'Explosive Impact,' Japan's SM8 Set; Raises Questions About Switch Release

The cards are looking good so far. Hopefully, we'll see Bellossom in this set, and although I highly doubt it, my fingers are crossed that Scizor is released as a Grass-type just like it was in DP Stormfront.

Does Poipole count as the third UB? @steffenka did he count in FLI? I forget.
It did not count in Forbidden Light. Forbidden Light was listed to have 6 Ultra Beasts, and had Pheromosa, Xurkitree, Poipole, Naganadel, Buzzwole, Guzzlord and Ultra Necrozma (7). Whether or not this is the case here, idk, but of the remaining Ultra Beasts (that aren't in this set) Nihilego and Stakataka are the only ones to not have received a non-GX card (and I don't think they would print Stakataka again), so I'd say it's likely that the 4 Ultra Beasts are Blacephalon, Nihilego (as either Fighting or Psychic), Poipole and Naganadel.

Last edited:
What's going on with Ami Ami lately? Fairy Rise sold out before it released and they haven't replenished stock. Everywhere else is either sold out or overpriced. Now SM8 is "orders closed" for a while now and it's still weeks away from releasing. Where can I get this from instead at a fair price?

EDIT: Dark Order is also 'orders closed' and it's not out until October. It's bizarre!

Sud the Woodo: nah.
Choice Helmet: Better than its Band cousin? No. Still useful in other situations? Heck yeah. OHKO decks, the Choice is yours!

Cheese factor: 7

Blacephalon-GX is irredeemably sucky.
First of all, for that effect, 50 damage per Fire Energy sent to Lost Zone is shamefully low. Plus, it permanently destroys resources, which is never ever a good thing.
Blacephalon’s GX attack is basically “Take a Prize card”, but with the added effect of attaching it if it’s an Energy. Unfortunately, it’s not good enough to warrant using it in any deck.

Lugia-GX is really cool.
190 is really bulky for a Basic, and it has resistance to Fighting.
Psychic is a good attack, DCE and a Basic Energy to deal 2HKO damage to loaded Defending Pokémon.
Wadatsumi’s Spear is good too. It would be better if it did 180 damage instead of 170, but it’s just enough to get OHKO damage on Basic GXs, and most Stage 1s too.
Lost Purge-GX is incredible. Broken even, compared to other GX attacks that do the same thing. You basically sacrifice a OHKO for removing a large number of your opponent’s cards in play. Think: if up against Zoroark, one could wait for the opponent to evolve one, attach a DCE, attack a Choice Band, and then Lugia-GX can attack to remove all of those key cards from play.

Baby Naganadel is a good one-of in Beast Box (4-3 line of Naganadel-GX with 1 Naganadel).
Since Beast Box runs Basic Energy, and a lot of that Energy goes into the discard via retreats or Max Potions or even KOs, baby Naganadel can set up slowly and safely. 110 (the attack with Choice) isn’t bad for 2HKO damage, and if you have 3 Prizes, that’s 190 damage with Choice and a potential OHKO on Basic GXs.

Draw Stadium... something you want early game that can persist to late game.
HOWEVER. It’s still easily removed by another Stadium or an attack.
For the effect it has, its rather weak. Maybe if you drew 4 cards, but 3 is still too low. It’s basically like CES Swampert but it has to be a Fire Energy that gets discarded.

Blacephalon/Infernape would be an awesome deck. Base 20+60 Burn+Choice Band=110. You can even tech in Lurantis, and you've got 130 damage for one energy. You can use the second attack to mop up the game.
In Expanded, Blacephalon could be a tech for Volcanion. Three Steam Up+Bursting Burner+Choice Band=160 damage. Nice.

Baby Naga is a meme deck at best.

That Stadium provides some nice draw support for Fire...

Blacephalon could be good as a one of in a fire deck. I doesn't care if you have fire energy spread about your board, so it could be a really good finisher in a fire deck. GX isn't bad, first attack makes it seem as though it's designed to be a deck centerpiece though.

It did not count in Forbidden Light. Forbidden Light was listed to have 6 Ultra Beasts, and had Pheromosa, Xurkitree, Poipole, Naganadel, Buzzwole, Guzzlord and Ultra Necrozma (7). Whether or not this is the case here, idk, but of the remaining Ultra Beasts (that aren't in this set) Nihilego and Stakataka are the only ones to not have received a non-GX card (and I don't think they would print Stakataka again), so I'd say it's likely that the 3 Ultra Beasts are Blacephalon, Nihilego (as either Fighting or Psychic) and Naganadel (and Poipole).

Aren't there supposed to be 4 UBs in this set?

At least, that's what the press release from a few weeks back stated: http://www.pokebeach.com/2018/08/lost-thunder-to-be-largest-set-in-tcgs-history-by-far

It did not count in Forbidden Light. Forbidden Light was listed to have 6 Ultra Beasts, and had Pheromosa, Xurkitree, Poipole, Naganadel, Buzzwole, Guzzlord and Ultra Necrozma (7). Whether or not this is the case here, idk, but of the remaining Ultra Beasts (that aren't in this set) Nihilego and Stakataka are the only ones to not have received a non-GX card (and I don't think they would print Stakataka again), so I'd say it's likely that the 3 Ultra Beasts are Blacephalon, Nihilego (as either Fighting or Psychic) and Naganadel (and Poipole).
It makes sense for Nihiligo to be Psychic. None of the other Ultra Beasts changed type when they got a baby, No reason to do it now. And it doesn't hurt that it wouldn't have synergy with Buzzwole.

Edit: Spelling

Last edited:
Reread Heat Factory’s translation. It only works for whoever owns it.
AFAIK, there has never been a Stadium card in the ~20 years they've existed that only affects one player (even the other Prism Star Stadiums) - I see no reason why they would change that now. I believe the card may have been mistranslated/misinterpreted.

Then again, I can neither speak nor read Japanese, so I can't say for sure there was a mistake - I'm just arguing that the logic doesn't check out

Blacephalon could see some play.... I guess. Not amazing but good gx attack. And btw what kind of name is heat factory? They make heat at a factory? But its not that good. Naganadel is pretty bad. I still think Lugia GX is very good

I like seeing the increased lost zone play.
Mind Blown reminds me of Magnezone Prime's attack. "Send as many [L] energy attatched to this pokemon to the lost zone. This attack does 50 for each energy discarded this way". But it was for 2 [L] and 1 colorless energy. And it wasn't a basic pokemon. Which makes Blacephalon GX superior.

So far SM8 is looking like a tech card set.

Nothing worth basing an entire deck on, but definitely a handful of things that can have value in addition to other decks.

Heat Factory Prism Star is particularly interesting to me. It turns Lisia into a draw supporter (technically anyway) while also grabbing something else, such as Victini Prism Star as a mid/late game attacker that synergizes well with throwing energy into the discard pile.

Back