Gamestop Groudon Promo, 'Trade & Play' Events Now Held at Gamestop with New Freebies!

Number51x

Blasting off at the speed of light!
I'm beginning to doubt the event is even a thing. Do we have a source for this story? I can't confirm any part of this except the Groudon promo.

FossilJockeyMG

Pokémon Paleontologist
After speaking with some of the employees at my local GameStop, the event was said to be August 3th (tomorrow), not the 5th. I'm not sure if this is company wide or just for the particular store I went to.

Also the promo is Treecko.

Attachments

• 38265826_10156487148978164_5768608577128235008_n.jpg
    38265826_10156487148978164_5768608577128235008_n.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 15

Number51x

After speaking with some of the employees at my local GameStop, the event was said to be August 3th (tomorrow), not the 5th. I'm not sure if this is company wide or just for the particular store I went to.

How will it be conducted? About what time? Was it a particularly large store?

FossilJockeyMG

Pokémon Paleontologist
How was it conducted? Was it a particularly large store?

1) It hasn't been conducted yet. I said the employees said it is supposed to happen tomorrow. I just was able to get a picture of the Treecko. I haven't actually gotten one.

2) Not particularly. Most Gamestops aren't. None are on scale to TRU. In the past our local GameStops have had informal pokémon trade events, and yes, it has been cramped.

Number51x

1) It hasn't been conducted yet. I said the employees said it is supposed to happen tomorrow. I just was able to get a picture of the Treecko. I haven't actually gotten one.

2) Not particularly. Most Gamestops aren't. None are on scale to TRU. In the past our local GameStops have had informal pokémon trade events, and yes, it has been cramped.
did they mention a specific time or was it an all day kind of thing?

i've contacted 3 stores now and none of them have any info. Guess I'll try the main phone line...oh god...

Last edited:

Number51x

If you are able to, would you be able to go back there and get some specifics on the event (or maybe which store so I can call them)? There is just no info out there. I've called or visited 4 Gamestops now and none of them know anything about it.

Diamondyoshi04

Aspiring Trainer
If you are able to, would you be able to go back there and get some specifics on the event (or maybe which store so I can call them)? There is just no info out there. I've called or visited 4 Gamestops now and none of them know anything about it.
I called my local GameStop today and they said that they will start giving them out tomorrow.

Number51x

I called my local GameStop today and they said that they will start giving them out tomorrow.
Yeah, but do you mean the Groudon or the Treecko? Everyone seems to know about the Groudon, I just got off the phone with the corporate help line and even they don't have any info to share on the Trade and Pay event.

Diamondyoshi04

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah, but do you mean the Groudon or the Treecko? Everyone seems to know about the Groudon, I just got off the phone with the corporate help line and even they don't have any info to share on the Trade and Pay event.
I mean the Treecko, but now I just called again to confirm and the guy I just talked to said he doesn’t think so, but the first time I called the lady said they are giving them out so I guess only some employees know about it.

Number51x

I mean the Treecko, but now I just called again to confirm and the guy I just talked to said he doesn’t think so, but the first time I called the lady said they are giving them out so I guess only some employees know about it.

Ugh, this is going well...

Thanks for calling them though. Every little scrap of info helps!

Number51x

Ok, I have a theory. I think the Trade and Play event will actually be the 17th; the same day GameStop starts selling the Celestial Storm build and battle boxes. Past Trade and Play events, from what I can see online, you had to pay to play because there were prizes and you built your deck from a build and battle deck like a pre-release. This timing is more in keeping with when the promo event was done under Toys R Us, about two weeks after the set release.

I guess we'll see what happens.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to my room full of news clippings stuck to the wall with bits of red string connecting them.

Swampert Full Art

#GROOKEYGANG
I went to several Gamestop stores and asked if they had any info on the "trade and play" event on Sunday, and not a single person knew what I was talking about. One person handed me the Xerneas and Yveltal codes and said "Is this what you're talking about?"

CYL

All hail Eevee!
Has anyone been to a Trade & Play? I haven't been, wanted to know how the event works.

Edit: and does anyone know how long the stocks for the freebie promo lasts until they're gone :D

Asrialys

Aspiring Trainer
Has anyone been to a Trade & Play? I haven't been, wanted to know how the event works.

Edit: and does anyone know how long the stocks for the freebie promo lasts until they're gone :D
From my little experience, my local Toys R Us had tables set up with coloring pages, the set's "Collector Album," and some other merchandise for sale. People would line up for the promos at first, and then kids would take out their binders for trading.

TheAquaPiplup

Aspiring Trainer
They give out the Treecko promo, a paper playmat/poster, and kyogre/groudon codes at the event.
The playing really didn't happen at the event I went to.

Edit: The events are happening today-this weekend

Last edited:

Number51x

I went to several Gamestop stores and asked if they had any info on the "trade and play" event on Sunday, and not a single person knew what I was talking about. One person handed me the Xerneas and Yveltal codes and said "Is this what you're talking about?"

The last store I asked, the manager almost pee'ed her pants trying desperately to give me some kind, any kind of answer. It was hard to watch.