News 'Eevee-GX Box' in January!

FlashRayquaza

Rayquaza Fan
Fighting weakness can easily be covered by Weakness Policy with everyone supposedly running fewer Blower counts (probably gonna get laughed at for that suggestion though)

Weakness Policy isn't that bad but honestly would you run it just for a pre-evolution?

Being able to retrieve any 3 cards from the discard isn't bad for a [c] cost, seeing as people run Decidueye and Banette which have identical but less energy efficient GX attacks.

Banette and Decidueye were played for their Ability/regular attacks and not for their GX attacks. It's a nice backup though but only if your opponent is unable to OHKO next turn.

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
I don't know Japanese but that Flareon only needs 2 fire energy to attack (the last one is colorless) and judging from the fire symbol in the text, it seems to me that we only discard fire energy, meaning we only discard 1 (BROKEN) or 2 (more reasonable).
Correct me if I'm wrong with this logic.
Also, I don't know if it mentions it, but maybe you discard ALL fire energy on it?

It's probably 2, Bright Flame's been used on Pokemon such as Turtonator GX before.

WinterShorts

Aspiring Trainer
Lol Eevee-GX has more HP than Marshadow-GX. I know it's already stated above but I still can't help but call that hilarious. Anyway it's good. Maybe it doesn't have an ability that let's it immediately evolve unlike the SUM Eevee, but I do like the healing side of the effect if it manages to take a hit from a Zoroark-GX or untriggered FBL Buzzwole. Happy Maker is also nice for maybe getting back some Eeveelutions back to your hand.

Jolteon-GX is gonna use a heckin lot of support from the newer sets. Thunder Mountain / Counter Gain / Tapu Koko Prism Star to do 2HKO damage for one energy attachment, Eletripower to do even more damage, and that can add on very quickly (plus you still can attach Choice Band) and there's probably something else I'm missing. And you can also do the same thing with the GX attack except you force your opponent to use a Guzma on you which is super nice.

Vaporeon-GX, whatever I say about him I'm thankful he isn't a disaster like his EX counterpart. So many attackers that do X amount of damage and then do Y damage for each water energy attached to it. I mean at least it's a good Hydro Pump attack but I'm starting to feel if people use this with Quagsire (for a single example) then Quagsire might have better partners than him. His bulk should be super nice though. This ability can stack so it has the potential to be really annoying when attempting to KO one of these guys, and if that wasn't enough it has more healing on it's GX attack to undo everything. Although, that's an attack and not an ability, so....eh. Still better than Vapreon-EX. I just hate the previous Vaporeon so much :p

Flareon-GX looks among top tier in terms of first attacks of the Eeveelutions only. Attach 3 fire energies when you get them into your hand (easy if you devote to it by playing cards like Fiery Flint), and it's on a basic pokemon essentially, simply by attaching to the SUM Eevee (assuming it doesn't rotate by the time these come out, I hope not) and then letting loose. There's probably a couple possibilities with that attack, attach all 3 onto Reshiram-GX without it being in the active and GX attack next turn, attach to Flareon-GX and then some, that first attack is definitley nice, and if you were charging to the Flareon-GX then you can do 190 damage! (220 damage with band). My question is how would you constantly attach the energies afterwards (assuming it discards 2 energies and not 1, if it only discarded one then it would be busted)? If that GX attack is what the translation's #1 guess is, that's pretty good. Use up all of your fire energies and then just attack for one energy. Maybe you won't get all the fire energy in your discard pile, but it does seem just pretty good in that specific instance.

A little bit disappointed that it looks impossible to make an Eeveelution deck using all the Eeveelutions for weakness (since all the Eeveelutions need more cards committed to the strategy it wants, and unless of course someone here can prove me wrong), but in their own individual right they're good cards, and I'm happy about that.

FossilJockeyMG

Pokémon Paleontologist
I'm somewhat interested in running Eevee-GX simply because then I can run an 8 Eevee deck.

Admittedly, it probably wouldn't be that great of a deck unless we get more Eeveelution options. In expanded it could cause some hilarity. You can pair the GX Eeveelutions with the Eeveelutions that add Fire/Water/Electric to Stage 1s. Then all of your Eeveelution-GXs would be 3 types. :p

du_megaman

Aspiring Trainer
Wow these are surprisingly playable. Vaporean will find its way into the Quagsire decks that play Manaphy for double healing and Flareon might help with the Reshiram/Ho oh decks

Last edited:

GamePhoenix

Fellow Mortal
Jolteon has potential! If it evolves from Eevee it will be a rouge at least, but if it evolves from Eevee GX then im not so sure.

WinterShorts

Aspiring Trainer
I just realized, Rainbow Energy wouldn't actually be bad with the Eeveelutions when these come out. Sure, it wouldn't synergize with the SUM Eevee, but with Eevee-GX, you can attach Rainbow Energy to guarantee whichever energy you want, then heal off the damage counter with the ability. I see a little bit more potential, just thought I'd leave that there.

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
If Eevee GX is being released alongside Vaporeon GX, Jolteon GX and Flareon GX, shouldn't their respective evolutions be reading "Evolves from Eevee or Eevee GX" seeing that there are also Eeveelution cards that simply evolve from Eevee?

