Media Current Movies Discussion!

GrandPanacea

Thread Necromancer
Advanced Member
Since my last post, I've seen both The Incredibles 2 and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.

I absolutely adored Incredibles. I went and saw it with my DM and the other elf player in my current D&D campaign. It's everything I wanted and then some.

JW:FK was... Well, it was entertaining. I enjoyed how it had a tonal shift towards the middle. There were some major scientific inconsistencies with the volcano stuff, and ever since my friend pointed them out, they've been bugging me. Best part was Baby Blue though.

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕
I went to go see 'Ant-Man and the Wasp' Saturday morning with my family (just before Articuno day began). The movie's been getting decent reviews, but I knew I was gonna see it anyways, but I absolutely loved it. I thought the villain(s) (depending on how you look at it) made a lot of sense, and though their motives were selfish they were incredibly understandable. I thought the plot was interesting, and with how much was going on it explained why Ant-Man wasn't involved with Infinity War (though he most likely will be somehow next year). But yeah, overall it was a great movie, definitely better than the first one which was pretty iffy in my opinion [9/10, Really Liked].

CF1994

Aspiring Trainer
The Incredibles 2 was definitely worth the wait.

While the villain can feel like a massive step down from Syndrome, our main cast remains as awesome and funny as I remembered.

I certainly liked Helen getting a bigger arc this time around, even if it is obvious feminist propaganda, no offence.

While I didn't realise it at first, the movie certainly featured the talents of Phil LaMarr and Paul Eiding, who would be familiar faces to animation veterans like myself.

Jack-Jack once again stole the show, even more so when Bob Parr dropped him off at Edna's for one night. There's even a comic somewhere that highlights some really fun moments between Jack-Jack and Edna.

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
I've recently seen Ocean's 8 and The Incredibles 2, so here's a bit on both of them:

Ocean's 8 I actually found pretty enjoyable. I admittedly haven't watched the original Ocean's trilogy for a long time so I don't know how I'd rank it compared to them though. My personal highlights were Rihanna, Helena Bonham Carter and Anne Hathaway who I thought all did great jobs.
I do think it had some flaws though - I found the plot to be somewhat predictable, and I didn't really care for James Corden (though that's probably because I dislike him anyway lmao). Overall a 7/10.

The Incredibles 2 I loved. I was a fan of Helen being in the forefront (which I found a nice contrast to the first one), and Jack-Jack was a real highlight (particularly with Edna). I thought the villain was well thought out, and I thought the motives behind the scheme was actually quite interesting. It definitely lived up to the original (and tbh, before I saw it I did have my concerns that it would be another mediocre sequel, so being wrong about that made me happy). Overall I'd give it a 9/10.

Professor_jplap

Aspiring Trainer
It seems that with Incredibles movies the villain/antagonist is always against supers and trying to take advantage of them rather than trying to take over the world which I love. I can't wait for Incredibles 3 should Pixar decide to do that.

Wechselbalg

brb
Isle of Dogs - great stop-motion animation, gorgeous 2D artwork, good voice acting. The story is basic, (although it has a few political elements that are relevant today, but nothing incredibly deep) but this film is worth a watch even for the artwork alone, especially on a cinema screen.

Last edited:

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕
I just saw 'Crazy Rich Asians' like an hour ago with my family. I love how the movie takes familiar tropes and still follows the rom-com formula yet it revitalizes them and makes a new genre almost. It's a really cute and endearing story, it'll make you want to laugh and cry by the time it's over. I absolutely loved this film, it's a must watch for sure. [9.5/10, Loved].

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕
So I just got back from seeing 'Searching' this afternoon with my friends. For sure an interesting movie and it's definitely one I'm going to be thinking about for a bit. However the mysteries, twists, and turns the movie takes leave the final outcome a little bit predictable. But either way it's a great suspense movie, and there're quite a few "holy sh*t, that just happened" moments that got me really good. [7/10, Liked].

GrandPanacea

Thread Necromancer
Advanced Member
Since my last post, I have seen two more movies in theatres. One I would recommend, and the other I would definitely not recommend.

Happytime Murders is the one I would not recommend. Definitely a movie for adults.

Kin is the one I would recommend! It's a low-key sci-fi movie with a focus on the relationship between two adopted brothers as they're fleeing a group of thugs who want the older brother dead. The sci-fi part involves the younger brother having found this crazy future tech gun, and he's the only one who can use it. Unbeknownst to them, they're being followed by two futuristic soldiers who are trying to get the gun back. Anymore would be spoilers, so I'll leave it at that.

optimal_max

Aspiring Trainer
Best movie I've seen in the last few years is Infinity War. Not looking forward to Captain Marvel though.

