• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Rayquaza GX with Lost Thunder WIP Decklist

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023
Ever since playtesting the core engine of a Rayquaza GX/Zeraora GX deck, it's become my favorite deck to roll in standard format. I've basically been hibernating on this deck until Lost Thunder arrives, and I figured I'd share the progress I've made with a decklist so far since we're only a few weeks away from that happening.

Pokemon x13

Rayquaza GX x4
Zeraora GX x2
Shuckle x2
Tapu Lele GX x1
Tapu Koko Promo x1
Shining Lugia x1
Zekrom (Dragon's Majesty) x1
Latias Prism Star x1

Supporter x12

Cynthia x4
Lillie x3
Guzma x3
Sightseer x2

Item x19

Ultra Ball x4
Mysterious Treasure x4
Wishful Baton x4
Rescue Stretcher x2
Pal Pad x2

Devoured Field x2
Thunder Mountain Prism Star x1

Energy x16

Grass Energy x8
Electric Energy x8

**See later posts for explanations on updated list

Card Choice Explanations:

Rayquaza GX x4 - Four copies are desired for the ability. It is not uncommon to easily put down 3 Rayquaza GX on the first two turns of the game and have all 3 of them sitting at 3 energy at the end of turn 2 thanks to a combination of its ability with Zeraora GX's GX attack. Four copies is non-negotiable.

Zeraora GX x2 - Two copies are needed for a couple of reasons. Having a free retreat engine for your entire board while offering a GX attack that accelerates a ton of energy early game while acting as a back up attacker and something that won't fall in one hit to Fairy are all incredible reasons to include this card. I would not go lower than two, and Zeraora GX is the primary partner that makes this deck function a lot more cleanly than Vikavolt or other counterparts.

Tapu Lele GX x2 - A card that shouldn't need explanation at this point. Dropping down to 1 copy is something I am debating for more room for extra utilities.

Shuckle x2 - Shuckle's ability accomodates Ultra Ball nicely to make sure you have 5 energy in the discard for Zeraora GX. Ultra Ball discarding 2 energy from hand to play Shuckle to discard 3 more from the deck, and you're done. In general, Shuckle is here for when you don't see enough energy in hand to play discard. I find 2 copies the perfect count.

Pheromosa x1 - A good one prize attacker with free retreat, so it does not damage your set up your energy distribution in any way should you be forced to start it as your active. This is a game closer non-GX attacker capable of swinging for 180 (210 banded) when you need to close out games in situations where you have 1 prize remaining and your opponent has 2 and you don't want to risk throwing a 2 prize knock out into your active.

Rotom (Electric, Ultra Prism) x1 - This is a weird tech card that was included for a handful of reasons. For starters, it deals 120 damage for 3 energy (2 with Thunder Mountain in play) which can OHKO Hoopa, Alolan Ninetales, and Oranguru. Pheromosa has a lot of finishing damage and is a great surprise card, but Rotom is here as your actual anti-GX option. Its 70 health is concerning, but since this deck is running 4 Wishful Baton, you can at least opt to move its energy else where when it goes to discard, and as a 1 prize loss you are still forcing the 7 prize/4 knockout game regardless. Zekrom from Shining Legends was under consideration for higher max health and 130 damage, but having to discard 2 energy on attack weakens Rayquaza GX, and Rotom having only 1 retreat cost prevents you from getting in hard jams that Zekrom's 3 retreat cost could put you in during the early game.

Latias Prism Star x1 - This is a card that I love & hate in this deck. I've found it to be very useful when I'm somehow bricking on Electric energy in hand to use Zeraora's GX attack or when I simply don't need to commit my GX attack in order to reach the energy counts I need to OHKO. At the same time, pretty much any game that I use Zeraora GX's GX attack to open, I basically never use this card. This is another card I've been thinking about replacing, because on average its attack nets you 2 energy onto your bench, which is something Shuckle can do anyway without a Dragon only restriction. The main benefit of running this card is for access to searching a form of energy acceleration via Mysterious Treasure.

Supporter line up - I think this supporter line up is something that should come as no surprise to anyone. This deck runs 8 discard items (Ultra Ball & Mysterious Treasure) and runs exclusively basic Pokemon which makes higher counts of Lillie incredibly effective and incredibly consistent as a turn 1 supporter. 2 copies of Kukui are here to help your back up attackers hit OHKO values while leaving your Pokemon available for Wishful Baton. I used to run 1 copy of Hala in the deck since more than 50% of my games leaned on Zeraora GX's GX attack on turn 2 of the game, but with 2 copies of Pal Pad in the deck already, this deck just simply doesn't need more draw support than it already has. Running 1 copy of Hala also sometimes led to me tunneling on searching for Tapu Lele just to play it, wasting a bench space.

Ultra Ball and Mysterious Treasure - Max copies, no questions asked. If you were to cut a copy for some spice, it would be 1 copy of Mysterious Treasure, else you are running 4/4 for maximum consistency. This isn't just about searching out your Pokemon, but also setting up your discard pile for Zeraora GX and making sure that energy is already in the discard so that Rayquaza GX's ability never misses. These cards offer consistency and speed on two levels in that regard.

