Discussion Blacephalon GX Predictions

MiniMads

The misunderstood Hero of Disasters
We know very little about Blacephalon GX. All we know is the following
  • It will be called Blacephalon GX
  • It's GX attack will be called Burst GX (following the UB code name GX attack trend)
  • It will release on November 2nd in Lost Thunder.
With Blacephalon being my favourite Ultra Beast, I'm really hoping that it's competitively viable. It's typing is really something to consider as well. Psychic is the obvious preference, however Grass could gain traction after November so Fire could be good. I think that the card will probably look something like this:

Blacephalon GX - Fire - HP170
Basic Pokemon - Ultra Beast

[R] Flame Burst: 30 Damage. If your opponent has an Ultra Beast in play, this attack does 30 more damage.

[R][R][R][R] Mind Blown: 210 Damage: (Not sure on the wording on this one) This Pokemon can discard all of the energy attached to it or do 80 damage to itself.

[R][R][C] Burst GX: This attack does 60 damage to all of your opponent's Pokemon. Your opponents active Pokemon is now burned. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Weakness: Water (x2)
Resistance: Grass (-20)
Retreat: 1

I hope this doesn't sound too OP, but I think the low HP and high energy costs balance it out (Kiawe does still exist but whatever). I hope I'm close and tell me your own predictions!

WillyCharizard

Aspiring Trainer
Burst Gx sounds to be be like that but Ultra Necrozma already had a similar attack so Im not sure plus would it need a prize condition like the other Ultra beast, I dont know about the attacks but maybe an ability as an oposite of stakataka, busting 10 damage more to ultrabeasts attacks

Last edited:

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
Lol it doesnt sound close to OP that would be a garbage card. Also the GX attack has to do with prizes it's a UB rule. Also you want the card to be fire otherwise its weakness will be dark and that's very very bad

Timmony_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
Blacephalon-GX - Fire - HP 170
Basic Pokémon - Ultra Beast

Ability: Pop & Draw - Once during your turn (before you attack), you may discard a [R] Energy from your hand, then draw 2 cards. If this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, draw 1 more card.

[R][R][C] Mind Blown: 40+: You may put up to 8 damage counters on this Pokémon. This attack does 20 more damage for each damage counter that you place.

[R][R][R] Burst GX: This attack does 30 damage to each of your opponent’s Pokémon for every Prize Card your opponent has taken.

Weakness: Water (x2)
Resistance: None
Retreat Cost: 1

Andy Sheppard

Fire Pokemon Afficiando
Advanced Member
Blacephalon-GX had better be a fire-type god. Fire has been getting crapped on for the past year, and I am sick and tired of it.

Andy Sheppard

Fire Pokemon Afficiando
Advanced Member
Why would that make you quit?
Fire is my absolute favorite type. It's been getting crapped on by the devs for the past year. When I'm only playing this part-time (I'm a VGC player first and foremost), I expect it to be worth my while.

Last edited:

OppositeAttract

Aspiring Trainer
Blacephalon needs to be a fire pokemon, 1 fire has been underdeveloped for several sets and while Reshiram seems decent they really need better support to become viable, 2 by offering a fire ultra beast fire pokemon can utilize one of the most OP cards right now in Beast Ring. Psychic doesn't Blacephalon, but fire not only needs Blacephalon but they also need it to be good.

Andy Sheppard

Fire Pokemon Afficiando
Advanced Member
Blacephalon needs to be a fire pokemon, 1 fire has been underdeveloped for several sets and while Reshiram seems decent they really need better support to become viable, 2 by offering a fire ultra beast fire pokemon can utilize one of the most OP cards right now in Beast Ring. Psychic doesn't Blacephalon, but fire not only needs Blacephalon but they also need it to be good.
This^^. You said it much better than I could. Fire is about to take a huge beating from rotation.

Mega Mewthree...

A new threat has appeared.
I personally would prefer a psychic type. Maybe one with some damage spread.

