• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Raticate BREAK / Shrine of Punishment

EdGeorge92

Aspiring Trainer
Hi all,

Please forgive me as I am a relatively inexperienced deck builder and I am trying to thrash out this fun idea I have had knocking about. I doubt I am the first to come up with this, but I'd love some feedback on this list.

The strategy I am going for here is to get Raticate BREAK out as quickly as possible and take big KOs on my opponent's active EX/GX through Super Fang and then Shrine of Punishment. Worst case, if it isn't a GX/EX, use Bursting Balloon to (hopefully) knock them out if they attack next turn. Testing online has proved that the concept can work, but I am not sure if this is as optimised as I'd like.

The main pros of the deck are that most of my opponents don't expect Raticate BREAK and Shrine combo to knock out their 200+HP GX. I also like the addition of Tauros GX to get powered up through Shrine of Punishment for a late-game Mad Bull GX which has been clutch in a lot of games.

So far, the major cons are Buzzwole, Buzzwole, Buzzwole and Buzzwole. I am wondering if Weakness policy is a good idea in this deck, but when Buzzwole gets powered up, the weakness is irrelevant anyway.

Without further ado, here's what I have come up with:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 17

* 1 Oranguru SUM 113
* 4 Rattata EVO 66
* 1 Tauros-GX SUM 156
* 4 Raticate BKP 88
* 4 Raticate BREAK BKP 89
* 1 Tapu Koko PR-SM SM30a
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137

##Trainer Cards - 39

* 4 Bursting Balloon BKP 97
* 1 Acerola BUS 112
* 1 Pal Pad UPR 132
* 1 Lusamine CIN 110
* 4 N FCO 105
* 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 4 Shrine of Punishment CES 143
* 4 Puzzle of Time BKP 109
* 2 Special Charge STS 105
* 3 Guzma BUS 115
* 1 Brigette BKT 161
* 2 Cynthia UPR 119
* 4 Ultra Ball ROS 93
* 2 Super Scoop Up FFI 100
* 2 Nest Ball SUM 123

##Energy - 4

* 4 Double Colorless Energy SUM 136

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Straight off the bat, I am pretty sure my mix of trainers is completely wrong. I am not sure if I need -Sycamore and +Cynthia but its not quite right in that department. In terms of pokemon, I have tried to include the best DCE attackers going, but I may have missed some obvious choices.

Any feedback would be very much welcomed :)

I would do these changes:
-1 Acerola (Raticate has too loo of HP to not take a knockout)
-1 Lusamine (You have pal pad)
-2 Nest Ball (You have briggette)

+1 Brigette
+2 Nihlelego GX (To put the poisoned to get the in between turns knockout)
+1 Pal Pad (In place of Lusamine

i would take out the puzzles. the effect is really good for this deck, but it only really works in decks with unnaturally consistent draw (i.e. zoroark, sylveon, etc).

+1 Brigette
+2 Nihlelego GX (To put the poisoned to get the in between turns knockout)
+1 Pal Pad (In place of Lusamine

Thanks - I really like the idea of Nihlelego, that's something I hadn't considered. I will start testing with that for sure.

i would take out the puzzles. the effect is really good for this deck, but it only really works in decks with unnaturally consistent draw (i.e. zoroark, sylveon, etc).

I do see your point, but if the puzzles go should I also remove the bursting balloons or would you keep them?

I think that everything @Benjamin Haisley said sounds about right, with the exception of the Lusamine/Pal Pad. Lusamine is supporter retrieval. I’d also do

-1 Sycamore
-1 N

+1 Energy Loto
+1 Cynthia

This ensures that you can get your special Energy out at least a little more consistently. The Supporter balance casues a 3-3-3 to happen, which I think is a good combo.
That’s what I think. See ya!

I do see your point, but if the puzzles go should I also remove the bursting balloons or would you keep them?
i think bursting balloons, under all circumstances, are gimmicky and not that good, but hey this is a gimmicky deck so you might just wanna take that idea and run with it. i would keep them in here though because it gives you another avenue to knock out the opposing pokemon (albeit an unideal one), and there appears to be plenty of space in this deck for them, and it's not like you'd want to run any different tools.

Back