Wishful Baton x4 - You want to keep your energy on the board as much as possible. I can see cutting 1 copy as an option for making space, but this card is one of the reasons why this deck can work so well. Preserving your energy so that Ray GX can continue to immediately respond to threats turn after turn is what makes this deck so powerful in my eyes, and Wishful Baton is a huge assist in making that happen.

Choice Band x2 - Choice Band is primarily for Zeraora GX as a back up attacker as well as Pheromosa. I never want these on Ray GX seeing as how Ray can easily hit 250+ damage by sheer energy count. It's still a good back up plan in my eyes.

Rescue Stretcher x2 and Pal Pad x2 - Running recovery cards is just simply mandatory as a way to compensate for Ray GX's ability. Rescue stretcher in particular is fantastic at acting as an "Ultra Ball" for your discard pile after you discard off of Ray GX. I used to run 3 copies of Rescue Stretcher but found myself never needing it.

Thunder Mountain Prism Star x1 - This used to be one copy of field blower, but I figured that with the increase in stadium usefulness lately, this gets the job done a lot better with more benefits to me than just blowing away a Shrine of Punishment. Not only is field blower incapable of removing Prism Star stadiums like this and Heat Factory, but Thunder Mountain allows me to use Zeraora GX's GX attack for free when I see it and allows it and Rotom to attack for only 2 energy a piece. This path makes it harder for me to deal with Pokemon tools like opposing Wishful Batons, but it makes Zeraora GX and Rotom even better.

16 Energy Pool - I've tried 7/7 and I can feel the difference. 14 energy just really isn't enough when you're looking to cycle through as much energy as possible in the first two turns of the game. Getting 10-11 energy onto the field by the end of Turn 2 of the game is very common for this deck, and 14 is just not high enough of a ceiling to realize those numbers at the same consistency.

Feedback is always welcome. Thanks for reading.

P.S. Cards I have considered depending on circumstances:

Drampa GX x1 - if Shrine of Punishment + Non-GX attackers becomes a very popular play, Drampa GX might be a good option for turning Shrine of Punishment in your favor for good Berserk damage. Ray GX can only hit 90 with 3 energy in play, but Drampa can hit for 150 and OHKO most non-GX attackers for only 3 energy in play in these circumstances. That being said, I think Ray hits hard enough & sets up fast enough to take out non-GX attackers that can't accelerate energy as fast.

Lugia GX x1 - Fighting resistance and base 170 damage gives you a good trade vs Buzzwole and an attacker that can close games by Guzmaing a Lele for game and does not have the inconvenient prize condition that Pheromosa has.

Devoured Field x2 - I've considered adding 2 copies of Devoured Field on top of Thunder Mountain to give me some more stadium wars power. Granted Rayquaza GX has only 180 HP, this stadium doesn't exactly give the opponent anything to work with to OHKO Rayquaza GX any sooner than they already would. On the other hand. this gives Ray GX access to numbers like 190, 220, and 250, of which 190 being the most important. However, this isn't a card I would use in most games and perhaps would do better as Field Blowers instead.

Last edited:
That seems like a lot of work just to get 1 Rayquaza-GX powered up, plus choice band? also with Blacephalon coming out it's really a race against time with Rayquaza as he can Confuse and burn you if he goes second or 1 shot you if he goes first.

I would look at either countering Blacephalon or Blacephalon Counter decks. As you will see a lot of Alolan Ninetales decks(Baby or Fairy GX) and Glaceon/Sylphon-Gx which will make this Rayquaza decks and any GX deck with abilities useless.

Rayquaza-Gx, Zoroark-GX and Scizor-GX will become "Benched" the moment Lost thunder comes out.

That seems like a lot of work just to get 1 Rayquaza-GX powered up, plus choice band? also with Blacephalon coming out it's really a race against time with Rayquaza as he can Confuse and burn you if he goes second or 1 shot you if he goes first.

I would look at either countering Blacephalon or Blacephalon Counter decks. As you will see a lot of Alolan Ninetales decks(Baby or Fairy GX) and Glaceon/Sylphon-Gx which will make this Rayquaza decks and any GX deck with abilities useless.

Rayquaza-Gx, Zoroark-GX and Scizor-GX will become "Benched" the moment Lost thunder comes out.

This process doesn't get 1 Rayquaza GX powered up. It gets 3 Rayquaza GX powered up by turn 2 of the game when done correctly, which happens in roughly 70% of my playtests. Unless Blacephalon GX can get 3 of them powered up and ready to go in 2 turns just as consistently as well, I really don't see how Rayquaza GX is getting immediately benched.

Ray GX benefits highly from its abilities, but it gets most of its energy from Zeraora GX's GX attack in terms of burst, so I really don't see how an anti-ability deck that can't OHKO in response to Ray is ever going to make Ray useless.

I've also playtested Ray GX against Sylveon GX for Plea GX and other fairy variants, and being a basic only deck allows it to outspeed the typing disadvantage as well.

If you read my Choice Band reasoning, it's there primarily for Zeraora GX and my non-GX attackers to make them hit nicer numbers. Primarily for Zeraora GX to hit 190.

The list that I have here was taken primarily from when Ray/Zeraora GX swept all 3 age divisions in a tournament over in Japan about a month ago and simply modified a bit.

Also, if I may just be blunt, considering that I am primarily going to only be playing at a locals level, I don't really think telling people to not play a deck that they like is particularly a good way to approach someone's list.

This process doesn't get 1 Rayquaza GX powered up. It gets 3 Rayquaza GX powered up by turn 2 of the game when done correctly, which happens in roughly 70% of my playtests. Unless Blacephalon GX can get 3 of them powered up and ready to go in 2 turns just as consistently as well, I really don't see how Rayquaza GX is getting immediately benched.

Ray GX benefits highly from its abilities, but it gets most of its energy from Zeraora GX's GX attack in terms of burst, so I really don't see how an anti-ability deck that can't OHKO in response to Ray is ever going to make Ray useless.

I've also playtested Ray GX against Sylveon GX for Plea GX and other fairy variants, and being a basic only deck allows it to outspeed the typing disadvantage as well.

If you read my Choice Band reasoning, it's there primarily for Zeraora GX and my non-GX attackers to make them hit nicer numbers. Primarily for Zeraora GX to hit 190.

The list that I have here was taken primarily from when Ray/Zeraora GX swept all 3 age divisions in a tournament over in Japan about a month ago and simply modified a bit.

Also, if I may just be blunt, considering that I am primarily going to only be playing at a locals level, I don't really think telling people to not play a deck that they like is particularly a good way to approach someone's list.

Not trying to make hard feelings here, however you have to take into consideration, that if Blacephalon goes first he can use 1 Fiery flint to get 4 energies off the bat, and Kiawe to get 4 energies on Blacephalon on your first turn, you may end up killing one of those blacephalon however after that It's beast ring. If he goes second he puts down an energy and your confused and burned- even if you get rid of that burn confusion is a 50/50 to not doing damage to yourself.

On the other end you have Alolan Ninetales which tanks your GX, and Glaceon to nerf your abilities which if gone first means that you can't play tapu lele-gx or your rays if your looking at maximizing your energies. I don't know all the cards coming out, however I'm sure there are cards that will make that deck even better when lost thunder comes out.

I've Beaten Ray decks with Sylveon-gx solely - he just needs 1 fairy energy and 1 double colorless to 1 shot a ray-gx. - and the only fast counter to Sylveon(Scizor-Gx) is not going to see much play, the baby variant will(I'll be playing it) but it has less HP and can be countered even easier then Scizor-Gx. That plus cards from Fairy Rise is going to make a slyveon deck even powerful(Alolan Ninetales GX for 1)

I'm not saying to not go and play the deck by all means however you did ask for feed back and whether your playing Local or online if someone chooses to use Blacephalon, your gonna have a really hard time staying above water.

Last edited:
Not trying to make hard feelings here, however you have to take into consideration, that if Blacephalon goes first he can use 1 Fiery flint to get 4 energies off the bat, and Kiawe to get 4 energies on Blacephalon on your first turn, you may end up killing one of those blacephalon however after that It's beast ring. If he goes second he puts down an energy and your confused and burned- even if you get rid of that burn confusion is a 50/50 to not doing damage to yourself.

On the other end you have Alolan Ninetales which tanks your GX, and Glaceon to nerf your abilities which if gone first means that you can't play tapu lele-gx or your rays if your looking at maximizing your energies. I don't know all the cards coming out, however I'm sure there are cards that will make that deck even better when lost thunder comes out.

I've Beaten Ray decks with Sylveon-gx solely - he just needs 1 fairy energy and 1 double colorless to 1 shot a ray-gx. - and the only fast counter to Sylveon(Scizor-Gx) is not going to see much play, the baby variant will(I'll be playing it) but it has less HP and can be countered even easier then Scizor-Gx. That plus cards from Fairy Rise is going to make a slyveon deck even powerful(Alolan Ninetales GX for 1)

I'm not saying to not go and play the deck by all means however you did ask for feed back and whether your playing Local or online if someone chooses to use Blacephalon, your gonna have a really hard time staying above water.

If I'm not mistaken, Confused Pokemon can retreat in the current rule set without having to flip a coin yes? I fail to see how Burn/Confuse is a huge deterant against a deck that runs free retreat with Zeraora GX. If you confuse my active Zeraora, I'll just retreat into a Shuckle and charge energy that way. Better yet, if I know you're going to try and confuse me, I'll keep Zeraora GX on the bench and then only put it into the active the turn I need to GX attack. If you confuse my Rayquaza GX active, I'll just retreat into a benched one with 3 energy on it and attack with that one instead. Unless I brick completely, I always have a minimum of 2 Rayquaza GX ready to go by turn 2 of the game to make this happen. Worst case scenario is I play a Guzma to make the Switch. Not trying to invalidate your points, but if the current ruleset allows for retreating while confused without a coin flip, then it's not an actual problem when considering free retreat from Zeraora GX's ability.

The Fairy match up isn't an auto win nor an auto loss granted both Fairy and Ray GX one shot one another. It just comes down to a bit of luck on who gets a better set up and enough energy fast enough, and it's also the reason why I have a bit of extra support to have Zeraora be useable so I can't take 2 hit KO trades instead of OHKO trades against Fairy. It's also why I want 1 copy of Lugia GX since Lugia GX choice banded can OHKO both Sylveon GX and Alolan Ninetales GX while they cannot OHKO Lugia GX in return.

I also didn't mean to come off as harsh, but if Blacephalon is the deck to look out for, I would perhaps have liked to see cards a Ray/Zeraora deck can play to increase their odds of winning against Blacephalon instead of saying I need to play counter or also play Blacephalon. That's kind of what I mean by feedback.

Perhaps I'm still a bit naive as a novice TCG player who has never gone beyond the local level, but I'd like to believe the TCG is a little more organic than simply "this deck will always beat that." I don't think Ray/Zeraora GX is that far out of league with anything else such that it can't even put up a good fight.

I think I understand now. I made a deck recently, It's a troll/stall deck I'd like to share with you.

Pokemon:

Porygon x2
Porygon2 x1
Porygon-Z x2

Eevee x2
Sylveon-Gx x2

Hoopa x1

Tapu Koko x3

Tapu Lele x1

Trainer:

Item

Peeking Red Card x4
Energy Retrieval x1
Rescue Stretcher x2
Rare Candy x3
Pal Pad x1
Nest ball x2
Switch x2
PokeNav x1

Supporters

Cynthia x1
Acerola x1
Gladion x1
Judge x3
Lillie x2

Tools

Choice band x2
Body Building dumbells x2

Energy:

Dble Colourless x4
Rainbow x2
Unit energy x1
Fairy Energy x8

Basically the deck is an All around counter deck and focuses on killing Basic and Stage 1 pokemon, It works half the time. It's a fun deck if you get into the right match and get the right setup. However Because there are so many different cards in the deck it's hard to get a proper strat going. The moment you finally get the right setup your opponent has already won. That's why Vikavolt and Rayquaza worked so well, no messing with multiple pokemon and only having to focus on 2 main cards your attack and your support.

It's easier to strat when adding more cards to your deck that doesn't hinder it's abilities, then to start from scratch.

My advice to you if you really want to use Zeraora-gx is to add him to the current Vikavolt/Ray deck as he can be the Graveyard Energy support card in case your Ray deck stales from no energies in your deck(I've seen that happen a few times). Ray's Gx is barely useable anyways.

Did some more card searching and decided to make some changes to my build.

-1 Pheromosa, +1 Shining Lugia

Shining Lugia trades favorably with a ton of non-GX Pokemon. For 3 of any energy, it can do 120 damage to Pokemon with abilities, which still covers Hoopa, Alolan Ninetales, Oranguru, as well as getting Magcargo and Malamar. It also doesn't have a can't attack again clause. The 2nd attack deals 130 damage, which is a common value for lots of basic non-GX attackers as well as Naganadel, only discarding 1 energy, which is something that can be servicably maintained and doesn't affect the math of Rayquaza GX enough to be a hard negative.

-1 Rotom, +1 Lugia GX

I think I want this card. Rotom's lack of HP and having to use only Electric energy in a mixed energy deck is just not as versatile even with Thunder Mountain. It also can't attack multiple times in a row like Shining Lugia can.

Lugia GX Choice Banded hits for 200 damage which takes care of Sylveon GX and Alolan Ninetales GX (Fairy Rise) in one swing. This gives you a very easy way to deal with Fairy match ups since the only thing that can OHKO Lugia GX in Fairy is Gardevoir GX, and this deck outspeeds Gardy most of the time anyway. It's also your work around since there's absolutely no Fairy Charms for Colorless.

-1 Latias Prism Star, +1 Tapu Koko Promo

Since the average amount of energy you gain from Latias is usually only 2, the same as shuckle's attack without the versatility, at best 3, and since this deck can't simply rely on turbo Rayquaza GX to win every match, Latias Prism Star loses a lot of value. Zeraora GX and Shuckle are already enough to get the energy you need. Tapu Koko Promo is here to optimize Thunder Mountain even further by giving access to Electric Ball dealing 100 damage for 2 energy, but also for the free retreat and Flying Flip. In games where Rayquaza GX is not the primary strategy, scraping off 20 HP makes your life easier when using Zeraora GX, Shining Lugia, and Lugia GX as secondary attackers. Having the Tapu Koko Promo also makes Electric Ball a 2-3 energy OHKO answer to opposing Lugia GX and Shining Lugia.

-2 Sightseer, +2 Professor Kukui

Kukui helps make a lot of math easier for this deck. 160 damage on Zeraora GX becomes 180 to OHKO Ray GX, Blacephalon GX, and Dawn Wings Necrozma GX while being able to keep a Wishful Baton on it instead of going Choice Band and losing energy in a revenge KO. Lugia GX goes from 170 to 190 which allows it to take down Buzzwole GX, Ultra Necrozma GX, and Dusk Mane Necrozma GX. Especially since you have to invest 4 energy onto a Lugia to swing, having Wishful Baton to keep most of that instead of Choice Band makes Kukui pretty good. This deck has no way to accelerate energy via abilities outside of Ray accelerating to itself, so once you stick on all of your initial early game energy, you need to make the most of it and have it bounce from attacker to attacker to keep your momentum if you're getting pressured. Kukui in general allows you to maximize Wishful Baton while having options for good damage as well.

