Major 'Pokemon Switch' Rumors Today -- A Breakdown and Analysis!

Gruffling

Aspiring Trainer
Like many people there are a few things about these rumours that I don't like the sound of. But we don't know if these are main series games or even if they're real. Anyone can create a domain name or fake a domain name registry form and anyone can create a fake logo or even fake a trademark registry form. Always keep a hefty heaving pile of healthy scepticism around at all times unless you can verify beyond a shadow of a doubt that something is true, primary sources or bust.

Literally the only thing we know for certain is that Mr Masuda took a picture of his Luigi Pikachu, that is so far the only fact.

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
We need Pokemon Stars first. Even if it's set in Kanto, I would really like a Pokemon Stars.

No. Pokemon Stars will never, and should never, happen. Even in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, it was hinted that IF they were to be released as one game, it would have been called Pokemon Eclipse. Which is, in fact, a MUCH better name.

Anyway, this news makes me mad, even if it isn't real. If it's fake, Nintendo is (in a sense) getting 'punked' into registering fake domains. If it's real... then I've already made myself clear on this situation.

Attix

Electric Delivery Driver from Washington
I think two years is too fast for a new gen. If these are real, then they're probably spin-offs and we won't see Gen VIII until Fall 2019 at the earliest. But that's just my guess.

Tails19950

Aspiring Trainer
The Masuda twitter picture basically confirmed the rumors. Masuda, aware of them, is either trolling or they are real. But, in all honesty, why can't GF create a franchise that becomes a new flagship instead of trying to promote other games like Go? What I mean is, that Switch's catchphrase is "Gaming Freedom" and Zelda BotW and SMOdyssey did exactly that. They were open world, giving you the option to play just as you'd like.

By giving the fans the same region five times it basically ruins the whole "Exploration" theme. The pokemon are already known, the region is known and the story is the same (it's a remake) and they are building on nostalgia. IMHO the Switch needed a new region with Open World Capabilities (Play any Gym any time) with the pokemon following you, with graphics like BotW and that is challenging for new and older fans (include a BF for example!)

But, sitting on a golden goose can't be left unexploited. And a game can't please everyone.
BOTW gave us Hyrule... they just approached it differently. His may do the same with Kanto

pine_ddog

Chaotic Neuteral
Probably is not Gen VIII, so I'm not disappointed. If this is Gen VIII, then I won't be too excited, if they handle this how I think they probably will. Depending on how well the Go capture system works, this could be pretty fun, they could still incorporate fighting into the capture system, maybe it decreases the chance of the Pokemon moving if they are damaged. Fights would play out the same, it'd just be the capture system they change, as capturing Pokemon has been a chore before. This has a lot of potential. We'll find out more at E3 most likely, so I'll withhold judgement until then.

The Red Genesect

The robot that made it past Captcha
Yeah but X and Y had the least Pokémon so far and I think that’s because of the gen 1 stuff. Rhyhorn racing could have been Gogoat racing, Professor Sycamore had the Kanto starters, and where are my gen 5 Mega Evolutions? We only had one and it was terrible. I think the reason that there were no Kalos Mega Evolutions is because X and Y just came out and they wanted people to like the gen 6 Pokémon for what they were while they were new and not add anything onto them, (other than Mega Diancie,) but there is NO excuse for one Mega Evolution for Unova. Now what this has to do with Kalos pandering to Kanto is that Unova and Kanto are sort of counterparts (by both having a total of around 151) and yet they gave a bunch of Mega Evolutions to Kanto Pokemon including some unnecessary ones like the fact that Charizard and Mewtwo have two Mega Evolutions (it’s not like Charizard and Mewtwo are the two most popular Pokémon already). I’ll come back if I have more reasons.
I just remembered the thing that made me have the opinion about Kalos pandering to Kanto more than any other generation. XY Evolutions

Hackzo23

Nerd? i prefer the term, intellectual badass

The real domain that was registered was:
pokemonletsgoeevee.com
and
pokemonletsgopikachu.com

By giving the fans the same region five times it basically ruins the whole "Exploration" theme. The pokemon are already known, the region is known and the story is the same (it's a remake) and they are building on nostalgia.

