General Where Does Your Username Come From?

VioletValkyrie

You're out of your mind.
Everyone has different usernames, and no one's is the same. Maybe you've had more than one or stuck with one throughout your entire life online. Why did you choose the username you have, and where does it come from? What does it mean, or how did you think of it? Is this your first ever username or have you used other names before? If people have trouble with your username, what short form or nickname do you want to be referred to as instead? Even for some people, how do you pronounce your username?

I'll start discussion. VioletValkyrie isn't my first username, but it's my favourite one I've had.
➤ While you could argue the colour is purple, violet sounds much prettier and fits better in the username. The colour of violet balances out the calm, peaceful nature of the colour blue with the fiery strength of the colour red. Violet is often associated with royalty, pride, power, and ambition, and lighter shades such as lavender can be associated with femininity, grace, or elegance. And just as a funny side note, "purple speech" is used to describe profanity or bad language. I find it easy to link someone's personality and emotions to colours, and have thought if I used any colour to represent myself, it would be Violet.
➤ A Valkyrie, in Norse mythology, is a female figure who chooses who lives and dies on the battlefield, and are sometimes described as the daughters of royalty. Outside of the Norse mythology reasons, one reason comes from the fact that I'm a very avid fan of the Castlevania games released between 2001 to 2008. In one of the games, Aria of Sorrow, there's one enemy named Valkyrie who stood out to me for the reason that touching its body and its sword gave you two different amounts of damage. The attack you obtain from defeating it is also my favourite in the game, for the reason that it's incredibly strong, and both the spritework for the attack and the enemy are my favourite in the game.
ZW0hRSZ.png

Credit goes to Croix on spriters-resource.com for ripping the Valkyrie Soul Form, and to an unknown ripper on castlevaniacrypt.com for the rips of the Valkyrie enemy. Thank you!

VioletValkyrie flows well as a username. It's not basic or short, and both halves start with the same capitalized letter making it sound nice. It's complex and elegant, not using basic simple words when it could, and it's a creative way to express the way I identify and certain themes, visuals, or aesthetics that I appreciate.

As for short forms, I typically take Violet, or Vi, though some people have used Vio, Viol, or Valk.
My username is pronounced exactly like you would think, the two words "Violet" and "Valkyrie" joined together.

If this thread already exists I was just unable to find it, link it here and I'll add onto that and abandon this thread.
I also didn't expect the thumbnail image to default to the spritework, I meant to put another one in but simply forgot. Whoops.

Lord o da rings was a name I came up with way back in 2015. I'm pretty sure it was because 2015 was the year Hoopa was a big deal, and since that was the year I joined the site, it flowed into my username as well because it was a mix of a description of what Hoopa is, as well as it being a play on Lord of the Rings. That being said, I hate this username and would do anything to change it. I mean look at it, it's pretty cringeworthy.

People usually just call me Lorde. It's a nickname I've gone by for most of my time (basically all of my active time) on the site. Lord is fine too.

So I've used Jade as a username for many sites in the past, the main being Google+ (ew, I know). I love the show Steven Universe, and Jade was an OC (original character) that I came up with from this show, and I feel a personal connection with this character and his personality. When I joined the site, I believe just plain "Jade" was already taken, so I cam up with Jadethepokemontrainer. I now hate this name, it's extremely long and just not that great of a username. Oh well, I suppose it's better than "someweirdpokemo."

So yeah, just go ahead and call me Jade. I would also settle with Aliya-Dancey.

The oldest username thread that I could find dates back to 2010, so this new thread would be fine. ;)

I tend to get asked what the "bb" in my username stands for semi-regularly, and am often met with selection of wild guesses (and they're never close!), much to my amusement. Don't get your hopes up though, 'cause I'm still keeping the true origins of those letters secret. Anyway, "bbninjas" dates back to 2009, and is one of those rare occurrences where 9-year-old me actually had a bright idea! I used the name "Bbninja" for an alternate Club Penguin account back in the day (geez, now I'm starting to feel old), spontaneously inspired by a few of the new minigames that were being added to the world at that time. The name became fully lowercase when I joined a different online game (I must have realised that the single cap looked ugly). The addition of the "s" followed sometime after that, and I think that was because "bbninja" was taken on some random site I intended to join. It's stuck ever since, primarily because the name is both memorable and seldom ever already taken on other sites. I hadn't even decided to imagine up a new name until recently, which I use for some of my alts now.

Last edited:
There really isn't much of an origin to my name. I used to go by a previous one which was based off of something that already existed. I wanted something original, and when I was typing out random names, Vracken kinda stuck so here I am. Most people now call me Vrack, or worse, vrack. I prefer Vracken, but you kinda get used to the shortened name, so eh.

I'm just a stupid nerd:

[14:49:50] Itori (androirc@-snip-) left IRC (Connection reset by peer)

Oh, you may also call me Bellisarius Phyrros ho Klutos.

GrandPanacea is not my first username. My first username was Tobi2x4 (still my username many other places), and that came from the character Tobi from Naruto, and I have no idea where the 2x4 came from.

GrandPanacea also has origins in anime. I first heard the term Grand Panacea from the anime Baccano! back in 2011. The term panacea is one of hundreds used by various cultures with alchemical practices. It's one of the main goals of alchemy; the elixir of life! Coincidentally, one of the other names was water of life, or aqua vitae, which became "uisce beatha" in old Irish, which is where the term whiskey comes from. History lesson! Boom! Knowledge!

Anyways, in Baccano!, the grand panacea is an incredibly important plot item, and it sets all of the events in motion. I chose it because it sounded cool. I use it a few different places.

People usually shorten it to GP, or occasionally Grandpa, if they don't already call me something else. (People who knew me back when Tobi2x4 was my go-to tend to call me Tobi).

Attix is my real last name.

I'm not terribly creative.

I'm not terribly creative.

Same, my user name just comes from a Company my employer buys product from and I thought it just sounded like a cool user. Plus I couldn't think of any thing at the time.

When I was 7 I used to be obsessed with karate. At first I used GekkisaiDaiIchi (Another karate kata) as a Minecraft username when I was around 9, then later on when I got into Pokemon and started to drift away from Minecraft I changed it to GekkisaiDaiNi to signify the change (Ni means two, Ichi means one. By the way, Gekkisai roughly translated means smash & destroy, and dai means number). Everyone I know online has always either called me Gekki or Gekk though, and I'm cool with that.

When I was a normie 8-year old, I decided to ask my mom if she could buy me a game.
What game was that? None other than Minecraft.
So, uh, you need a username, huh?
Thinks of favorite meme
Perfect!

"NyanCatXD"

I felt like I had accomplished something. Like I had achieved naming perfection.
But, but no. Nonononono. It was a mistake from the beginning. Sooner rather than later I started to despise the name-
But i still made all of my new accounts with it. Why? I honestly don't know.

Now, i've come to actually really love the subsequent name it created; Nyan. It's short, recognizable, cute, and honestly fits me better than any other word I can think of.

EDIT: Sometime between when I was 10-11 a "The" got thrown in front of "NyanCatXD". That honestly makes it 99.9% better but it makes not difference because it's infinitely horrible.

Last edited:
It took some time till i finally got where i wanted to be name wise.
If we go really far back then my first usernames on my Wii was "Ich" which is german for "Me".
Brilliant i know.
Actually... the first thing i can remember calling myself was on Need For Speed Most Wanted for the PS2. I'm fairly sure i got that game around it's release. So i was 9.
I knew that i had to pick something cool to flow with the wibe of the game.
So I came up with the incredible name: "Coolman"
... I know.

My first proper online Name for games was in minecraft aswell. I wanted a name. So i looked around my desk. I saw some Peach flavoured sweets and an empty container for Vanilla Pudding. So i named myself "Pfirsichpudding" or "Peach Pudding" in english. I was probably 12 or 13 at that point.
...I know.

Then i started to get into the GTA San Andreas Multiplayer Scene. I wanted to test it with a friend. And i knew that my former Minecraft name would be to embarrising. So i wanted something more cool and edgy. So i came up with "mirdochegal" (mir doch egal = I don't care in english)
Very cool, i know.
I made my Twitch account back then with the same name but i changed my name everynow and then in GTA.

Then i started to get really into watching streams and i stumbled apon one american fellow i relly enjoyed watching. He, of course, could not pronounce my full name. So he called me "mirdo". And that stuck since then.

I only later noticed when all my "Wingull fanatism" started to gain traction that mirdo chegal sounds kind of like mirdo seagull. (At least when you pronounce it in english :p) So if you noticed that. Then that's a compleate Coincidence.

Since then I usually go by "mirdo". Or by my real name "Nico". Or as Seagull Overlord. What ever fits the occassion best.

So my story is not a very impressive one. I've basically always used the username Shfinx, ever since I made an account on Dragonfable in 2010 (I still periodically get obsessed with that game. I am right now, and I've done enough grinding to go from level 33 or so to 46). Well, here's the story:

So the first time I ever got Pokemon cards (I had already been playing for a while with my friend) was a Platinum Arceus box. It came with a poster, and I loved that poster to death. One side of the poster was a picture of multiple Arceus forms in a cool pose. Funnily enough, the 8 year old me completely ignored the nice poster and only liked the other side of it, which had a picture of all the cards in the set (similar to the booklets in Elite Trainer Boxes). I absolutely loved going through and comparing their strength in direct 1v1s. I would say that the Pokemon gets one attachment a turn, and see which one would win. I would also do battles against the different rows, to see which row was strongest.

Now for some reason, I absolutely loved this one Pokemon that was on the poster: Shinx. It was at the bottom, along with a couple other basic, weak Pokemon.Here's a picture, in all it's glory. I couldn't copy the actual image for some reason, but here's a link to it:
https://assets.pokemon.com/assets/cms2/img/cards/web/PL4/PL4_EN_SH12.png

Now, it's a slightly different coloration that the usual Shinx. I didn't know that. I just thought it was an awesome looking Pokemon.

I know what you're probably thinking. "But his username is Shfinx, not Shinx. Where'd the F come from?" And to you, I have a reason, but it's not a very good one. You see, the next time I was making an account on something (Dragonfable), I wanted to have my username be Shinx. However, I didn't have the poster with me. My 8-year-old self tried to spell Shinx from memory, and got it wrong, putting an F in it when there wasn't supposed to be one. I realized my mistake, and was disappointed, but only for a bit. I then thought it was still a nice username. Plus, it's almost never taken whenever I want to make an account for something.

TL;DR: I misspelled a Pokemon name and it stuck with me.

Mine's really simple. Tails is a character in the Sonic the Hedgehog series, although it's his nickname. (His canon name is Miles Prower.)

I'm a fan of Sonic, and yeah. I wanted to go by "Miles Prower", but I couldn't. This was sort of a compromise, I guess.

Robin is the protagonist from Fire Emblem Awakening. I'm also a fan of the classic Robin Hood stories. Robin isn't my real name though.

Taiga Aisaga is a main character from Toradora. Although it is actually spelled Aisaka but it was already too late to change it... on the positive side Aisaga is a completely original last name. Also I guess when you try really hard my user name looks like ''Robin a Sage'' Robin can change his/her class to Sage in Fire Emblem Awakening! :D Double meanings wow!

In one of my favorite games, Tales of Vesperia, the legend goes that the star in the sky "Brave Vesperia" is the brother of a long-lost being to the world, the Child of The Full Moon. Brave Vesperia and his sister fought against an awful calamity and saved the world from being completely annihilated. After the battle, Brave Vesperia took to the skies and became a star, to watch over the entirety of Terca Lumireis. (the world's planet)

People usually call me Brave or BV. I don't really mind which.

Brave Vesperia isn't my first name here though. I used to use The Aura Is With Me8 everywhere, because I was obsessed with Lucario. :p

<- I sometimes regret my decision...

Part of the reason I go with my real name or some variation. Not creative, but I will never cringe at it years later.

Especially not after my old YouTube username was read aloud by my science teacher in front of the whole class (long story).

Back