Discussion How do People do Well With Buzzwole?

yeah well i never have a list i'm happy with. And playing the game these days is impossible. have fun losing to Buzzwole decks all day now with all the fudging support it has. Welcome to YUGIOH

And fact of the matter is, none of the top decks in the meta draw too well for me no matter how optimal the list.

Time for a break, Seastrome. That isn't me being snarky, that is me sharing what has worked for me in the past. It doesn't have to be a total break, but when playing stops being fun, you need to stop playing. Unless this game literally is your job.

Oh, and Pokémon became Yu-Gi-Oh at least as far back as the introduction of the Ace Spec. Basically, where the powers-that-be take Yu-Gi-Oh with the pedal the medal, the equivalent powers-that-be behind Pokémon get it to 55 then turn on the cruise control.

I might be a bit elitist here, so pardon me ahead of time...

But this deck is incredibly powerful... and easy to play at the same time. There are small things though that can improve your play with this deck. IE not immediately using max elixirs. Passing/ending your turn while having an elixir in hand is oftentimes the better route if you don't have an obtainable goal that turn. Passing the turn allows you to thin one more card out of deck at a minimum by drawing for the turn and possibly thinning out an additional card or 2 via an ultra ball/brooklett hill. You always want to maximize your odds. This is a deck with a very low skill floor imo due to its sheer power and a player without these little optimizing thoughts can still beat a "better" player as a result. Occasionally the deck will clunk because of the amount of energy it runs. In many ways this deck is essentially a modern day turbo dark, which just annoys me as I feel like it reduces the skill level needed overall.

If you go 0-5-1 with the deck, you either hit terrible matchups (AND terrible luck - this deck should still be able to overcome terrible mus at a decent rate) or you may not be as sufficient with the deck yet as you may think you are

I'm currently 4-7 with an exact copy of Azuls list. And I want to try to play this deck more but this is a pure netdeck and i'm 4-7 with it which discourages me even further. My friend took it to a regionals and went 0-5-1 with it. My friend went 4-4-1 with Bulu in EXPANDED at his first regionals so he's not that bad. I just question the deck really.

I always whiff Elixirs and I find it difficult to decide whether to GX with Buzzwole or Lycanroc. Makes it seem like the Lycanroc is a waste of an attacker then if you use Buzzwole for that most of the time. And then there are times where I have an awkward bench and can't Elixir to something useful but have to Sycamore it away.

i would like a list of all the optimal plays with possible opening hands.

for example: i drew a hand just now of Regirock, 3 Elixirs, Brooklett, Rockruff, and 2 choice bands. How do I play with that?
Rockruff active, regi benched, play brooklet, booklet for Buzzwole, play the three elk Dees to Buzz, the n choice band the buzz.

Having just switched from a Lucario deck, buzzwole with forbidden light support is just broken strong. Max elixir, beast energy, beast ring, diancie prism, GG.

At first I sucked too with Azul's list.

But then I started thinking about my mistakes.

You should abuse lycanroc with its abillity and its GX attack.
You should use Sudowoodo a lot too. And mew when you can do a lot of damage to a pokemon due to weakness.

Sometimes Buzzwole its just your support and it scares your opponent so they will focuse on it while you play around with your other pokemon.

Sometimes Buzzwole its just your support and it scares your opponent so they will focuse on it while you play around with your other pokemon.

Ah, so a bait, decoy, or pressure card? Dunno if those terms are used in Pokémon, but the first two are self-explanatory. The latter is from Yu-Gi-Oh; a card that could win you the game if your opponent were to actually ignore it, but which no one in their right mind ever ignores. I'm not sure if the term is even used over there anymore, but in the earlier days of that game, there was stuff like Wave-Motion Cannon.

For those that are curious about what Wave-Motion Cannon is and/or how it could act as a pressure card

Wave Motion-Cannon
Continuous Spell
Text: During your Main Phase, you can send this card to the Graveyard to inflict 1000 points of damage to your opponent for each of your Standby Phases that have passed since this card was activated.

