'Explosive Impact,' Japan's SM8 Set; Raises Questions About Switch Release

Plaquesanta

೭੧(❛〜❛✿)੭೨
Whoah! The ability on that Tyranitar is ridiculous. Too bad it's a stage two with wonky energy requirements.

ForeverRanger91

Aspiring Trainer
Suicune GX? And it is actually pretty damn good. Built in Acerola effect plus reduced damage is always a plus. Could see play in Greninja.

Wechselbalg

brb
OK, I really want to know what the Faba supporter and Lusamine Prism do. Waiting patiently for the translations...

On another note: f*ck yeah Forretress. That second attack is probably some sort of self-destruction thing though.

Plaquesanta

೭੧(❛〜❛✿)੭೨
Using my phone's crappy machine translation, it looks like unown's ability gives you a win condition if you have 35 cards in your hand???

If true, it's the king of all meme decks. I'm calling it now.

Plaquesanta

೭੧(❛〜❛✿)੭೨
The other Unown looks like you get a win if there are 66 damage counters on the board. That actually seems kind of doable in a casual setting.

that ivy guy

Aspiring Trainer
The other Unown looks like you get a win if there are 66 damage counters on the board. That actually seems kind of doable in a casual setting.
I think it's your side only? Guess we'll see soon enough.
MISSING is 12 supporters in opponent's lost zone for win I believe, also maybe slightly feasible.

j2y8n2x

Aspiring Trainer
I like the new hammer!
(Discard one energy from any Pokemon on the field to discard pile)
(You cannot use this card on your first turn if you attack last. )

I also think Smeargle can potentially be very good.
(See your opponent's hand, and choose a supporter card, and then use the supporter card)

Last edited:

Plaquesanta

೭੧(❛〜❛✿)੭೨
I think it's your side only? Guess we'll see soon enough.
MISSING is 12 supporters in opponent's lost zone for win I believe, also maybe slightly feasible.

Overall it looks like there are some really creative card effects in this set, even if they're not really usable.

My crappy translation also seemed to say that you have to use a supporter that turn if you have 12 in the lost zone.

Oh, I bet React Hammer is a Lost Remover reprint

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
Reading what little Japanese that I can, Memory Energy is ba--wait. Was Memory Energy ever a thing? Or am I just confusing it with Memory Berry? There was that and Shrine of Memories, I think. I really can't recall if Memory Energy existed. Which, I suppose, is ironic that I can't remember a card about memory.

Also, very interested to see what Lost Mixer, I think, (between Moo Moo Milk and Choice Band) and Lusamine Prism Star do!

WinterShorts

Aspiring Trainer
GOOD GOD I FLIPPED WHEN I SAW ALL THIS! TYRANITAR? CELEBI PRISM STAR! SUICUNE-GX!?!? LARVITAR HAS AN ABILITY!?!? LUSAMINE PRISM STAR!?!? GOOD F-

Ok. Alright. Let me evaluate things here one at a time.

Tyranitar-GX first since I wanted him to be a GX more than anything else. Oh my god he puts things in the Lost Zone when he gets a knock out, energies and all. The attacks are both pretty good, 2HKO damage and 30 spread damage to some key pokemon like Rayquaza-GX, and your classic simple KO damage for your GX attack that can even go through Hoopa if you really want to. My question is how are you going to charge it? It looks really difficult since I don't recall any dark energy acceleration in SM-on (please remind me if there is!). So far I only have Darkrai-GX's ability into Energy Switch for energy acceleration on this guy. I would love to make him work if I could.

Suicune-GX!? I did not expect that at all, but that's awesome given that we needed to complete the trio of the legendary dogs on GXs, and so far I think he's the best out of all of them. The ability seems useless and reminds me of that cruddy Starmie we got in Crimson Invasion (or Shining Legends, I can't remember and I'm too lazy to open another tab). I guess it's more of an emergency kind of ability if it takes too much damage from say Shrine of Punishments or it took a hit from Zoroark-GX or other pokemon that do 2HKO damage. Weird ability, I like it, but what matters most are it's attacks, one doing 2HKO damage while resisting attacks, the other being Golisopod's GX attack to put it back on the bench for a chance to use the ability (Don't forget 180 damage with Choice Band getting a KO on things like Tapu Lele-GX and Rayquaza-GX). I think this was meant to be a Pokemon that wants to be invincible as long as you can make it, unfortunately at the cost of redoing all the charging up to get to using it's attacks, but like I said eariler I think it's the best of the legendary dog GXs and I have high hopes for it.

Oh man, just looking at these other cards, Celebi PS, Elm's Lecture in all of it's glory, Jumpluff, Blissey, there's a Whitney card!? So many cards, so much interest, so many gimmicks, so much fun! I can't wait for all these to be translated!

ForeverRanger91

Aspiring Trainer
Celebi isn't that good really. Greninja GX maybe could use it but Frogadier's pitiful HP makes that not worth it. Were it an ability, it would be busted but better.

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
Oh, and Faba has something to do with the Lost Zone too!

I've been looking forward to more cards that interact with the Lost Zone. It was such an interesting mechanic that I'm glad was brought back. Just look at that Skiploom and Jumpluff!! ...Might be a bit too clunky to pull off, or at least do 1-hit KO's, but I'd love to make a deck with them.