News Japan's SM6b, 'Champion Road'!

Watchmaker

Ally to good! Nightmare to you!
Do I think these cards will see much play outside of locals? Not at all.
Will I try my hardest to make them work? Absolutely! I'm always a fan of fun "gimmick" decks.

KazamEsper

Aspiring Trainer
Aw, man i didn't have the Pokenav i though i did. Mine was printed in Ex Crystal Guardians. Wasn't Ex Ruby and Sapphire printed after Crystal Guardians? it said it was a reprint of the Pokenav from Ex Ruby and Sapphire. But i have the one from Crystal Guardians? Now, are the trainers "exact" reprints? Because i was hoping that I could use Copycat again.

Otaku

The wise fool?
(And no, you can’t look for Maxie’s Hidden “Ball” Trick or “Ball”oon Berry — it’s only for Poke Ball cards. TPCi issued a ruling about this back in 2003.)

Actual ruling:

== APRICORN MAKER (Skyridge)

Q. Can Apricorn Maker be used to search for the Trainer "Balloon Berry"? Taking the card literally, *BALL*oon Berry contains the exact same "Ball" as given on Apricorn Maker.
A. Of course not, don't be silly! You can only search for cards like Poké Ball, Fast Ball, Master Ball, etc. Nice try, slick... (Nov 13, 2003 PUI Rules Team)

I assume the same holds true for Balloon Berry, but there is a big difference between chopping a word in half and the word actually being present in the card name (but not at the very end). I think it is best if we look at the Japanese name of Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick. According to bulbapedia, that would be マツブサの隠し玉 or "Matsubusa's Secret Weapon". Which would be the end of it but I wanted to do due diligence so I popped it into Google Translate and it came out as "Mattressa's hidden ball".

Which means we at least need someone who reads Japanese, or has the patience to look at both cards and see if characters that correspond to the English "Ball" are the same or not. If not, then we know that Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick won't be a legal target. If they do match up, then we need to wait for a ruling... assuming Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick doesn't get banned. ;)

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
Actual ruling:

I assume the same holds true for Balloon Berry, but there is a big difference between chopping a word in half and the word actually being present in the card name (but not at the very end). I think it is best if we look at the Japanese name of Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick. According to bulbapedia, that would be マツブサの隠し玉 or "Matsubusa's Secret Weapon". Which would be the end of it but I wanted to do due diligence so I popped it into Google Translate and it came out as "Mattressa's hidden ball".

Which means we at least need someone who reads Japanese, or has the patience to look at both cards and see if characters that correspond to the English "Ball" are the same or not. If not, then we know that Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick won't be a legal target. If they do match up, then we need to wait for a ruling... assuming Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick doesn't get banned. ;)
Really they just need to issue a special rule that says it does not work otherwise it does work as is. Or they could just change it to item in the translation that's the easiest way

Nick Tornell

Haha, art go brrrr
I kinda want to build a Mr. Mime deck but I don't like so little HP on a GX.
Im also mad that we dont have a Sceptile line yet but i guess nobody cares but me and TSM

Last edited:

Otaku

The wise fool?
Mr. Rhyperior what is your rating scale again? I mean, I have no idea what the numbers really mean, save that I assume more Geodudes is better. What I don't know is the maximum number of Geodudes you award, the minimum, and what each specific amount means. ^^' Anyway, my comments will sound more harsh than they actually are because I'm rushing. 'Cept the last one; not trying to yell at you, but you suggested bringing back a card I despire. XP If I don't comment, we probably agreed (though maybe not 100%).

Anyway, a few where I had further questions or comments:

Totodile/Croconaw/Feraligatr - I don't think Feraligatr will be good on its own hence the lack of supports in it, mostly on discarding stuff. 3 Geodudes

Not sure what you mean. I'm worried about getting enough [W] Energy in the discard over and over again to score key OHKO's and 2HKO's, but the Ability lets you discard [W] Energy from hand. So you just need to focus on getting Water Energy cards to your hand from your deck over and over again. If that is what you meant, it isn't really "discards" that's the issue, but effective Energy search.

Lotad/Lombre/Ludicolo - Ludicolo is a Stage 2 ver. Of Sandslash, 70+10 is not enough on how good Ludicolo that suppose to be. 2-3 Geodudes

I want to agree, but IIRC I thought the same of the Ludicolo that inspired it, and coupled with Magcargo, come-from-behind cards (due to the slow start), and anti-Pokémon-ex effects, it became a competitive deck, at least for a time. So... yeah, wish it did at least 20 more damage, but maybe it'll be able to afford Professor Kukui most turns? The goal will be three Ludicolo Swing Dancing and three Magcargo Smoothing Over. Smooth Dance! Or was it "Swing Over"? ;)

Voltorb/Electrode-GX - Yes. You can do the ability on a evolving non-GX but non-GX pre-evos are so frikin frail. Gonna get fast to get the advantage. And also, giving up 2 prizes is a pain so better run 1-1 of it so that the opponent won't get the auto-win. 2-3 Geodudes

Unless you use something like Wally so that it can hit the field ASAP, you should be able to not only Evolve Voltorb into Electrode-GX... but whatever Evolving Basic goes with your Pokémon-GX into the desired Pokémon-GX. Stage 2 Pokémon will need Rare Candy, though. I still think a deck would run 2-2, in case of being Prized or in case they can spare another two Prizes; it is unlikely, but far from impossible.

Mr. Mime-GX - Yeah. Choice Band destroys this ability. 3-4 Geodudes

A lot destroys these Abilities. Alolan Muk is sticking around, so Abilities on Basics are still vulnerable after rotation. Guzma is sticking around, so you can't have anything vulnerable on your Bench. Raw power can punch through. Just having one attacker that hits even amounts and another that hits odd amounts means you're pretty safe (barring Mr. Mime-GX backed by a control/disruption deck). Now factor in Choice Band. ;) I was around for these card's predecessors, and while they could be annoying, it was when you were using specific decks.