Having Tapu Koko Promo, Professor Kukui, and Choice Band at my disposal gives me the ability to play around with my numbers to give myself some alternative strategies. Since I'm already maxed out on consistency with Rayquaza GX itself with 4 copies, and 2/2 Zeraora/Shuckle, giving myself other ways to approach the game seems like a good idea. At the same time, Kukui can also be combo'd with Choice Band in order to make hitting 210/220 with Zeraora/Lugia GX feasible, which hits basically every Stage 1 that matters as well.

Since this deck also runs 2 copies of Pal Pad, it allows me to be more flexible with draw supporters. Sightseer was almost completely unused in my playtesting since I usually just Lillie T1, Cynthia T2, and then play a Pal Pad to restock my Cynthias when I see 2 in my discard pile. Pal Pad also makes 2 copies of Kukui a little bit more useable than just 2 times if necessary (it shouldn't ever, really).

I believe these changes will be the final build I'll take to my locals, see how I do against other decks, then go from there. I feel like the meta has been changing a lot more rapidly than before with each set release, but maybe that's also because I've been on hiatus for a long time and am disconnected in general.

I think the match up is pretty even, but Buzzwole needs to land Beast Ring in order to keep up in terms of energy acceleration, and Beast Ring is a brick card early game. Ray/Zeraora is capable of putting 11 energy on the field by turn 2, and with or without Wishful Baton, that's a lot of OHKOs back to back that Buzzwole can't deal with without Beast Ring. When Ray doesn't get that much energy going early to streamline OHKOs, Buzzwole's Jet Punch/Knuckle Impact rotation is pretty successful, otherwise I'd say Buzzwole needs Diancie Prism Star/Choice Band/Beast Energy to take OHKOs when Ray is doing well.

The addition of Lugia GX & Shining Lugia also makes things a bit harder for Buzzwole with the fighting resist. Jet Punch only does 10 damage unmofidied to either of them in the active, and OHKOing a full HP Lugia GX requires both Diancie Prism Star and Choice Band/Beast Energy.

But admittedly I've never played Buzzroc myself, so I'm not certain how consistent these conditions are.

Hi Duo,

Not sure on the modification. To me they seem to make the deck worse. Latias Prism Star is still important in the deck. Do not replace it. Choice Band does not seem to be needed since Zeraora GX is not the focus of this deck. Personally I would try to fit in some non-GX attackers in addition to Rayquaza GX and Zeraora GX. I pertly agree with some of the aforementioned discussions but for different reasons. In Japan this deck has fallen out of favor compared to Blacephalon since these two decks accomplish a similar aim but Naganadel is also a viable non-GX attacker that enables the deck to trade more favorable. I also would like to point out the lack of stadium cards. Lost Thunder provides us access to several viable non-GX deck. Examples are Malamar Giratina, Alolan Exeggutur, White Kyurem, Lost March and others. Most of these decks will run three Shrine of Punishment and are also able to ohko. With the focus being entirely in Pokémon GX you will end up trading unfavorable with these decks. You can try to improve this unfavorable matchups by running more stadium cards and finding a better balance between Pokémon GX and Pokémon non-GX.

Hi Dark Espeon,

I was doing some more playtesting with the changes I mentioned and felt that I was getting choked since it was making Rayquaza GX not as much of a focus, particularly Latias Prism Star is back in the deck, and I believe that Sightseer needs to stay in and Kukui needs to stay out.

However, I do still like Shining Lugia and Lugia GX - particularly the Shining Lugia. I am considering removing Lugia GX to put the Tapu Koko Promo back in. Tapu Koko Promo's spread damage is still good for a deck like Ray GX when they don't always get the explosive 9+ energy by turn 2 that they want.

Lack of stadiums is something that has also been bothering me, and I have considered several times replacing my 2 Choice Bands with 2 Devoured Fields, but my problem with that is Rayquaza GX usually doesn't need the help from Devoured Fields to hit numbers - it's mostly just a stadium war card at that point. But the more I think about it, the more I think I like it.

I'm okay with it if Ray GX has fallen a bit out of favor. Ray GX is a deck that I just simply enjoy piloting, so regardless of where it stands in the meta, it's a deck I always want to have access to. And since I'm not preparing to go to Regionals or League Cups in my area at the moment, I'm not particularly worried about going out of my way to build Blacephalon or a "better" deck when I'm only a few cards short of finishing Rayquaza GX. At least not yet. I've been waiting too long for Ray/Zeraora to come out officially to just simply pass over it.

EDIT: Here's what I'm looking at right now.

Pokemon x13

Rayquaza GX x4
Zeraora GX x2
Shuckle x2
Tapu Lele GX x1
Tapu Koko Promo x1
Shining Lugia x1
Zekrom x1
Latias Prism Star x1

Supporter x12

Cynthia x4
Lillie x3
Guzma x3
Sightseer x2

Item x19

Ultra Ball x4
Mysterious Treasure x4
Wishful Baton x4
Rescue Stretcher x2
Pal Pad x2

Devoured Field x2

Energy x16

Grass Energy x8
Electric Energy x8

I slashed the Choice Bands for Devoured Field, and I have a variety of options with my non-GX line up.

Namely, I removed 1 Tapu Lele GX (I only ever use Lele once per game, and only for T1 Lillie. My bench is full after that. If I mill it on accident I have Rescue Stretcher anyway), and replaced it with a Zekrom from Dragon's Majesty.