Spell cards are a lot like Trainer cards; there are "Normal Spells" that work like Item cards, "Field Spells" that work like Stadium cards, "Equip Spells" that work like Pokémon Tools, etc. There are a few that don't have a Pokémon TCG equivalent; Continuous Spells are one of them, and are a bit like a cross between an Item and a Stadium. They stick around after you play them, until a card effect (sometimes their own) discards them. They aren't "attached" to any other card in play, though, unless that particular Continuous Spell states it works that way. There is another mechanic called "Traps" we won't be discussing, as I don't wish to make this even longer or more confusing for those who don't know Yu-Gi-Oh... but for those who do know, I need to state this so that it isn't confusing for them. XD

Yu-Gi-Oh turns start with the Draw Phase, basically like Pokémon, but before you continue to the Main Phase where you can play most cards from your hand (not unlike Pokémon), there's the Standby Phase where various effects resolve. Victory comes when your reduce your opponent's Life Points to zero. Players each start with 8000 Life Points. Put it all together, and you can see how an ignored Wave-Motion Cannon wins you the game in nine turns; play it and 8 turns later you can use its effect to do 8000 damage. While I played Yu-Gi-Oh (basically from its North American launch until 2009), Wave-Motion Cannon was rarely (if ever) competitive. It flirted with it at times, as a pressure card. Rarely would your opponent fail to destroy Wave-Motion Cannon, even though that required the effect of another card to accomplish, Spell removal effects were common. Including cards that could wipe out multiple Spell/Traps at once. Still, sometimes a card like this was useful to distract from your real goals, so you'd drop it early game (if it showed up...) and your opponent had to deal with it or lose. Hence the name "pressure".

Ah, so a bait, decoy, or pressure card? Dunno if those terms are used in Pokémon, but the first two are self-explanatory. The latter is from Yu-Gi-Oh; a card that could win you the game if your opponent were to actually ignore it, but which no one in their right mind ever ignores. I'm not sure if the term is even used over there anymore, but in the earlier days of that game, there was stuff like Wave-Motion Cannon.

For those that are curious about what Wave-Motion Cannon is and/or how it could act as a pressure card

Spell cards are a lot like Trainer cards; there are "Normal Spells" that work like Item cards, "Field Spells" that work like Stadium cards, "Equip Spells" that work like Pokémon Tools, etc. There are a few that don't have a Pokémon TCG equivalent; Continuous Spells are one of them, and are a bit like a cross between an Item and a Stadium. They stick around after you play them, until a card effect (sometimes their own) discards them. They aren't "attached" to any other card in play, though, unless that particular Continuous Spell states it works that way. There is another mechanic called "Traps" we won't be discussing, as I don't wish to make this even longer or more confusing for those who don't know Yu-Gi-Oh... but for those who do know, I need to state this so that it isn't confusing for them. XD

Yu-Gi-Oh turns start with the Draw Phase, basically like Pokémon, but before you continue to the Main Phase where you can play most cards from your hand (not unlike Pokémon), there's the Standby Phase where various effects resolve. Victory comes when your reduce your opponent's Life Points to zero. Players each start with 8000 Life Points. Put it all together, and you can see how an ignored Wave-Motion Cannon wins you the game in nine turns; play it and 8 turns later you can use its effect to do 8000 damage. While I played Yu-Gi-Oh (basically from its North American launch until 2009), Wave-Motion Cannon was rarely (if ever) competitive. It flirted with it at times, as a pressure card. Rarely would your opponent fail to destroy Wave-Motion Cannon, even though that required the effect of another card to accomplish, Spell removal effects were common. Including cards that could wipe out multiple Spell/Traps at once. Still, sometimes a card like this was useful to distract from your real goals, so you'd drop it early game (if it showed up...) and your opponent had to deal with it or lose. Hence the name "pressure".

That's right. Your main goal is to get 1 or 2 buzzwole going but beign honest that's quite difficult. I usually win my games with a buzzwole, lycanroc gx and sudowoodo

I have moved more towards a straight Buzzwole list that plays Zygarde EX, and have won 9 straight games with it.

I'd advise you watch Team Omnipoke and/or Mahone's Tricky Gym on YouTube - they've put out several videos just this week alone playing BuzzRoc and both channels really go over how the deck engine works, as well as the interactions/scenarios with other popular archetypes. As someone who's never picked up the deck myself, I feel like through watching their videos I've at least gained a fair amount of knowledge on how the deck should be played and how to a) play against Buzzroc when I find myself going up against it, and b) hit the ground running if somebody handed me the deck and told me to play a game with it.

Back