Ex.
Blacephalon GX-psychic- HP170
Basic Pokemon - Ultra Beast

[P] 10 Damage: Discard a basic energy attached to your opponents active pokemon.
[P][P][C] 100 Damage: Do 20 damage to each of your opponents benched evolution pokemon.
[P][P][P][P] GX 180 Damage+: This attack does 10 more damage for each prize card you have taken.

Weakness: Dark x2
Resistence: Fighting -20
Retreat cost: 2

This card might see a small amount of play.
Sorry I couldn't think of any attack names.

OppositeAttract

Aspiring Trainer
I personally want a GX attack that does like 10 or 20 amount of spread damage, plus burns all of your opponents pokemon. In doing so, Wela Volcano Park would then become somewhat of a threat.

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
I personally want a GX attack that does like 10 or 20 amount of spread damage, plus burns all of your opponents pokemon. In doing so, Wela Volcano Park would then become somewhat of a threat.
I don't think Benched Pokémon can be Burned. Also wouldn't that require you'd play with 6 Burn markers? :p

MiniMads

I don't think Benched Pokémon can be Burned. Also wouldn't that require you'd play with 6 Burn markers? :p
Yeah, benched Pokemon can't be affected with special conditions directly, however you technically need 6 poison/burn counters anyway because you could poison the active every turn if it's a different active.

pikachuuuu101

Custom Title
Yeah, benched Pokemon can't be affected with special conditions directly, however you technically need 6 poison/burn counters anyway because you could poison the active every turn if it's a different active.
When a pokemon retreats all special conditions are removed

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
But wouldn't you just switch the marker around? If my Active gets Poisoned (marker on), I switch it out (marker off) and the new Active gets Poisoned (marker on again on new), I would only need one, wouldn't I? Anyways, this probably isn't the right thread for this :p

I really hope Blacephalon is a Fire-type (it is the only Fire-type UB after all, and we already have Psychic Poipole, Naganadel and Nihilego (and DW Necrozma)), so I'm hoping for something like this:

Blacephalon GX HP180 [R]

Ability: Fireworks Show
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may leave both Active Pokémon Confused.

[R][R][C] Mind Blown: 180 damage. This Pokémon does 90 damage to itself.

[R][C] Burst GX: If your opponent has taken any Prize cards, this attack does 40 damage to each of your opponent's Pokémon. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)

Weakness: [W] x2
Resistance:
Retreat: [C]

MiniMads

When a pokemon retreats all special conditions are removed
My mistake, I thought trainers bypassed that.
But wouldn't you just switch the marker around? If my Active gets Poisoned (marker on), I switch it out (marker off) and the new Active gets Poisoned (marker on again on new), I would only need one, wouldn't I? Anyways, this probably isn't the right thread for this :p

I really hope Blacephalon is a Fire-type (it is the only Fire-type UB after all, and we already have Psychic Poipole, Naganadel and Nihilego (and DW Necrozma)), so I'm hoping for something like this:

Blacephalon GX HP180 [R]

Ability: Fireworks Show
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may leave both Active Pokémon Confused.

[R][R][C] Mind Blown: 180 damage. This Pokémon does 90 damage to itself.

[R][C] Burst GX: If your opponent has taken any Prize cards, this attack does 40 damage to each of your opponent's Pokémon. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)

Weakness: [W] x2
Resistance:
Retreat: [C]
I like the ability on that, and the small retreat cost really compliments that nicely.

OppositeAttract

Aspiring Trainer
I know that bench pokemon can't be burnt, but there has also already been several GX attacks that break the established rules of the game, such as Zygarde GX being able to utilize its GX attack more than once in a game, Naganadel resetting the prizes of both players, and Nihilego/ Xuriktree adding prizes which made me think burn spread would be an interesting GX attack for pokemon to utilize. At the very least it's an interesting idea, which I feel like is more than what I can say for many other GX attacks.

Last edited: