Help Best Greninja-GX Archetype Post-Format?

Trainer Josh

Competitive TCG Player
After doing some research on potential post-format decks, I came upon Greninja-GX from the Forbidden Light set. Having been a huge fan of Greninja BREAK myself, I was excited to see what kind of deck builds people came up with for its GX version. So I looked into it and found multiple lists pairing Greninja up with Glaceon-GX, Zoroark-GX, and even Alolan Ninetales-GX! Before I invest the time and money into creating one of these decks, I wanted know, which archetype do you think will be the most competitive in the upcoming format? Feel free to mention any other Pokemon you believe are viable in a Greninja-GX deck, I only mentioned those three because I have found they are the most reoccurring in post-format deck builds.

Adding an image of each card, so you don't have to scour the internet looking for one yourself.

165671_200w.jpg

165672_200w.jpg

165673_200w.jpg

130921_200w.jpg

157656_200w.jpg

146715_200w.jpg

Last edited:
personally, I have tried a few versions, and any stage 2 deck is going to be better with Zoroark, but without puzzles and special energy hate, zoroark might be relegated to just a draw support pokemon than an archetype. If I was to pick a non-zoroark version, I'd go with a focus on Greninja, maybe with a think ninetails line to hit numbers. Glaceon I feel is too clunky.

Definitely Zoroark/Greninja, the fact you can spread and shuffle back into the deck. Also, they both require DCE to attack.

Glaceon has ability lock, which is nice against Metagross and Zoroark, but it's too clunky. Ninetales hits numbers and has higher consistency, but sacrificing a turn to search out a Pokemon in going to shuffle away three turns later isn't ideal. Zoroark has consistency, and 2HKO 's almost everything, so that seems like the best choice.

I'd love to see the lists used by people that think Ninja/Glace is "clunky", I've played it a ton and while it has issues it's definitely not clunky at all, it's also worth mentioning that it loses far fewer cards to rotation than Zoroark/Ninja does.

Zoroark Ninja will probably be the best Greninja build post-rotation anyway because Zoroark is a monster but people have been and still are far too quick to write off Glaceon as a partner to Ninja imo

I’ll vote for Zoroark as well. This deck could’ve been good pre rotation but parallel city was all over the place and really crippled the deck. Once parallel is gone this deck should be pretty good. Ninja just helps Zoroark hit the correct numbers so well.

I've found a lot of success with a spread variant involving Shining Legends latios and flying flip koko.

Back