News Rumored New Pokemon Appears Publicly in 'Pokemon GO,' Then Vanishes!

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
I bet Meltan's ablity in the Gen 8 game is Unaware or Flash Fire since LGPE reverts anything back to Gen 1. I still hate why they didn't remove Phy/Spe split in LGPE. Thry remove held items and abilities in this game

CynderDarkov

Aspiring Trainer
Eh I guess I ate my own words. Just another boring mythical boring to me *shrugs*

Also the fact that GO is required to get this in LGPE just further cements me not wanting to play it. And I really hate to bash on a Pokemon game, let alone one that hasn't even came out, but it's very clear that the games are not for me by any stretch and I just need to accept that.

Raven Zombie

Dark/Ghost Trainer
time to drop some knowledge on some of you...

for everyone calling it a bolt... its a nut, a bolt is what screws into a nut.

the name Meltan, is a reference to the words Melt and Molten, melted metal.

also people thinking the GO part is unfair... first of all, its not in go yet, just a ditto disguised. we probably cant get it until lets go. its not unfair if you dont want to do things required to get something for free. now i do agree with this, in terms of 'so far the only thing wanting me to get lets go, is 1 exclusive pokemon'. i would have to buy a switch, the game, and probably a better tv.

fleshrum

Cephalophore
Keep the two experiences seperated please! Let's hope gen 8 returns to normal.

I can't comprehend this complaint. Pokémon has always been a franchise across media. Knowledge from one media is almost always transferable to another. The direction of games on different platforms, rather than cartoon>game and vice versa, isn't much of a leap from previous games across platforms like colosseum or w.e. Considering the hype surrounding GO, this is neither illogical nor unexpected.

I don't like it either. I didn't like it when I was a kid. But calling it abnormal is bizarre.

TheRealBro..

I can't comprehend this complaint. Pokémon has always been a franchise across media

It really is pretty simple. I do not like Pokemon GO as it is a very different (in my opinion inferior) Pokemon experience and I don't want to download it on my already overly full phone. Also I'm afraid the popularity of it will eventually interfere with the quality of the main games, but that's another topic.

I now apparently have to support something I don't want to support if I want to get the ''only'' new Pokemon. See that? That's my complaint. Not that Pokemon would be transferable between the two game types. That's fine. With separate I meant not needing one to get the full experience out of the other because they are very different games.

FossilJockeyMG

Pokémon Paleontologist
I now apparently have to support something I don't want to support if I want to get the ''only'' new Pokemon. See that? That's my complaint. Not that Pokemon would be transferable between the two game types. That's fine. With separate I meant not needing one to get the full experience out of the other because they are very different games.

A couple problems here. I'll conceed Pokemon GO is watered down compared to the core games. However, people like it and it expands the brand so assuming that there won't be bleed over is naive. I don't think, outside of Let's GO, there will be a lot. Future games may allow transfer from GO to main games (but not vice versa), which I see as no big deal. It's an option for getting older Pokemon the same watch catching them on the Pokewalker or something was.

As for a GO exclusive mythical, given how mythical have been dealt with lately you just have to wait and eventually there will be a GameStop code event. GO players will get there's earlier than , but that's about it. Of course, trading is an option, so you could still get one without having GO.... or you could try to be at least a little nice to a GO player and see if they'd be willing to send their Meltan to your game. I don't see the reason why players of GO and players of the core games have to be so segmented.

Then again, I've been playing since Red and Blue, but also enjoy GO. I enjoy it for different reasons (I can play a quick few mins of Pokemon on my lunch break). I look forward to these experiences merging so the Pokemon horded on my GO account can eventually make their way to my main game (especially the shinies).

Alex Sableye

Official Pokemon Connoisseur of the Unova Region
Why did we even need this? The flavor text is creative, but the body and name are just... Lackluster.

TheRealBro..

However, people like it and it expands the brand so assuming that there won't be bleed over is naive.

I'm not assuming anything. You're calling me naive because I'm hoping future main games won't be watered down?