Lunatone/Solrock - not the one that saw play. The one who do damage depending on Solrock/Lunatone in play. Anyways, these prevents Volcanion from happening but it took 2 spaces to get this going. 3 Geodudes

Clarification: these are updates to the ones featured as singles in the classic Suns & Moons deck from back in the day. They really need the other versions, and the other versions kind of need these. ;)

Onix/Steelix - This Steelix saw play before, right? Today, its sucks, despite of having bulkier HP. 190 on a Stage 1 non-GX? Wow! I am gonna tell Wailord for this. 2 Geodudes

To be fair, it saw a little success WotC days. The short version is we didn't know what we were doing, just like we wouldn't know if it wasn't for better communication infrastructure on top of nearly 20 years of experience for the player base. ;) Oh, and the original version of Special Energy, and I think the deck also used Slowking (Neo Genesis). Slowking made almost anything fake competitive. XD

Sneasel - Before, Sneasel got banned because of how Broken it is. Now, its just a plain updated card of the Undaunted one. 2 Geodudes

I am starting to think even the Neo Genesis Sneasel was framed, turned into a scapegoat for the brokeness of other cards. :p I can't double check, but didn't they slap a Retreat Cost of [C} on this one? That may hurt more than the Weakness!

Larvitar/Pupitar/Tyranitar - too expensive and too risky. 2-3 Geodudes

Probably, but it looks really fun. If we get something that protects the Bench again and is just a Basic, then it still is too expensive and risky, but might barely fake being competitive...

Okay, almost certainly not, but I really liked its predecessor in Team Battles...

Sableye - so many uses but not friendly on Bench space. 3 Geodudes

Is any Pokémon friendly on Bench-space? ;) If you're thinking you need multiples, that should only be certain decks. Most decks will wish they could spare room for one of these on the Bench, and at least a few will manage it. I mean, for general support.

Slakoth/Vigoroth/Slaking - Good ability but on a Stage 2. I wish we still have the "Turn 1 Rare Candy rule" to become good again. 3 Geodudes

This is why we don't have the old Rare Candy effect anymore. XP

Energy Recycle System - Just play energy retrieval. Its an Energy Search and Super Rod in one card. But you need to choose of course. 2 Geodudes

Never hurts to have extra options, and needing a specific basic Energy back is less common than needing a specific Pokémon, but not unheard of even for past competitive decks.

Rare Candy - looks a standard in every format just to make Stage 2s better.

Pretty sure Stage 2 Pokémon need to be "pre-nerfed" when there's a universal shortcut. I'd rather they made Evolving Basics and Stage 1's better while slowing down Basics so there was time to Evolve. Yeah, unrealistic. ;)

Cards that it should be reprinted:
VS Seeker
Scramble Energy

No. VS Seeker might be safe eventually, but if it is a format where it is an automatic three or four-of for most decks, it is a format where VS Seeker shouldn't be legal. Scramble Energy is flat out a "Never again!" in my book. Nothing like working hard to take the lead just to lose it because of one card lazily tossed onto their Evolutions. There's "Come from behind", and there's "F--- you for even tryin'!" cards, and this is one of the latter. XP[/quote]

Really they just need to issue a special rule that says it does not work otherwise it does work as is. Or they could just change it to item in the translation that's the easiest way
In English, it is just a matter of phrasing, like "A Trainer with a name that contains the word 'Ball'..." so that just having the letters "B", "A", "L", and "L" next to each other won't count. Honestly, using a Supporter to fetch another Supporter isn't that effective, so I believe it should snag Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick unless the name doesn't work in the original Japanese.

Last edited:

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Actual ruling:

Letter of the law vs. spirit of the law.

The spirit of the law is that the Trainer is an Apricorn Maker, as in, someone who makes Poke Balls. So the card is only meant to look for Poke Ball cards, as even the ruling states.

This isn't even a discussion. :p

Senorsmith

Aspiring Trainer
In English, it is just a matter of phrasing, like "A Trainer with a name that contains the word 'Ball'..." so that just having the letters "B", "A", "L", and "L" next to each other won't count. Honestly, using a Supporter to fetch another Supporter isn't that effective, so I believe it should snag Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick unless the name doesn't work in the original Japanese.

Apricorn Maker cannot search out Maxie in the Japanese version, as the card specifies Ball in katakana characters(bo-ru), which all types of pokeballs use. Maxies card, while it does say hidden ball trick, it uses the kanji for ball, which is read as tama. Therefore it cannot be retreived.

Hope this clears it up!

Donphan/Slaking could be a cheeky little deck. Problem is that Float Stone is rotating so yeah.

Run it with Lance, a SalamenceGX and Flygon!

Last edited by a moderator:

HA559

Aspiring Trainer
That Ho-oh is really under powered compared to the other reprinted pokemon in this set. It should've been atleast 60+ damage.

BENDsli

Aspiring Trainer
Aside from the massive retreat cost, Steelix looks decent, could run Magearna to swap tools around and stuff, could be a fun little deck to play

Senorsmith

Aspiring Trainer
Dawn Wings Necrozma and Altar of the Moone takes much, much less deck space.

I wasnt aware that 2 was a much, much smaller amount than 3. Would you be running rainbow energy, or psychic energy to use Altar of the Moones effect? I feel it would be anlittle silly for rainbow, and psychic can be used for slaking i guess, but so does the fighting energy. Seems like it would end up being more cards?

Edit: My mistake, I forgot flygon only protects dragons, so you wouldnt even need that. There for 2 cards I guess, unless there is another dragon youd want to call out with Lance

Last edited: