• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Quad Hoopa Deck

Knight_of_Ni

Aspiring Trainer
I remember from a few years ago I remember that quad sigilyph (immune to EX attacks) was a deck that received a decent amount of play. Now that hex maniac is rotated, and decks like Gardevoir GX and Zoroark GX/Lycanroc GX control the format I feel like hoopa may have some potential. I created a list, and I am open to ideas. The deck may have problems with stuff like baby zoroark, baby volcanion, gallade, and greninja, but I feel like a high hammer count could help with those. Thank you in advance.

Pokémon:
4 Hoopa(55/73)
1 Yveltal-EX
1 Tapu Lele-GX

Trainers:
1 Plumeria
1 Acerola
3 Professor Sycamore
4 Guzma
4 N
4 Max Elixir
4 Puzzle of Time
4 Crushing Hammer
4 Enhanced Hammer
4 Ultra Ball
2 Field Blower
1 Super Rod
1 Rescue Stretcher
2 Choice Band
4 Fighting Fury Belt

Energy:
8 Dark
4 Double Colorless

DashKing

Aspiring Trainer
The problem with this deck is that it hard loses to Zoro/Roc (because of rockruff PROMO) and Buzz/Roc.
Play some Xurkitree GX and Wishiwashi. Look at Yoshi's Deck from Memphis.
If you want to stick with this deck, cut the yveltal EX and the Tapu Lele GX for 1 Xurkitree GX and 1 Wishiwashi GX

Knight_of_Ni

Aspiring Trainer
In order for the rockruff promo to OHKO a hoopa, they would have to attach 2 strong energy. So it's just a matter of me hitting the hammers and KOing the rockruff before it can KO me. Also, not everyone plays the promo rockruff and some choose to use the 'corner' one.
Thank you for the feedback

DashKing

Aspiring Trainer
But even two shot chipping and forcing you to have acerola or max potion every turn while chipping at you. You can't expect to have hammer, and healing every turn without something like tropical beach (in expanded). (Or 2 shot chip everything)

thom ye

Aspiring Trainer
its going to be tough to make your deck able to counter all the decks out there.
looks like anyone with Garbodor can either counter your ability and/or just use trash and attack with one energy on their turn.
many decks have a non GX/EX attacker to counter the ability.
give it a try. I've always found that you could never dump energy as fast as speed decks can attach energy.
especially in the long game after you've expended many of your hammers.
you might catch a player or two, but over the longer tournaments... its going to be tougher.

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
Gardevoir GX and Zoroark GX/Lycanroc GX are literally the worse decks for Quad Hoopa. Gardevoir has Gallade, and ZoroRoc has Baby Zoroark and Rockruff (the GRI one only needs a single Strong Energy and a Regirock on bench to OHKO you)

Knight_of_Ni

Aspiring Trainer
I took a variation of the list above to a small league cup and got top 8 with it. I usually slaughter zoroark gx/lycanroc gx decks, and baby zoroark is rarely a threat because I almost never have a full bench. I lucky dodged gardevoir gx (with gallade), and was eventually taken down by a greninja deck. The promo Rockruff it a threat, but I can usually OHKO them before they can KO (or sometime OHKO) me. Even if they do manage to knock out a hoopa, I usually have 1-2 ready to go on my bench. The only major problem with this deck was the speed. It is VERY slow to get big knockouts. I will continue to test it, but I think it has hope.

p.s. I believe that I went 3/1/1 in the swiss rounds. People were definitely surprised/interested in my list.

Knight_of_Ni

Aspiring Trainer
So far I have made top 8 twice with this deck in two league cups. Zoroark GX variations (golisopod gx, lycanroc gx, ect.) and Buzzwole GX/Lycanroc GX are almost always auto wins, volcanion and tapu bulu/vikavolt are about 50/50 depending on techs, and greninja break and garbodor variations are my auto losses.
Here is my updated list:

Pokemon:
4 hoopa
1 mr.mime
1 tapu lele gx

Trainers:
2 professor sycamore
2 professor kukui
4 N
4 guzma
2 acerola
1 brigette
4 ultra ball
4 enhanced hammer
3 field blower
4 max elixir
1 multi switch
2 choice bands
3 fighting fury belts
1 rescue stretcher
1 super rod
2 po town

Energy:
10 dark
4 double colorless

---------------------------

I am considering what I should take out and put in to help my volcanion, vikavolt/bulu, greninja, and garb matchups.
The po town helps not only as a counter stadium, but also with the countless evolution based decks in the current format.
a few ideas I've considered are:
- burst balloon (increase damage output and help with greninja/garb)
- giratina (promo solely for the greninja matchup)
- skyla (usually for a max elixir or FFB)
- more dark energy (being able to hit an energy every turn is crucial, and also for the max elixirs)
- more FFB and choice band
- dropping the brigette and trying to find space for nest ball (brigette is awkward with limited basics, and I feel is a waste of a supporter + tells my opponent the amount of hoopas in my deck)
- 2nd tapu lele gx (draw support)

Thinking for the next format, Glaceon GX and Leafeon GX seem like favorable matchups. Silvally GX/metal will be interesting, but probably similar to vikavolt/bulu. Gardevoir GX will be virtually nonexistent with all the metal support, so I'm not worries about gallade.

I'm looking for ideas for how I can improve my list. Please don't reply telling me I will be slaughtered by baby zoroark, promo rockruff, ect. I tend to OHKO them before they can OHKO me, and even if they manage to pull it off, I usually have another hoopa ready. My real problem is greninja break and garbodor. Also any ideas to increase my damage output would be appreciated.
Thank you!

legolover322

Aspiring Trainer
I'm certain this has been said before, but this deck needs some insurance against Greninja, Zoroark BKT (it's kind of a thing), and any other non-GX decks. With a three energy cost for its attack and 120 health, Hoopa is by no means an extraordinary attacker. Seeing as the deck is supposed to play very defensively, using disruption as a key asset, why not cut the Max Elixir (and perhaps some Dark Energy) for really tricky cards like Delinquent, Counter Catcher, or Po Town? I do like that your entire deck is based around such a meta-countering card. Yes, all will have resources to deal with a Hoopa or two- but can they deal with six? I suspect not!