Future games may allow transfer from GO to main games (but not vice versa), which I see as no big deal

Agreed (as already stated in my post above). Transfer is not the problem, I understand that that will be possible and that's fine.

As for a GO exclusive mythical, given how mythical have been dealt with lately you just have to wait and eventually there will be a GameStop code event. GO players will get there's earlier than , but that's about it. Of course, trading is an option, so you could still get one without having GO.... or you could try to be at least a little nice to a GO player and see if they'd be willing to send their Meltan to your game. I don't see the reason why players of GO and players of the core games have to be so segmented.

It's not about being afraid I can not get the Pokemon. It's the principle (again, read my posts above). I just don't like what they're doing here. That is my opinion, you're free to disagree : )

FossilJockeyMG

Pokémon Paleontologist
I'm not assuming anything. You're calling me naive because I'm hoping future main games won't be watered down?

You said in one of your earlier posts how you want GO and future games to be separate, however at this point I think THAT is the part that's naive. ("Keep the two experiences seperated please! Let's hope gen 8 returns to normal.") From your wording it seemed you defined "normal" as having zero GO interactivity or influence.

Do I want all games to become GO? No. Do I want them to be completely separate as it seemed your first post was insinuating? Also no. I think transfer is fine. I think motion controls for catching (if optional in non-Let's GO games) is fine. If GO is treated as the PokéWalker was or how Pokémon Ranger was (an optional game you can get that may get you a rare pokémon in your main games from time to time), I see no reason for them to be isolated. I've found it expands my experience, if taken into context that at some point I can send these shinies or legendaries to my main games. It means I can play pokémon even when I don't have my Switch on me.

You said you don't want to feel you need GO to get the full experience. Even in this scenario you wouldn't. You didn't need Ranger to get the full 4th Gen experience. It just meant you probably got Manaphy from a different event or via trade. I don't see why you would need GO to get Meltan when more than likely within a few months to a year of Let's GO/GO players getting it, it will then be available again, likely as some distribution for the 2019 Switch game. :p

Honestly, I'm having a hard time understanding the fear people seem to have of GO taking over the entire franchise. I mean, were people worried the Pokémon TCG would cause the main games to just turn into a TCG based game with all of the original RPG elements scrapped? Did Pokkén Tournament replace the main games? Did Pokémon Ranger? I just feel that a lot of the concern is unfounded at this point, especially since the "core" pokémon games are infamous for being too similar! It's a common complaint that every game is basically collect the badges, beat the evil team, and become champion (which is a fair assessment). After 20+ years of little change, I feel people expecting a rampant overhaul has zero precedent in this series, even if it present in other series. Sure, GO makes a lot of money, but then again the Pokémon franchise wasn't exactly not lucrative before it. (If it ain't broke, don't fix it.)

As for the "principle" being the thing that bothers you, I'm not sure which "principle" you are referring to. I thought, based on this being a Meltan thread, that is was the fact that players of GO get Meltan. If it's simply you're worried about all future games becoming GO ports, I feel that is a slippery slope that doesn't really have any evidence. If 2019 is a "Let's GO" game, then we'll talk.

Last edited:

Lostlorn Forest

Alola is the best region
Pretty lame if you ask me. I guess what it adds to Pokemon is about as fitting as what these games add - very little.

Lostlorn Forest

Alola is the best region
Well, one could say that for a lot of mythicals, to be honest. How much do Volcanion or Meloetta add to the games?
Despite their potential viability in both the VG and TCG, not much. But this thing looks so weak and uninspired that I doubt it will be useful in any way. Unless it is a Magikarp to a yet-revealed Gyarados...

TheRealBro..

You said in one of your earlier posts how you want GO and future games to be separate, however at this point I think THAT is the part that's naive. ("Keep the two experiences seperated please! Let's hope gen 8 returns to normal.") From your wording it seemed you defined "normal" as having zero GO interactivity or influence.