Dar Ksereth

Aspiring Trainer
If Eevee GX is being released alongside Vaporeon GX, Jolteon GX and Flareon GX, shouldn't their respective evolutions be reading "Evolves from Eevee or Eevee GX" seeing that there are also Eeveelution cards that simply evolve from Eevee?

not really. all those cards evolve from regular eevee. eevee GX has an ability to allow it to evolve into one of them, but not backwards.

don't think there's ever been a pokemon who had an "evolves from X or Y" on it.

LatiosKing2216

Likes creative Pokemon stuff
Yes!! Finally the wait is over!

I'll be honest, I thought these cards were going to suck. However, they seem to actually possess strong attacks this time.

I just love the artwork on Vaporeon-GX! And I can see it being good with Quagsire/Tapu Fini/Aqua Patch. The fact that it has 210 HP makes me happy, too.

Chimecho3000

Aspiring Trainer
not really. all those cards evolve from regular eevee. eevee GX has an ability to allow it to evolve into one of them, but not backwards.

don't think there's ever been a pokemon who had an "evolves from X or Y" on it.

Blissey ex from EX Unseen Forces could evolve from Chansey or Chansey ex. :)

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
  • Eevee-GX - I Love this card! That makes consistency to some Eeveelution GXs like Espeon and Sylveon. 3 Geodudes
  • Flareon-GX - NO Geodudes yet because the card isn't final.
  • Vaporeon-GX -We have Aqua Patch and Quagsire. This could smash the numbers. And also, it's weak to Grass since commonly all Water-types in the TCG are weak to Grass unless Electric if some Water Pokémon resists Grass in the VGC like Gyarados, Ludicolo, and Empoleon. 3 Geodudes
  • Jolteon-GX - This is nuts! We have Electropower and Thunder Mountain, it can do a lot of damage for a cheap AC. 5 Geodudes

Alex Sableye

Official Pokemon Connoisseur of the Unova Region
These are much better than I was expecting. Quad Vaporeon looks fun/broken with Lana, Rough Seas, and Quagsire.

Lanstar

The Cutest of Ladies
Just imagine: Quad Vaporeon-GX. Heals 120 damage, and add Choice helmets/Dumbells for extra protection, and Lana/Manaphy for even more healing... This might make a healing strategy really viable for once - depending on how good/bad 1-hit strategies will be.

Aera14

Aspiring Trainer
Lol Eevee-GX has more HP than Marshadow-GX. I know it's already stated above but I still can't help but call that hilarious. Anyway it's good. Maybe it doesn't have an ability that let's it immediately evolve unlike the SUM Eevee, but I do like the healing side of the effect if it manages to take a hit from a Zoroark-GX or untriggered FBL Buzzwole. Happy Maker is also nice for maybe getting back some Eeveelutions back to your hand.

Jolteon-GX is gonna use a heckin lot of support from the newer sets. Thunder Mountain / Counter Gain / Tapu Koko Prism Star to do 2HKO damage for one energy attachment, Eletripower to do even more damage, and that can add on very quickly (plus you still can attach Choice Band) and there's probably something else I'm missing. And you can also do the same thing with the GX attack except you force your opponent to use a Guzma on you which is super nice.

Vaporeon-GX, whatever I say about him I'm thankful he isn't a disaster like his EX counterpart. So many attackers that do X amount of damage and then do Y damage for each water energy attached to it. I mean at least it's a good Hydro Pump attack but I'm starting to feel if people use this with Quagsire (for a single example) then Quagsire might have better partners than him. His bulk should be super nice though. This ability can stack so it has the potential to be really annoying when attempting to KO one of these guys, and if that wasn't enough it has more healing on it's GX attack to undo everything. Although, that's an attack and not an ability, so....eh. Still better than Vapreon-EX. I just hate the previous Vaporeon so much :p

Flareon-GX looks among top tier in terms of first attacks of the Eeveelutions only. Attach 3 fire energies when you get them into your hand (easy if you devote to it by playing cards like Fiery Flint), and it's on a basic pokemon essentially, simply by attaching to the SUM Eevee (assuming it doesn't rotate by the time these come out, I hope not) and then letting loose. There's probably a couple possibilities with that attack, attach all 3 onto Reshiram-GX without it being in the active and GX attack next turn, attach to Flareon-GX and then some, that first attack is definitley nice, and if you were charging to the Flareon-GX then you can do 190 damage! (220 damage with band). My question is how would you constantly attach the energies afterwards (assuming it discards 2 energies and not 1, if it only discarded one then it would be busted)? If that GX attack is what the translation's #1 guess is, that's pretty good. Use up all of your fire energies and then just attack for one energy. Maybe you won't get all the fire energy in your discard pile, but it does seem just pretty good in that specific instance.

A little bit disappointed that it looks impossible to make an Eeveelution deck using all the Eeveelutions for weakness (since all the Eeveelutions need more cards committed to the strategy it wants, and unless of course someone here can prove me wrong), but in their own individual right they're good cards, and I'm happy about that.
Don't for get that that for Vaporeon-GX we have Rough Seas and you could do some funny thing with Leafeon-GX in the active that right there is a total heal of 200hp with four Vaporeon-GXs!

DuoForce

Semi-Ace Trainer
>Can evolve Vaporeon, Jolteon, or Flareon from Eevee GX

Reminds me of how there were basic EX pokemon back in the day like Chansey and Syther