Contest PokéBeach Create-A-Card: March 2018 - Luck ~ Both Portions Up!

Blissey-GX – Type – HP250
Stage 1 – Evolves from Chansey

Ability: Lucky-ish Egg

If your opponent's Pokémon is Knocked Out by damage from an attack of this Pokémon, flip a coin. If heads, take 1 more Prize card. If tails, take 1 less Prize card.

[C][C][C][C] Egg Bomb 200
Flip a coin. If tails, this Pokémon does 50 damage to itself.

[C][C][C][C][C] Risk It For The Biscuit
Flip a coin. If heads, you win this game. If tails, Your opponent wins this game. (You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance:
Retreat: [C][C][C]
When your Pokémon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.
Slowbro BKP - for the GX attack
Alolan Golem GX CRI- for Egg Bomb
Lugia EX LTR- for Lucky-ish Egg
Team Fish Knuckles - for the phrase "Risk it for the Biscuit" :p

Had to take a -2 for an error on the card

Last edited:
Here's my Entry:
create_a_card_s_bellossom_by_kangaflora-dc4r3vx.png

Everyone else seems to be putting their entries up so why not mine.
Ash’s Ash-Greninja GX/ Stage 2 /Evolves from Frogadier/ HP:160 /Water
Ability: Battle Bond
Flip a coin. If heads, your attacks deal 20 more damage. If tails, shuffle a Prize Card into your deck and draw a card. That card is the new Prize Card.
[W][W]Aqua Blade: 60+
If you only attack this turn, this attack deals 60 more damage.
[W][W][W][D]Strike of the Ninja GX
Filp a coin. If heads, this attack knocks out the Defending Pokemon. If tails, this attack knocks out a Benched Pokemon. Do not draw a Prize Card if tails.

[Pokédex Entry: It appears and vanishes with a ninja’s grace. It toys with its enemies using swift movements, while slicing them with throwing stars of sharpest water.]

By the way when can we submit cards?
Cards can be submitted any time before the deadline. ^.^

Oooooooh!

...Flip a coin attacks are the worst -_-

I'm in for image based. I have an idea for a Supporter card but I assume Pokémon only? (I also have ideas for Pokémon so it isn't a problem really)
Yeah, Pokemon only.

Not to be that guy, but what chance we get feedback for January before this month is due?
Text-based will be up shortly, and image-based is pretty much done, but I haven't been able to get into contact with the judge for it, so I don't know how long that will take.

You know what, I'm gonna try out for image-based! Am I allowed to use artwork from booster packs or TCG-wallpapers?
Wallpapers and booster packs for artwork is fine; it's just as long as it's not the same existing artwork for an official card.

Wallpapers and booster packs for artwork is fine; it's just as long as it's not the same existing artwork for an official card.
Decided against it, since I got an idea for an artwork, but I'll keep it in mind for future CAC's, so thank you!

Anyways, here's my entry! :D

krookodile_card_by_steffenka-dc4tju9.png

So at first, I really wanted to do a card with a Pokemon like Togepi, Chansey or Victini (Pokémon that I think are associated with luck), but as I went through the wallpapers saved on my computer, I came across some concept art (from SM) of Grimsley, and then the idea of gambling came into play - since it is very luck-based after all. I wanted the artwork of the card to have some relation to the card effects, so Grimsley is rolling the dice, gambling, while Krookodile is gambling away in the battle arena. The attack is also "game" related, and I consider the coin flip whether or not you're succesfull at playing dirty. When choosing which Pokémon to be in the card along with Grimsley, I naturally wanted a Pokémon he uses, and I thought Bisharp was a bit too obvious, so I went with Krookodile.

Regarding the Ability, I wanted it to be related to gambling, in a way that you can either win or lose - and there's a positive or a negative result for each. I also wanted it to be a choice the player made, so they actually are the ones who gamble. I wanted the attack to be related to Krookodile's seemingly cruel nature, but again playing off of if you're succesful you're discarding an Energy. I wanted the attack to be strong, but not too strong, so that if you choose to gamble it will Knock Out some basic cards (like Tapu Koko), but still not be too overpowered without tools.

Artwork by yours truly
Blanks and Energy by Aschefield101
Attack description inspired by Sandile from Sun & Moon
PokéDex placement inspired by Gigalith from Sun & Moon

Also a quick question, am I allowed to post the artwork on my DeviantArt now, or should I wait till the contest ends?

Edit: It's gonna have to be a -2 points for me, since I unfortunately forgot something I had noted on my sketch ;-;

Last edited:
To what extent does "involve a coin flip" mean? Does it just mean that the card has to mention flipping a coin?
That is correct. However, we are considering opening up the theme up to just be "involve a significant element of 'luck' in at least one attack or ability effect", as oppose to restricting the theme to just coin flips, so watch this space over the next 24 hours!

Also a quick question, am I allowed to post the artwork on my DeviantArt now, or should I wait till the contest ends?

Posting both artwork and your card on DeviantArt is fine, yeah.