Tapu Koko Promo's Flying Flip + Zekrom with Devoured Field in play allows me to hit for 180 damage with non-GX attackers, which can dance with both Blacephalon GX and Ray GX. Better yet, with Devoured Field, Latias Prism Star hits for 40 damage, helps accelerate Zekrom if needed, and Zekrom hits for 160 which allows me to cover everything up to Sylveon GX. Zekrom is a bit expensive and has a chance to damage itself, putting it in OHKO range from a Naganadel, but as a 1 prizer with Wishful Baton to preserve 3 energy, I think I'm okay with that if I'm using it to take 2 prizes. The combination of Flying Flip + Zekrom has potential to take 4 prizes in 2 attacks, and I think that's a gamble I can take.

Shining Lugia needs to stay for general 1 prize trades. Hitting 130 for a small penalty and hitting 120 on ability Pokemon is pretty good.

Last edited:
Another idea that I saw on the YouTube channel, Pokemon Deck Check is Naganadel/Rayquaza/Zeraora. It seemed to set-up quite well, I'd check the video out to see if you like it.

I've considered Naganadel as well for Rayquaza, but I'm currently a fan of the fact that this is one of the only decks that runs purely basic Pokemon, which is part of the reason why I like it as much as I do due to the consistency. I rarely ever get day & night results like I used to bricking on Gardevoir GX.

I gave the list a peek and I'm kind of iffy about it, mostly in the sense that I think Beast Ring working in Blacephalon GX, both for Blacephalon and Naganadel, as well as access to Fiery Flint for tons of energy to discard and the new Prism Star stadium that can discard fire to draw 3 cards makes Blacephalon GX a far better partner for Naganadel.

Personally I think that running 4 Choice Band is the reason why that deck is using Naganadel - it allows you to recover energy and use Choice Band - but since Field Blower counts have dropped substantially from most decklists, I think Wishful Baton is just a better form of maintaining the energy you put on in the first 2-3 turns. Bench space is also incredibly tight in this deck. The "optimal" 6 Pokemon spread is 1 Zeraora GX, 3 Rayquaza GX, 1 Shuckle, and 1 Tapu Lele GX on bench. I don't really see room to add Naganadel on top of that. Ray GX's damage ceiling is so high to never need Choice Band, especially in a meta that's capped at 210 HP currently, more commonly 180/190.

Hi Duo,

Looks much better now. I believe that two non-GX attackers will suffice. I would also include two Rescue stretcher to retrieve specific attackers when needed and a third Sightseer. Cut one Zeraora GX since one suffices on usual with Latias Prism Star and shuckle as additional means to accelerate. Settle on 2-3 non GX attackers. In addition to Zekrom from Dragon's Majesty the new Tapu Koko, the Grass Dhelmise, and the new Grass Tapu Bulu seem attractive choices to me. This will leave you with 10-11 Pokémon which is more than sufficient. I am not that sold on Shinning Lugia since the first attack will not be able to ohko several common Pokémon with abilities such as Giratina and there will be even more non-GX ohko attackers without abilities. I perfer the four aforementioned non-GX attackers in general. Cutting down a little on Pokémon also makes roon for two Field Blower. Inbetween Fairy Charms (less common at least around here) and Spell Tag (almost a new stable in Psychic decks) you will need the tool removal. In addition it also helps to fin the stadium war with two Field Blower and three stadiums of your own. You merely need a little fine-tuning but this requires you to test out what truely works best for you in your meta. Hope this provides some initial assistance.

I understand the reluctance to simply shift to a new deck. I feel the same about the new Zoroark deck with Spiritomb which is essentially Dark Vespiquen 2.0 reloaded. I love the concept and am still looking for a list that flows best with me. I believe this is one of the underrated cards in Dark Order (SM8a).

Not sure if you want to incorporate Nagandel here. You would need to focus a little more on just Rayquaza GX and Naganadel. In general I cold see it work but it is a drastic different build. The benefit is that you merely need to fuel Rayquaza GX and Nagaandel provides all the resource maintainance needed for the deck. Nagandel decks are in general rather popular at the moment since this card is perheps one of the most versatile cards in the entire set. Nagandel also works real well with either Zeraora GX or Tapu Koko GX. However it is not limited to these types. Dark Naganadel with Hoopa GX and Nagandel in Water Box work well too. In addition he is the ideal partner for Blacephalon GX. To tell the truth: Without Naganadel Blacephalon GX would not be viable at all. Splash in some Spell Tag for Nagandel and you drastically improve the Lost March matchup. In a nutshell: Naganadel is perheps the best card in this set. Did not try it with Rayquaza GX thus far but it is at least worth a shot if you have the time to playtest it with proxies.

Last edited:
I would like to keep Zeraora GX at a minimum of 2 count. Regardless of what attacker I'm using, Zeraora GX's access to free retreat is another reason why I like Rayquaza GX so much - free retreat offers a ton of flexibility for the deck (such as free retreating out of Blacephalon's confuse) and prevents you from getting stuck during the set up phase, which is the worst time to get stuck. I consider this the same as when people were still debating more than 1 Brigette in Stage 2 decks to prevent prizing screwing you over, and getting a turn 2 five energy GX attack from Zeraora GX is a win condition that I do not want to reduce. Zeraora GX is also the best starting Pokemon for this deck. Whenever I can drop it into my active to start the game, I have a dramatically easier time setting up.

I like the Shining Lugia because 4 energy for 130 damage can still cover options like Naganadel and Giratina. The discard 1 energy clause + Wishful Baton means that even if it gets counter KO'd, I won't be losing the energy at all. And if it doesn't get counter KO'd, it doesn't have a "can't attack again" clause which allows me to just attach from hand and swing again if that's my best option for offense at the time. That's why I don't like attackers like the Dhelmise, and with Fire likely on the rise thanks to Blacephalon GX, it makes Dhelmise an unfavorable trade with non-GX Fire attackers.

I would really really like to use Zekrom from Shining Legends due to the synergy with Thunder Mountain, but the discard 2 energy clause for 130 damage to me is a deal breaker in a snowball deck. It's even worse than a can't attack again clause since the lack of energy forces it to not attack again, and it makes Rayquaza GX weaker.

2 copies of Rescue Stretcher are already a part of the deck, and I have playtested with 3 and found that to be far too many. 3rd copy of Sightseer is just a matter of I really don't think I have space for it, and Sightseer is my least used supporter by far.

I have been debating slashing 1 if not both of my Pal Pads since Pal Pad is a fairly weak recovery card that doesn't guarantee that you'll necessarily see your supporters even after you play it. I feel like I would rather run more supporters in general so that I see them in hand more often to begin with. I never play more than 1 Pal Pad per game, and only when I mill too many supporters on accident, which can be mitigated by good card order.

I've considered Lysadre Labs over Devoured Field as a method to deal with both Pokemon Tools and Stadiums at the same time. It hurts my Wishful Batons, but if I have an energy surplus that doesn't matter. There will be a time and place where Lysandre Labs will benefit me, especially if it helps me shut down Blacephalon's energy system without getting punished by Spell Tag. It's more deck space efficient than Devoured Field + Field Blower.

When Tapu Koko Prism Star releases (and if I'm still playing this deck by then), I'd like to include that card since it can come in, accelerate 2 energy, then disappear for me to play something else in its place. It's a pseudo-7th bench space and a great recovery card for when you get KO'd, free up a bench space, and want to get some energy going. It also has a serviceable attack so that it can deal damage and then disappear.

Ever since playtesting the core engine of a Rayquaza GX/Zeraora GX deck, it's become my favorite deck to roll in standard format. I've basically been hibernating on this deck until Lost Thunder arrives, and I figured I'd share the progress I've made with a decklist so far since we're only a few weeks away from that happening.

Pokemon x13

Rayquaza GX x4
Zeraora GX x2
Shuckle x2
Tapu Lele GX x1
Tapu Koko Promo x1
Shining Lugia x1
Zekrom x1
Latias Prism Star x1

Supporter x12

Cynthia x4
Lillie x3
Guzma x3
Sightseer x2

Item x19

Ultra Ball x4
Mysterious Treasure x4
Wishful Baton x4
Rescue Stretcher x2
Pal Pad x2

Devoured Field x2

Energy x16

Grass Energy x8
Electric Energy x8

**See later posts for explanations on updated list

Card Choice Explanations:

Rayquaza GX x4 - Four copies are desired for the ability. It is not uncommon to easily put down 3 Rayquaza GX on the first two turns of the game and have all 3 of them sitting at 3 energy at the end of turn 2 thanks to a combination of its ability with Zeraora GX's GX attack. Four copies is non-negotiable.

Zeraora GX x2 - Two copies are needed for a couple of reasons. Having a free retreat engine for your entire board while offering a GX attack that accelerates a ton of energy early game while acting as a back up attacker and something that won't fall in one hit to Fairy are all incredible reasons to include this card. I would not go lower than two, and Zeraora GX is the primary partner that makes this deck function a lot more cleanly than Vikavolt or other counterparts.

Tapu Lele GX x2 - A card that shouldn't need explanation at this point. Dropping down to 1 copy is something I am debating for more room for extra utilities.

Shuckle x2 - Shuckle's ability accomodates Ultra Ball nicely to make sure you have 5 energy in the discard for Zeraora GX. Ultra Ball discarding 2 energy from hand to play Shuckle to discard 3 more from the deck, and you're done. In general, Shuckle is here for when you don't see enough energy in hand to play discard. I find 2 copies the perfect count.

Pheromosa x1 - A good one prize attacker with free retreat, so it does not damage your set up your energy distribution in any way should you be forced to start it as your active. This is a game closer non-GX attacker capable of swinging for 180 (210 banded) when you need to close out games in situations where you have 1 prize remaining and your opponent has 2 and you don't want to risk throwing a 2 prize knock out into your active.

Rotom (Electric, Ultra Prism) x1 - This is a weird tech card that was included for a handful of reasons. For starters, it deals 120 damage for 3 energy (2 with Thunder Mountain in play) which can OHKO Hoopa, Alolan Ninetales, and Oranguru. Pheromosa has a lot of finishing damage and is a great surprise card, but Rotom is here as your actual anti-GX option. Its 70 health is concerning, but since this deck is running 4 Wishful Baton, you can at least opt to move its energy else where when it goes to discard, and as a 1 prize loss you are still forcing the 7 prize/4 knockout game regardless. Zekrom from Shining Legends was under consideration for higher max health and 130 damage, but having to discard 2 energy on attack weakens Rayquaza GX, and Rotom having only 1 retreat cost prevents you from getting in hard jams that Zekrom's 3 retreat cost could put you in during the early game.

