was at least 6 years old lol, the HeartGold SoulSilver booster box for $90 would have been the way to go for sure. oh well hindsight is 20.20

OppositeAttract

Aspiring Trainer
I used to play back in the base set era and was quite successful. I'm interested in getting back into the game. I come from an MTG background and certainly a competitive player and not a collector.

Right now my time is limited so while I would like to go and play in select physical tournaments, I feel much of my time will be spent playing online.

Cost isn't a huge deal (Especially when comparing the costs to MTG) but with that said, I don't really want to be dropping hundreds frivolously.

I wasn't sure if buying bulk booster codes to explore the cards and build online would be the way to go or if it buying select cards/decks online (if thats a thing) would be better.

I feel like the best strategy wouldn't be to buy physical cards until I knew what I wanted before a IRL tournament. They would probably just gather dust otherwise.

Thanks for your help. Its much appreciated.

If you have limited time I would suggest playing online, especially since we are approaching a rotation in September. If you want to get into the competitive game quickly buying codes is a good way to allow you to test decks relatively easily. To find out the value of cards online ou7c4st has listed the value of all cards that are available in terms of packs. Packs are considered and Guardians Rising is currently regarded as 1 pack of value, but will likely drop once the tapu lele box is released this fall.
The meta is currently dominated by Zoroark GX with varying partners, Buzzwole GX and Lycanroc or Garb, and Malamar variants, with rouge decks like VikaBulu/ Lapras waterbox being pretty good as well.

92Dragon

Aspiring Trainer
Hello, everybody.

I'm new to the game and wanted see what would be a better way to get into it.

Would it be easier to buy one or two booster boxes, and if so which set(s)?

Are tins and theme decks good places to start also? I play a lot online so the online codes help too.

I think its better to start with theme deck since you don't have to think about what cards to be used in the deck and Themes games are fairer because both player are limited to play the cards inside the theme deck only. One of the theme deck, you might want to consider is Mach Strike since it is easy to play and can cause a lot of damage due to combo of Garchomp and Lucario. You can find out more strategies about this deck at here.

Last edited:

KindFawn

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I am a returning player and I am questioning buying Tapu Leles right now. I won't necessarily be financially hurt by buying them at 25-30 a piece, but it'd be a lot nicer to get them at 8-15 when the promos come out. Do you think it's worth getting more than 1 to be competitive?

Trainer Josh

Competitive TCG Player
I am a returning player and I am questioning buying Tapu Leles right now. I won't necessarily be financially hurt by buying them at 25-30 a piece, but it'd be a lot nicer to get them at 8-15 when the promos come out. Do you think it's worth getting more than 1 to be competitive?
The reality is, the current meta demands every deck have Tapu Lele in order to be as competitive as possible. Lele is simply so versatile in it's ability to transfer one supporter from your deck to your hand, that it's definitely worth it to spend the money and buy a few copies yourself. That being said, if you are willing to wait until the promo comes out, you will be saving quite a bit of money in the process.

Last edited:

TickyIV

Aspiring Trainer
The reality is, the current meta demands every deck have Tapu Lele in order to be as competitive as possible. Lele is simply so versatile in it's ability to transfer one supporter from your deck to your hand, that it's definitely worth it to spend the money and buy a few copies yourself. That being said, if you are willing to wait until the promo comes out, you will be saving quite a bit of money in the process.

When does the promo come out?

The Binder Guy

Aspiring Trainer
If I manage to find the Latios/Latias Pin collections in stores today, which is the better score promo-wise?
When does the promo come out?
The box set is coming out on November 2nd, but I doubt Tapu Leles will drop any further than they already have.

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.
Hey everyone. I used to buy Japanese booster boxes from amiami, but it seems that lately all the Pokemon TCG products are always listed as "orders closed" on the site. Ebay is ridiculous with people selling Japan product for double the price of amiami.

Simple question: where is the next best place to buy Japanese booster boxes and other sealed Japanese Pokemon TCG products? Much appreciate the advice!

Edit: I'm in Ontario, Canada if it matters.

Chrswrites

Aspiring Trainer
With Lost Thunder being the biggest set ever. What should I buy?
1 booster box and a set of blisters (and the rest singles)
1 booster box, a set of blisters and ETB
2 booster boxes and buy the promo’s and the rest as singles online

dmode15

Aspiring Trainer
With Lost Thunder being the biggest set ever. What should I buy?
1 booster box and a set of blisters (and the rest singles)
1 booster box, a set of blisters and ETB
2 booster boxes and buy the promo’s and the rest as singles online

Yes, all of the above lol

Number51x

Blasting off at the speed of light!
I am a collector
As unfun as it is, really the answer is to just buy singles. This is the cheapest way. If you want to have fun opening packs, I'd go with the middle option.

As a collector, this set marks a turning point for me and how I collect. I used to get a playset of everything, every finish, except FA, SR, and RR. Now with sets getting so big and no sign of getting back to a reasonable size, I'm scaling back to 1 of each finish and playsets of good Pokemon and all trainers. To that end, even a booster box seems like a waste of money as 1 ea. of the commons and uncommons on average will be less than the cost of a booster or close to it. Going my old route generates far too much bulk and the resulting sets are starting to take up too much space.