Yes, but by separated I don't mean no trading between the games as explained in earlier posts (that would be naive). I don't want watered down experiences and having to get GO to get the Pokemon from a new gen first handed. I don't think hoping that doesn't happen is naive at this point, as it has happened only once (being now).

If it's simply you're worried about all future games becoming GO ports, I feel that is a slippery slope that doesn't really have any evidence. If 2019 is a "Let's GO" game, then we'll talk.

Not exactly. I actually don't think that is the case at all. If you missed my point by now, don't worry about it : P.

FossilJockeyMG

Pokémon Paleontologist
Despite their potential viability in both the VG and TCG, not much. But this thing looks so weak and uninspired that I doubt it will be useful in any way. Unless it is a Magikarp to a yet-revealed Gyarados...

Well, TCG is kind of moot because potentially any pokémon can be printed as an OP card. Joltik (Night March) and various versions of Garbodor have proven looking weak or having a garbage design (literally) doesn't mean anything for the TCG. Most mythicals are just thrown at us as marketing ploys (Hey look! You haven't caught them all, here's another!) which is a role any new pokémon could fill, this time it was Meltan that took that role. I meant in terms of adding to the game in terms of story. I can't really assess VG viability without knowing more about its stats and such. There are several pokémon that show you can't judge a book by its cover, especially before they are fully revealed. Zygarde is a poster child for this in that we didn't know how good it could be even after it was initially released. It wasn't until the subsequent games that it became a beast. Like you said, there could be a hiding Gyarados. Even if it isn't hiding in Let's GO or Pokémon GO, it doesn't mean it won't be hiding in the 2019 game.

If you missed my point by now, don't worry about it : P.

Apparently I have, because I'm not sure what you're saying if you are simultaneously saying you don't want to play GO for Meltan and think that waters down the experience, but then realize that that same pokémon will likely be given out another way later. I guess it's menot understanding how getting Meltan handed to you in one game or another (which hypothetically we likely will have more events giving it away besides the one for Let's GO/Pokémon GO) is watering down the experience. If anything, it just means you might miss out on Day 1 access to a pokémon you don't even seem that excited about. I still feel getting Meltan from GO to send to Let's Go is analogous to having to get Pokémon Ranger to send Manaphy to Diamond and Pearl. If that is a proxy, we got Manaphy other ways so I'd assume we would with Meltan too. Skipping Let's Go/Pokémon GO will likely not keep you from getting Meltan in a Gen 8 game.

Last edited:

Raven Zombie

Dark/Ghost Trainer
you do realize we are talking mythical pokemon right? 3/4 of mythicals, on looks alone, seem like weak mons, add to the fact that we dont know much about Meltan compared to over 20 years of knowing a floating cat fetus.

TheRealBro..

Apparently I have, because I'm not sure what you're saying if you are simultaneously saying you don't want to play GO for Meltan and think that waters down the experience, but then realize that that same pokémon will likely be given out another way later. I guess it's menot understanding how getting Meltan handed to you in one game or another (which hypothetically we likely will have more events giving it away besides the one for Let's GO/Pokémon GO) is watering down the experience. If anything, it just means you might miss out on Day 1 access to a pokémon you don't even seem that excited about. I still feel getting Meltan from GO to send to Let's Go is analogous to having to get Pokémon Ranger to send Manaphy to Diamond and Pearl. If that is a proxy, we got Manaphy other ways so I'd assume we would with Meltan too. Skipping Let's Go/Pokémon GO will likely not keep you from getting Meltan in a Gen 8 game.

Allright. So something like this has happened once before. I don't like that either, get it? It isn't such a big deal. I just don't like what they do there (trying to make you get a totally different Pokemon game to get the full experience out of another). That is the principle I'm referring to ; ) If you have a problem with that, that's fine, but it is my opinion. I don't think every game from now on will be a GO port (like you stated), I just hope this isn't gonna be something regular (because of the popularity of GO) and seeing as it hasn't happened that often that isn't naive.

I think we understand each other. If not, let's give it a rest.

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
Can’t say I like it. Typing is also boring. It all comes down to its stats and ability for me.