Don't like the new Star Wars stuff at all.

However, I DID see an old movie that I never watched before that was AWESOME - Scott Pilgrim Vs the World

I see that my post was edited to protect the fragile snowflakes, even though I used no inappropriate language or posted anything false or misleading...

Last edited:

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
I just watched A Star Is Born and trust me. Believe. The. Hype.

Lady Gaga completely embodied her role, and often stole the scene she was in (and even though I've been a big fan of hers for a while, I initially had my doubts about her acting, although I'm happy that I was proved wrong). Every song her vocals were on point, and honestly I don't think I'd pick anyone who could've done the role as much justice as she did.
Bradley Cooper completely stole the show. He had completely the right energy and did seem like a bonafide rockstar. He and Gaga had perfect chemistry together, and honestly I think he's a real contender for best actor at the Oscars for this (I wouldn't be surprised if Gaga got nominated for best actress, however I think she'd be more likely to lose it).

The songs were brilliant; in particular, I'll Never Love Again and Is That Alright are two of my standouts. I also enjoyed Heal Me and Hair Body Face (although they're more pop-sounding, not unlike something Gaga might have had on one of her albums).

Overall it's probably the best film I've seen this year. I'd definitely recommend it.

Last edited:

mymanga003

Aspiring Trainer
Kingsman: The Golden Circle. Fabulous motion picture, with the exception of one plot gadget that is utilized that is... To a great degree uneasy and pointless. I'll abstain from making reference to it, because of spoilers and also it not being suitable for the site. That aside, however, it was very engaging, and the battle scenes were the first rate. There's likewise a superstar who I at first idea was an appearance, who ended up having a full supporting job, and nailed it. Like, the best part about the film. Sharp edge Runner 2049 (and by expansion, the anime short film Blade Runner 2022 Black Out, which is a tie-in). I had high trusts in this, as I'm fairly enamoured with the first, and other media dependent on Phillip K. Dick's books, and I was the correct inverse of baffled. The pacing was staggering, and it didn't feel like an almost three-hour motion picture (I have Read Yaoi manga.), and it additionally didn't feel hurried. The development of the primary character was astounding, and the arrival of Rick Deckard was sublime. Truly, outstanding amongst other jobs I've ever observed Harrison Ford in. Ever. Truly, the main grievance I have about the motion picture is Jared Leto's acting, however, I couldn't care less for him in any case, so I might be one-sided? Next motion picture will probably be Murder on the Orient Express. It may be the new Pokémon film, however. Relies upon my work routine.

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
I just saw Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald and I found it pretty messy, and overall underwhelming. The locations, effects and actual beasts were good, but as for the rest of it... it felt like there was no real plot, just a lot of sub plots that were only half done and so there could be stuff for the next instalment.
Most of the actors were good, but Johnny Depp as Grindelwald just didn't convince me. Like imo he just didn't bring that certain thing to the role that I think someone else could have.
The romances in this film feel quite forced as well imo, like half of them felt like they didn't add anything and too much time was spent focusing on them rather than other, more important things.
Leta Lestrange was one of the most interesting characters introduced, had huge potential as far as character development goes (seeing her relationship with Newt and how that developed could've been really interesting), and imo Zoë Kravitz did a really good job portraying her.... and then they killed her off. It just felt really underwhelming and a complete waste.
Credence is actually a Dumbledore - I'm hoping that that's just something Grindelwald said and isn't actually a thing. It just doesn't really fit with the established canon.

Overall I give it a 3.5/10. I'm just gonna wait and hope that Fantastic Beasts 3 is worth it.

Tippy

Aspiring Trainer
Lots of movies out right now that I'd like to see. Why do they all happen at once?! Fantastic Beasts, Wreck-It Ralph, Bohemian Rhapsody, and the new Pokemon movie. I don't know which one to choose for my next outing.

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
I'm working at a movie theater right now, but got to see about an hour of Bohemian Rhapsody, the Queen/Freddie Mercury biopic. It was really good, the reviews have been just as good, and the role of Freddie was cast and played beautifully.

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕
So I saw 'Aquaman' a few days ago with some friends. Not gonna lie this was definitely a visually beautiful movie, and some minor plot points actually make this interesting, as there's a small focus on the pollution of the waters by "land dwellers". However largely the movie, despite its great fight scenes, was predictable and hard to fully enjoy as it stuck with the DC norm: a sub-par plot. [7/10, Liked].

DragonFang101

Funky China Man
Hey guys, so I went out with a few friends and saw Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

I had close to no expectations for this film because I didn't know how good it was, but all I can say is that it was much better than advertised!
Without giving too much away, I want to say that hey excellently put together multiple animations styles and comic book stylings into a modern superhero masterpiece. 10/10