Stage 2: Sceptile GX [G] HP240
Evolves from Grovyle

[Ability:] Keeper of the Trees
This Pokémon has +10 HP for each of your Basic [G] Pokémon in play.

[G][G] Quick Blades 90+
Flip 2 coins. This attack does 40 more damage for each heads. If both of them are tails, switch this Pokémon with one of your Benched Pokémon.

[G] Forest Flying GX
This attack does 150 damage to one of your opponent's Pokémon. Treat that Pokémon as your opponent’s Active Pokémon when calculating damage. You may switch this Pokémon with one of your Benched Pokémon. (You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

*Pokémon GX rule: When your Pokémon GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize Cards.*

Weakness: [R] x2
Resistance:
Retreat: [C]
The reason I chose Sceptile was to go for the theme of pure luck, so I clicked “Surprise Me” on the Pokémon Website’s Pokédex and got Sceptile!

For the theme of the card, I wanted to stick to the “Sceptile the Forest Ninja” theme, flying through the trees and slashing forest offenders and whatnot.

Stage 2: Sceptile GX [G] HP240
Evolves from Grovyle

[Ability:] Keeper of the Trees
This Pokémon has +10 HP for each of your Basic [G] Pokémon in play.

[G][G] Quick Blades 90+
Flip 2 coins. This attack does 40 more damage for each heads. If both of them are tails, switch this Pokémon with one of your Benched Pokémon.

[G] Forest Flying GX
This attack does 150 damage to one of your opponent's Pokémon. Treat that Pokémon as your opponent’s Active Pokémon when calculating damage. You may switch this Pokémon with one of your Benched Pokémon. (You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

*Pokémon GX rule: When your Pokémon GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize Cards.*

Weakness: [R] x2
Resistance:
Retreat: [C]
undefined

You totally copied me! *Cries tragically* ;n;

Decided against it, since I got an idea for an artwork, but I'll keep it in mind for future CAC's, so thank you!

Anyways, here's my entry! :D

krookodile_cac_march_2018_by_steffenka-dc4srh9.png

So at first, I really wanted to do a card with a Pokemon like Togepi, Chansey or Victini (Pokémon that I think are associated with luck), but as I went through the wallpapers saved on my computer, I came across some concept art (from SM) of Grimsley, and then the idea of gambling came into play - since it is very luck-based after all. I wanted the artwork of the card to have some relation to the card effects, so Grimsley is rolling the dice, gambling, while Krookodile is gambling away in the battle arena. The attack is also "game" related, and I consider the coin flip whether or not you're succesfull at playing dirty. When choosing which Pokémon to be in the card along with Grimsley, I naturally wanted a Pokémon he uses, and I thought Bisharp was a bit too obvious, so I went with Krookodile.

Regarding the Ability, I wanted it to be related to gambling, in a way that you can either win or lose - and there's a positive or a negative result for each. I also wanted it to be a choice the player made, so they actually are the ones who gamble. I wanted the attack to be related to Krookodile's seemingly cruel nature, but again playing off of if you're succesful you're discarding an Energy. I wanted the attack to be strong, but not too strong, so that if you choose to gamble it will Knock Out some basic cards (like Tapu Koko), but still not be too overpowered without tools.

Artwork by yours truly
Blanks and Energy by Aschefield101
Attack description inspired by Sandile from Sun & Moon
PokéDex placement inspired by Gigalith from Sun & Moon

Shouldn’t the ability say once per turn? Or else you could use the ability infinitely

Ill join for text base

And heres my entry

Black Kyurem GX 250HP Electric type

Attacks:
(E) ice claw 50 damage
(Flip a coin if heads the opponents pokemon is paralyzed

(E)(E)(DCE) Dragon tail: 150 Damage

Freeze Shock GX: 200 damage
This attack does 200 damage times the number of electric energy in your opponents discard pile
(You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Weakness None

Resistance: none

Retreat: 4

Chansey HP 100 Colorless
Basic Pokémon

NO. 113 Egg Pokémon HT: 3’07” WT: 76.3 lbs.

/Ability/ ~ Serene Grace
Whenever you would flip a coin for an attack, that attack does 10 more damage to your opponent’s Active Pokémon (before applying Weakness and Resistance).

[C][C][C] The Luckiest Punch 150
Before doing damage, flip a coin until you get tails. For each heads, draw a card. If you don’t have exactly 7 cards in your hand, this attack does nothing.

Not only are these Pokémon fast runners, they're also few in number, so anyone who finds one must be lucky indeed.

Weakness: Fighting x2
Resistance: None
Retreat: 3

Chansey! I’d didn’t this was a fast Pokémon lol. It might look a little good for a Basic, but 1.) Night March 2.) It’s completely coin-flip reliant and 3.) IT’S A GOOD(ish) CHANSEY CARD CELEBRATE!!! However, it’s Serene Grace Ability could be good in anything that can use coin flips. Unsure on the wording for Serene Grace, but I think this works.

Back