Leaks never say it’s a remake, it’s been repeatedly stated it’s a reboot, meaning same region, but different characters, and different story. Also you’re assuming a lot. Saying same Pokémon and same story is jumping the gun when nothing has been released about the games. There could be new Pokémon introduced. And like I stated earlier, it’s a reboot so a different story. Don’t let your hatred for Gen 1 get in the way of common sense. Also, make sure you read the leaks/rumors before assuming anything.

where are my gen 5 Mega Evolutions?
The reason there weren’t any was because Gen 5 is the least favorite generation. Why focus on a generation very few peopl like?
If you noticed, most mega evolutions were for fan favorites. Even the ones that weren’t fan favorites weren’t hated either. Gen 5 is definitely the black sheep of Pokémon. Very very few Pokémon introduced in Gen 5 are good.
There are so many that are bad, i.e. elemental monkeys, musketeer trio, vanilluxe line, garbodor line to name a few.
Now maybe Gen 5 will get some love in the distant future if or when they get a remake/reboot, but that’s probably not gonna be for 5+ years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hackzo23

I don’t get what’s up with everyone complaining about these “supposed” games.
Anyone who complains about any Pokémon game doesn’t seem like a true Pokémon fan.
I’ve played from the beginning ‘98/‘99, so I have an affinity towards Gen 1 but I do like every generation for one reason or another.
I feel a true Pokémon fan would just be happy just for getting a new Pokémon game. Yet I read people complaining/saying Pokémon is dead/saying that they’re not buying it/or even saying they’re quitting.
Seriously? How can you call yourself a fan when you say you’re quitting just from the titles being released? If you’re really gonna act that way, please leave. You’re what’s making this community toxic.
I personally am really happy for these games, but honestly, I would be happy with anything. Whether that’s Gen 8, gen 4 remake, or A yellow reboot.
I don’t get what’s with everyone complaining about Kanto being thrown in their faces either. Kanto hasn’t been in a game since heart gold/ soul silver. That’s 8-9 years! Maybe it’s just me, but that’s quite a long time Since we’ve been there. And if you’re talking about Kanto references in the games, we’ll sit back down because I’m about to drop a bombshell on you...they do that for every generation! Look in any of the newer games and you will find someone/something that references any generation.
One last note-if you look chronologically, firered/LeafGreen came out before diamond and pearl, so it technically makes sense that they would redo those games before they redid diamond and pearl.

Gruffling

Aspiring Trainer
One last note-if you look chronologically, firered/LeafGreen came out before diamond and pearl, so it technically makes sense that they would redo those games before they redid diamond and pearl.

No that doesn't make sense. Not at all. FRLG ARE remakes, if you remake a remake before remaking a main series game then you'll be spinning your wheels forever.

The Binder Guy

Aspiring Trainer
I feel a true Pokémon fan would just be happy just for getting a new Pokémon game. Yet I read people complaining/saying Pokémon is dead/saying that they’re not buying it/or even saying they’re quitting.
There's a difference between being a fan and blindly lapping up whatever a company throws at you because of brand recognition, just look at Star Wars and the lootbox scandal that plagued EA's Star Wars: Battlefront II and how no one bought into it despite Star Wars being a juggernaut in terms of fandom and brand recognition.

Seriously? How can you call yourself a fan when you say you’re quitting just from the titles being released?
It's not so much the titles being revealed as it is the potential "casualization" of the main games, I know a few people that weren't happy with how USUM held your hand during some portions of the game and now they're worried about these new games due to the possible connection with GO.

I personally am really happy for these games, but honestly, I would be happy with anything. Whether that’s Gen 8, gen 4 remake, or A yellow reboot.
I'm fine with Gen 8 and remakes being a thing for the Switch, but reboots (or "reimaginings" as some developers call them) always worry me. They run a fine line between being a pleasant reminder of things past while bringing a series up to date or introducing too many new things to the table while cutting older aspects that made the games good in the first place.

Zero Umbreon

Pyromaniacal sorcerer
I think people are overlooking a few things when it comes to if these will be good or not:
1: We still probably get some new forms/and or Pokémon,
2: If it’s terrible, it won’t sell, and Pokémon won’t make another one,
3: Finally, it’s been six months since US and UM. There were three years between XY and SM. This means that we’ll probably get another “normal” game in the future.

Hackzo23

No that doesn't make sense. Not at all. FRLG ARE remakes, if you remake a remake before remaking a main series game then you'll be spinning your wheels forever.
Clearly you didn’t read what I said or what the rumors said.
It’s a reboot, not a remake. Meaning different story, different characters, that just so happen to be in Kanto.

