Discussion Sleeve Discussion Thread

1). What kind of sleeves do you use? -ultra pro mattes
2).What sleeves have you tried? -dragon shield (too clunky of a shuffle feel)
3). which have worked?-ultra pro mattes
4). How much do you keep handy at a tournament?- 20 extra, I´ll stalk it back to 20 for day 2(if I make it)

1) I use Dragonshields primarily now. My current deck, LycanZoroark, is sleeved up in a black matte set of 'em.
2) I've tried a few sleeves. Old and New formula KMC Hypers, Ultra Pro Regulars, Mattes, and Eclipses, the sleeves that come from the ETBs, and, of course, Dragonshields.
3) My Old formula KMCs were amazing. They're pretty trashed now, which sucks because they were great sleeves. Don't even try with the New formulas. It's impossible to distinguish the two from card shops, so I just say skip over them entirely. If you want something similar, go with Ultra Pro Eclipses. They work well, they have a nice shuffle feel for a while. Once you've used them for a while, though, they become really stiff and dirty. Once I put in the money for Dragonshields I never looked back. Great card sleeves, durable, can make it through rigorous playtesting, game after game, and will still be near intact. You are downgrading on shuffle quality, but it's not by too much; they still feel amazing. Don't even try with ETB sleeves, they're those foil art sleeves that peel after a day of play. Not something i'd assume you'd be looking for.
4) I just bring whatever I have left of the color Dragonshield I was using. I usually only buy 100-packs, except for the Crimson ones (which are my favorites), which, I bought a 60-pack

Overall, I love almost everything about Dragonshields. They're fantastic sleeves, and I highly reccomend.
tumblr_otru64c3ZX1qioqevo2_400.gif

For my main deck I use KMC Hyper Mats with KMC Perfect Fit. KMC's are highly durable and very nice to shuffle. For my expanded deck and secondary Standard deck I use more KMC Hyper Mats and Diamon & Pearl: Mysterious Treasures prerelease sleeves. I have used Ultra Pro and Dragon Shield sleeves before, but I find them to not be very durable, or in the case of Dragon Shield, get very dirty quickly. I prefer the old formula KMC sleeves, but there incredibly difficult to find, and the new formula's are pretty good. These sleeves generally last half a year, or three major tournaments. Don't bother with Elite Trainer sleeves or Ultra Pro, I'd go straight for the KMC ones, there worth the price.

rising-rivals-garchomp-sleeve.jpg.pagespeed.ce.w_8t03X6Sn.jpg

anyone remember these and how badly they split? like you couldn't shuffle once without losing a few. i've usually used plain Dek Prot pro sleeves, which i prefer to ultra pro for longevity. but now i have a job so i want to get cooler ones. when i first started i played cooler sleeves. at one point ordered legends awakened prerelease sleeves, went through heaps of the black professor sleeves. i care a lot about the look of the deck and sleeves and playmat being cohesive, it's a big part of the fun for me.
299697.jpg
413zd4Mi4OL._SY450_.jpg
41Gpeds2TiL._SY450_.jpg

My son tried the sleeves that come in the elite trainer boxes. For someone just learning to shuffle it was painful to watch. We both switched to dragon shields and haven’t looked back.

I keep reading here about people who “double sleeve”. Does this actually protect the card? Are you trying to avoid damage to the part of the card that is exposed to the opening?

Dragon Shield Classic (gloss), all day, every day, and twice on Sunday (as that is league day). I've tried matte by a variety of makers (the usual suspects including dragon shield), and they always seem to stick too much when mash shuffling. I keep a fresh box of the same color ready in case a sleeve gets damaged, but that's incredibly rare.

So Dragon Shield is still good, huh? I used them back the last time I was playing (roughly 3 years ago) and I liked them. Good to know that they still have good quality.

Dragonshields. They are costy but worth it for nice sleeves. In my case I got 104 instead of 100 so that was cool

1). What kind of sleeves do you use? Ultra Pro Eclipse
2).What sleeves have you tried? Ultra Pro Eclipse, Ultra Pro Matte, ETB Sleeves
3). which have worked?All of the above, eclipse having the best shuffle with matte having a close second, and etb's being clunky.
4). How much do you keep handy at a tournament?- I keep packs of etb's handy, but none of matte/eclipse. If I need to change my sleeves mid tourny, im fine with the etb sleeves.

Back