'Explosive Impact,' Japan's SM8 Set; Raises Questions About Switch Release

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life
I think we may get a new type in the TCG soon. So far in every SMb set we had a set based off of three types. SM6b was Dragon Storm based off of Dragon, Fire, and Water types. SM7b was Fairy Rise based off of Fairy, Grass, and Psychic types. And now SM8b is Dark Order based off of Dark, Lightning, and Metal types. This leaves only Fighting and Colorless to get representation in SM9b. So we need a new type to complete the trilogy. I think we may get Ice or Poison. Since in Dragon Majesty there were no Water types to represent ice (except Lapras who's also a water type), though it is also worth mentioning that there is an Alolan Vulpix that's water in Fairy Rise. Poison is another candidate since there are no Pokemon to represent Poison at all. Which can't be said for Ghost or Bug. Of course, Rock and Ground are also possible (though there is a fighting Trapinch in Dragon Storm) along with Flying.

Andy Sheppard

Fire Pokemon Afficiando
Advanced Member
I really wish the devs would hurry up and reveal Blacephalon-GX. I'm tired of keeping my hopes up for it. Either make it suck and disappoint me again, or make it a god and brighten up my day. Just stop leaving me hanging like this!

MarshalBry

Aspiring Trainer
The A type card reprints were for the XY series. I’m sure that the new Lele will be a new promo number meaning we will have an extra year of it being legal. Japan has a reprint set each of the last 2 and this upcoming November. So their format will differ from ours in the 2019 when we go to crimson or prism on and they stay sm on.

Except a bunch of our sun & moon promos also have the A (mostly blister promos). I don't remember any specifically other than Alolan Vulpix and one or two tin promos(?) but there's definitely several.

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life
The A type card reprints were for the XY series. I’m sure that the new Lele will be a new promo number meaning we will have an extra year of it being legal. Japan has a reprint set each of the last 2 and this upcoming November. So their format will differ from ours in the 2019 when we go to crimson or prism on and they stay sm on.
We had several "A" cards in SM. Like the shiny Baby Koko or Alolan Vulpix. Also every japanese SM set has either an A or B in a little box. A is for every card before UPR and B is for every set after. The exceptions being reprints which keep the A. So it's likely PCL will just rotate out all "A" cards and make it UPR-on worldwide.

Attix

Electric Delivery Driver from Washington
Well, the attacks are pricy, but it's an okay mon...

Colorless Pokémon generally ask for a lot of energy for their attacks, in order to balance out them accepting any type and being able to be charged up with DCE's.

Advancer

The old tree that still blooms.
If you look closely at the Miltank art on the side of the box, you can see Whitney in the background. I wonder if she is also featured as a supporter in the set, and if so, if it does anything similar to the Metagross + Steven's Resolve combination in SM7 / Celestial Storm.

Ashblaze

Full Art Supporter Hunter
I was hoping blacephalon was gonna be good but that attack is risky putting energy into the lost zone, atleast you can be a little even with Lysandre prism and do it to the opponent too, I was hoping the last prism star stadium would be ANY other type, but sadly it’s suppose to be fire cause of blacefalon , I shall never use it but it will shall still be collected all three stadium prism have really nice art,

THERE BETTER BE A WHITNEY FULL ART I WOULD LOVE IT (technically I would love any full art that gets made it just grows the full art supporter collection) currently that makes two full arts if Whitney becomes official but I still want one more, 7 is a lucky number for full arts for the English set lost thunder, cause at the moment 4 are official being judge, kahili, morty and Mina(god I want Mina) and then the information of elm full art from an old-ish post, I just can’t wait

Trent Piland

Aspiring Trainer
Was there a Whitney card announced? I may have missed it, idea on what it does?

I was hoping blacephalon was gonna be good but that attack is risky putting energy into the lost zone, atleast you can be a little even with Lysandre prism and do it to the opponent too, I was hoping the last prism star stadium would be ANY other type, but sadly it’s suppose to be fire cause of blacefalon , I shall never use it but it will shall still be collected all three stadium prism have really nice art,

THERE BETTER BE A WHITNEY FULL ART I WOULD LOVE IT (technically I would love any full art that gets made it just grows the full art supporter collection) currently that makes two full arts if Whitney becomes official but I still want one more, 7 is a lucky number for full arts for the English set lost thunder, cause at the moment 4 are official being judge, kahili, morty and Mina(god I want Mina) and then the information of elm full art from an old-ish post, I just can’t wait

Perfect_Shot

Armored Core>Elden Ring
Wow that Blacephalon sucks. The Naganadel is filler too and the Stadium is barely better than Scorched Earth. Lugia is somewhat playable but many cards have an easier time hitting the same numbers.

This is looking to be a filler set.

PlatinumDude

Aspiring Trainer
Surprised Head = Mind Blown, Blacephalon’s signature move in the games.

Anyway, banishing your energies just to attack kind of sucks.

Heat Factory is pretty much Scorched Earth on steroids but it only works for you.

Baby Naganadel combos nicely with the GX version’s Stinger to put yourself at 3 prizes.

Zipplip

Aspiring Trainer
Wow that Blacephalon sucks. The Naganadel is filler too and the Stadium is barely better than Scorched Earth. Lugia is somewhat playable but many cards have an easier time hitting the same numbers.

This is looking to be a filler set.
These are literally the only cards that have been revealed right now, so I say wait until maybe say 15-20 cards be revealed before making a full judgment.

DragonFang101

Funky China Man
That Blacephalon is disappointing at best. Looks like the average Blacephalon deck will be similar to Guzzlord. Meme decks anyone?