Latias Prism Star x1 - This is a card that I love & hate in this deck. I've found it to be very useful when I'm somehow bricking on Electric energy in hand to use Zeraora's GX attack or when I simply don't need to commit my GX attack in order to reach the energy counts I need to OHKO. At the same time, pretty much any game that I use Zeraora GX's GX attack to open, I basically never use this card. This is another card I've been thinking about replacing, because on average its attack nets you 2 energy onto your bench, which is something Shuckle can do anyway without a Dragon only restriction. The main benefit of running this card is for access to searching a form of energy acceleration via Mysterious Treasure.

Supporter line up - I think this supporter line up is something that should come as no surprise to anyone. This deck runs 8 discard items (Ultra Ball & Mysterious Treasure) and runs exclusively basic Pokemon which makes higher counts of Lillie incredibly effective and incredibly consistent as a turn 1 supporter. 2 copies of Kukui are here to help your back up attackers hit OHKO values while leaving your Pokemon available for Wishful Baton. I used to run 1 copy of Hala in the deck since more than 50% of my games leaned on Zeraora GX's GX attack on turn 2 of the game, but with 2 copies of Pal Pad in the deck already, this deck just simply doesn't need more draw support than it already has. Running 1 copy of Hala also sometimes led to me tunneling on searching for Tapu Lele just to play it, wasting a bench space.

Ultra Ball and Mysterious Treasure - Max copies, no questions asked. If you were to cut a copy for some spice, it would be 1 copy of Mysterious Treasure, else you are running 4/4 for maximum consistency. This isn't just about searching out your Pokemon, but also setting up your discard pile for Zeraora GX and making sure that energy is already in the discard so that Rayquaza GX's ability never misses. These cards offer consistency and speed on two levels in that regard.

Wishful Baton x4 - You want to keep your energy on the board as much as possible. I can see cutting 1 copy as an option for making space, but this card is one of the reasons why this deck can work so well. Preserving your energy so that Ray GX can continue to immediately respond to threats turn after turn is what makes this deck so powerful in my eyes, and Wishful Baton is a huge assist in making that happen.

Choice Band x2 - Choice Band is primarily for Zeraora GX as a back up attacker as well as Pheromosa. I never want these on Ray GX seeing as how Ray can easily hit 250+ damage by sheer energy count. It's still a good back up plan in my eyes.

Rescue Stretcher x2 and Pal Pad x2 - Running recovery cards is just simply mandatory as a way to compensate for Ray GX's ability. Rescue stretcher in particular is fantastic at acting as an "Ultra Ball" for your discard pile after you discard off of Ray GX. I used to run 3 copies of Rescue Stretcher but found myself never needing it.

Thunder Mountain Prism Star x1 - This used to be one copy of field blower, but I figured that with the increase in stadium usefulness lately, this gets the job done a lot better with more benefits to me than just blowing away a Shrine of Punishment. Not only is field blower incapable of removing Prism Star stadiums like this and Heat Factory, but Thunder Mountain allows me to use Zeraora GX's GX attack for free when I see it and allows it and Rotom to attack for only 2 energy a piece. This path makes it harder for me to deal with Pokemon tools like opposing Wishful Batons, but it makes Zeraora GX and Rotom even better.

16 Energy Pool - I've tried 7/7 and I can feel the difference. 14 energy just really isn't enough when you're looking to cycle through as much energy as possible in the first two turns of the game. Getting 10-11 energy onto the field by the end of Turn 2 of the game is very common for this deck, and 14 is just not high enough of a ceiling to realize those numbers at the same consistency.

Feedback is always welcome. Thanks for reading.

P.S. Cards I have considered depending on circumstances:

Drampa GX x1 - if Shrine of Punishment + Non-GX attackers becomes a very popular play, Drampa GX might be a good option for turning Shrine of Punishment in your favor for good Berserk damage. Ray GX can only hit 90 with 3 energy in play, but Drampa can hit for 150 and OHKO most non-GX attackers for only 3 energy in play in these circumstances. That being said, I think Ray hits hard enough & sets up fast enough to take out non-GX attackers that can't accelerate energy as fast.

Lugia GX x1 - Fighting resistance and base 170 damage gives you a good trade vs Buzzwole and an attacker that can close games by Guzmaing a Lele for game and does not have the inconvenient prize condition that Pheromosa has.

Devoured Field x2 - I've considered adding 2 copies of Devoured Field on top of Thunder Mountain to give me some more stadium wars power. Granted Rayquaza GX has only 180 HP, this stadium doesn't exactly give the opponent anything to work with to OHKO Rayquaza GX any sooner than they already would. On the other hand. this gives Ray GX access to numbers like 190, 220, and 250, of which 190 being the most important. However, this isn't a card I would use in most games and perhaps would do better as Field Blowers instead.
I believe that this decklist is perfect, it is a great way to accelerate energy into the discard so that Rayquaza can get really easy OHKO.

Back