Hackzo23

There's a difference between being a fan and blindly lapping up whatever a company throws at you because of brand recognition, just look at Star Wars and the lootbox scandal that plagued EA's Star Wars: Battlefront II and how no one bought into it despite Star Wars being a juggernaut in terms of fandom and brand recognition.

That’s a very very extreme example and Pokémon has never done anything like that so to make assumptions like that makes no sense. Nintendo hasn’t done anything like that in the past so there is literally no reason to assume they would do that now.
Also Pokémon has never released a bad game, sure some are better than others, but overall none of them are bad. So to assume they’re gonna be bad, (over the titles?), makes no sense.
Thing is, you don’t know anything about this game, you’re assuming everything off the titles. But there’s also a difference between being a fan, and being a true fan.
I’d like to akin a true fan to what a true fan for a football team is. A true fan for football stays with their team, even if they’re having a crappy season. Their team is still their team. Whereas a regular fan only hops on the band wagon when the team is good. When they suck again, they don’t care about “their” team. They weren’t a true fan because they didn’t stick with them through thick and thin.
Hopefully that analogy made sense.

It's not so much the titles being revealed as it is the potential "casualization" of the main games, I know a few people that weren't happy with how USUM held your hand during some portions of the game and now they're worried about these new games due to the possible connection with GO.

From what I’ve read all it said was Pokémon go was gonna be integrated, which most likely means you can connect this game to your Pokémon go account. That’s probably it.
And if they do introduce mechanics where you through poke balls like go, it’s not gonna be a permanent thing. They will give you the option to turn it off.
Almost every mechanic Pokémon has introduced has been optional: mega evolution, z crystals, ultra wormhole using the gyroscope (if you go to gamefreak in game they turn it off so you can steer with the joystick). There’s no way they would make it a mandatory thing.
If they did make it a mandatory thing, yeah, I’d be a bit disappointed, but since we don’t know anything about it, I’m not complaining.

I'm fine with Gen 8 and remakes being a thing for the Switch, but reboots (or "reimaginings" as some developers call them) always worry me. They run a fine line between being a pleasant reminder of things past while bringing a series up to date or introducing too many new things to the table while cutting older aspects that made the games good in the first place.

Yeah, that may be other games, but you need to remember this is Nintendo. Look at Zelda botw and Mario odyssey, both reimagined, and both critically acclaimed. Nintendo’s top three franchises are: Mario, Zelda, and Pokémon. They wouldn’t do something to ruin any one of them.
Now to be honest, if these games were remakes, meaning same story as before, same characters as before, no new Pokémon, I wouldn’t be thrilled. But I’m just going of the leaks/rumors. You play as a new character, in a new story, that just so happens to take place in Kanto. Only thing connecting them to the originals is red and blue will be in them. But that could be as little as a cameo.
There will be new Pokémon according to the rumors akin to alolan forms but this time called kantonian forms. So there probably won’t be a lot of new Pokémon but there will be some.
And they almost have to do something with Eevee and pikachu. Eevee will most likely get a new evolution(s), and pikachu will probably get either a split evolution or raichu may get a mega? Who knows?

Now this isn’t directed towards you, you seem level headed, but I feel people aren’t thinking critically about this. They just see the titles or hear Pokémon go is connected or it’s set in Kanto and freak out. They don’t pay attention to the rest of the rumors. They’re letting their emotions get to them, they close their minds to the possibilities this game could be.
I just wish people would hear about a new game, (maybe they don’t like what they hear) and say, “don’t really like what I hear, but I’ll wait till I get more info, because I literally know nothing about his game.”
I don’t know, just a thought.

Hackzo23

You clearly haven’t clicked on the link :p
I did click on the link, but couldn’t tell if it was a troll or not.
Especially since the info box under the video made it seem like he was trying to pass off the links as him and the links not be legitimate.

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
I'm not extremely excited for these games, TBH. I feel we've had enough Kanto to last us the rest of our lives. I mean, if it's a re-imagining like they say it is; it can work.

But, color me unimpressed.

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life
I did click on the link, but couldn’t tell if it was a troll or not.
Especially since the info box under the video made it seem like he was trying to pass off the links as him and the links not be legitimate.
what do you mean? The video was a rickroll.

Hackzo23

what do you mean? The video was a rickroll.
I know, but I’m the video description he claims that he made the domains for let’s go pikachu and letsgoeevee and implying that he made the rumors.
Which he didn’t.