Major 'Pokemon Switch' Rumors Today -- A Breakdown and Analysis!

Thanks for the in-depth analysis, @Water Pokémon Master . I always appreciate your insights and the connections you draw between different aspects of the Pokemon marketing machine. I've learned a lot through the Pokemon machine and the culture in general that is applicable to the wider world, which is not something people would expect haha.

With regards to these rumours, I am apprehensive. In my eyes, with my own knowledge of Pokemon trends, it doesn't fully make sense.

While Lets Go! could be a spin off series, it's hard for me to see them as the flagship Gen 8 games -- we do know, after all, that Pokemon Switch will be the full-on next generation of Pokemon; with new Pokemon, attacks, etc.

Having a new generation without new starters seems ludicrous, and having a new generation with new starters and then forcing them to take a back seat to Pikachu and Eevee also doesn't seem to make sense and/or be in line with marketing tactics either (other than the fact that Gen 1 nostalgia consistently sells, which is why it always manages to find it's way into every game [except maybe X and Y.... which didn't even get a "third version"!]).

Furthermore, this new generation will surely have "box legends," just like every generation since Gen 2. Exclusive box legends sell games and are a huge part of what Pokemon main series games have become.... it would undoubtedly cut into their profits if they stopped having brand new version-exclusive legendaries because kids would be less inclined to buy both versions (as some do). Box legends are also a huge part of marketing... why have them take a back seat to Pikachu and Eevee as well? Cool new legends to market the games is huge for every generation.

Back when the Wii U launched, one of the many problems with marketing is that people were not sure if it was even a completely new system. The Switch made a huge leap and defined itself as something unique. If these are Pikachu and Eevee focused then it will, imo, hinder the idea that these games are a brand new generation... not exactly in the spirit of the Switch.

Re: Masuda: I think he's trolling us. That, or Lets Go! is a true spin-off with info coming soon, seeing as the names have been trademarked already. Something tells me there's a Flying-type Eeveeloution on the horizon... and they will likely reveal it before July to promote the movie and new generation simultaneously. The question is whether they'll show it in gameplay of the Gen 8 games if/when they reveal them in late May / June. Personally I think they'll reveal the new games before July, so that they can promote them in an ad/trailer in the theatres, like the one that revealed Trevenant (Oorotto, anyone?) and all we had to go by was people's descriptions and someone's pencil sketch of what they saw briefly in the trailer haha.

This is all without touching on the ideas put forward about Pokemon GO integration and GO-esque capture mechanics... things which I have thoughts on but don't have time to go into right now.

So yes, those are my thoughts! I don't expect anyone to read this long post, but I figured ranting it all out here would be cathartic nonetheless! If you got this far -- thanks for taking the time to hear me out! :D

Honestly, I'm gonna break down what Capturing Pokemon like in Go PROBABLY means. Considering ya'll are jumping on "Oh no it's bad because it's just Pokemon Go on the Switch" bandwagon. Can't all of you just be patient and not hate every new game based on very little for once? Honestly, makes the Pokemon fandom look bad.

What it could mean
  • Motion Controls are being added because of Joycon's gimmick.
  • Pokemon has always made use of at least one of the next generation console's new gimmicks.
  • It's most likely a "Quick Access" scenario that lets you throw the ball with your Joycon.
  • It could also lead to capture bonuses, and higher capture rates.
  • Pokemon Go's integration is NOT something to be surprised by. When Pokemon Go first came out they had hopes of being able to transfer your Pokemon from Pokemon Go to the main series games!
  • We also knew the integration was planned for Gen VII, but clearly not implemented. None of this is news.
  • The Battle System will not change from what it is. This is a given. If you don't grasp this basic concept then your freaking out is for nothing.
Also, with the domain update - it's fair game to say these are most likely legit.

Is it just me, or do other people start thinking that all of these "rumors" are GF trying to get reactions and opinions before they go with a major idea?

Welp, these rumours are sounding more and more credible by the hour...

That, or GF/Nintendo/Pokemon is really trolling us hard x)

Let's say they are real. Here's my justification:

We know Pokemon Co. thought that the Switch would be a flop, so despite the fact that they got the dev kits early, they kept SM/USUM on 3DS.

Perhaps they are still not happy with the install base of the Switch, or want to wait for it to grow further. Perhaps they want to start a brand new game off with more of a bang. So they're using Yellow remakes to test the waters, learn the console, and will release new flagship games in late 2019 or spring 2020. After all, look at the evolution of Pokemon from DPPt to BW and XY to SM.... certainly GF can push the Switch to do more with a Pokemon game than that Lapras screenshot, which looks lower in graphics capability than even the GameCube titles (in fact it looks like a 3DS port).

If they handle it right, the Go style catching thing could be really fun! But, as this is Nintendo, they probably will make it so you have the swing the joy cons or something.

Maybe an unpopular opinion here but I only care about new games for the new pokemons, not very excited about yelllow remake, to do a remake diamond and pearl was the right option

Omg! People stop complaining and be thankful for the things you get! Not one main series Pokemon game was awful. So this will be good too. Maybe not what we will expect, but be glad they still make these kinds of Pokemon games!

Omg! People stop complaining and be thankful for the things you get! Not one main series Pokemon game was awful. So this will be good too. Maybe not what we will expect, but be glad they still make these kinds of Pokemon games!
Well considering they're all basically the same game anyway... kinda moot point :p

I enjoy hearing news of upcoming Pokemon games, but it sucks when I don't have a Nintendo Switch and now I have to save up money before I can play this game. I am sure we will get remakes down the road for the Switch since they said USUM were gonna be the last Pokemon games on the 3DS. Here's to all the Pokemon games to come.

*cheers*

be glad they still make these kinds of Pokemon games!

Yes, the multiple billions of dollars they get isn't gratitude enough, they're just making new pokemon games out of the kindness of their big hearts.

Mainline pokemon games are going to make tons of money no matter what they do, that doesn't mean that people should just shut up and be happy about it.

I don't know what to think about that. The name, Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu, sounds not too good but more like a game for 10 year old Pikachu fans. I have a few ideas how Pokémon GO could be integrated in Pokémon Switch, but that's not the Pokémon Switch I expected. Please don't disappoint me Pokémon and let this rumors not be true.

The only way I'm going to be happy about this isn't a new Eeveelution comes out of this. Either way, I don't think I'll buy this one.

I don't really care what it's called, if it's relatively the same formula with new Pokemon, I'll be happy. That being said the titles sound ridiculous to me and I've never considered Eevee as any kind of mascot material. Maybe new Eeveelutions? Please don't suck, if this is real. :/

This seems its going to be a Pokemon Yellow remake with major artistic freedom. How you can actually fly around on a Pidgeot! Really looking forward to this!

This seems its going to be a Pokemon Yellow remake with major artistic freedom. How you can actually fly around on a Pidgeot! Really looking forward to this!
We need Pokemon Stars first. Even if it's set in Kanto, I would really like a Pokemon Stars.

OH FFS If this is some kind of half baked cash in like a modern version of hey you pikachu I'll.... I'll.... I'll....

Still buy it and hope I can talk to it like Alexa :rolleyes:

Seriously thou please pokemon... Don't be sh!t

We need Pokemon Stars first. Even if it's set in Kanto, I would really like a Pokemon Stars.
I would even love it to just be an HD version of sun moon available 'digital only and right after this presentation' will keep us hardcore fans happy and the kids and blow ins can shake their joy con's and throw virtual pokeball all they want with this muck...

Back