Overall, your decklist is pretty solid! I'd say you should max out disruption and play more defensively. But you definetly need to figure out a way around non-GX decks, or they'll stare you straight in the eyes and say this:
"Skidaddle! Skidoodle! Your deck is now a noodle!"
(destruction ensues as the Hoopas' bodies mount atop each other)

Knight_of_Ni

Aspiring Trainer
I'm certain this has been said before, but this deck needs some insurance against Greninja, Zoroark BKT (it's kind of a thing), and any other non-GX decks. With a three energy cost for its attack and 120 health, Hoopa is by no means an extraordinary attacker. Seeing as the deck is supposed to play very defensively, using disruption as a key asset, why not cut the Max Elixir (and perhaps some Dark Energy) for really tricky cards like Delinquent, Counter Catcher, or Po Town? I do like that your entire deck is based around such a meta-countering card. Yes, all will have resources to deal with a Hoopa or two- but can they deal with six? I suspect not!

Overall, your decklist is pretty solid! I'd say you should max out disruption and play more defensively. But you definetly need to figure out a way around non-GX decks, or they'll stare you straight in the eyes and say this:
"Skidaddle! Skidoodle! Your deck is now a noodle!"
(destruction ensues as the Hoopas' bodies mount atop each other)
Thank you for the reply. First of all I would like to say that the times I have encountered Zoroark BKT, I have been able to handle it efficiently. They only have 100 HP, so if I hit the Kukui, I can get the OHKO. Additionally, I usually see them early in the game when I usually only have 1-2 benched pokemon, so they rarely get a OHKO. My deck seems to perform at it's peek during the first few turns of the game, and I usually am able to take a few cheap knockouts on things like ockruffs, grubbins, and zoruas. I have considered counter catcher, but these early knockouts usually render it useless. After both my opponent and I are setup, I slowly chip away at their deck, waiting for them to run out of acerolas and max potions, while enhanced hammering away their special energy. More often then not, my opponents tend to play impulsively, in attempt to KO my Tapu Lele GX or a Hoopa. I laugh a hardy laugh as they draw one prize card from a Hoopa that gave me three prize cards. I do like the idea for playing Delinquent and increasing my disruption, but I'm not sure if I should fully focus my deck on it. A Hoopa hitting 110 per turn with a choice band can 2 hit KO a lot of stuff. I think adding more disruption might slow the game down to the point where my opponent and I tie. I'm not sure if the Giratina (promo) alone would be enough to stop greninja from slaughtering me, but both times I made top cut I faced Greninja during round one (it was sad). As for baby volcanions and vikavolts, I just have to hit them before they hit me. There is a reason I play four Guzma. If anything, I would like to play a fourth FFB, give Giratina a try, and maybe even increase my Kukui count to be able to hit for 100-130 damage. Another idea I had was to play one or two rainbow energy for Tapu Lele GX to use Tapu Cure if needed or to Acerola it back to my hand if it is damaged. Any thoughts on burst balloon?
Thank you for the advice.

P.S. If anyone wants to try this deck, I recommend practicing in real life and not online. People online test weird, rouge decks that easily beat up Hoopa and I don't feel like you can feel the true potential of this deck.

cccfire

Aspiring Trainer
try evo mew.
Useless for like half your matchups but basically a god against garde, alo dug, and frog

biffthepotato

It's Wednesday M'dudes
But it does hit for weakness against Gallade unlike Lele witch is your biggest threat in the mach up, so it could be something to consider. (if they have 2 energy on then your doing 120, 160 with Kukui for the 1HKO)

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
But it does hit for weakness against Gallade unlike Lele witch is your biggest threat in the mach up, so it could be something to consider. (if they have 2 energy on then your doing 120, 160 with Kukui for the 1HKO)
Who are you responding to it helps if you quote the person then respond. If it's me. your talking about the wrong pokemon I was saying mew evo is useless mewtwo evo is great and is in every high placing hoopa list so that of course should he in the deck

cccfire

Aspiring Trainer
It's still a situational donk against frogs, garchomp/luca, and anyone who fills up their bench with evos. IMO slightly less situational than Xurkitree in standard because nobody in their right mind actually only plays special energy these days and evo mew only gives up 1 prize

AFEX

Serena is too cute!
The problem with this deck is that it hard loses to Zoro/Roc (because of rockruff PROMO) and Buzz/Roc.
Play some Xurkitree GX and Wishiwashi. Look at Yoshi's Deck from Memphis.
If you want to stick with this deck, cut the yveltal EX and the Tapu Lele GX for 1 Xurkitree GX and 1 Wishiwashi GX

Dude, this isnt a stall deck, this is attacking quad Hoopa, maybe look into the list before you jump to give your advice.

Wishiwashi is unesecary.

Knight_of_Ni

Aspiring Trainer
My current list that I have built plays bursting balloon. The bursting balloon and escape rope are great cards in many cases, because your opponent will try to setup the one or two pokemon in their decks that can actually hit the hoopa (usually an oranguru or something) and the escape rope/bursting balloon make getting an attack off on the hoopa very awkward. I often see my opponents have to recklessly burn through their decks in search of a field blower, and when they can't find one, they usually just pass their turn. Even gallade has to think twice before hitting a hoopa. I will post my updated list in a couple days if anybody is interested.

Thank you to everybody for the feedback and ideas.