Discussion Question about searching and shuffling

Vulpixy

Just your friendly neighborhood Vulpix
Hey, I wanted to know how It works in higher competitive play when you use multiple cards in a row to search your deck. Do you need to play one, shuffle, offer the cut, then play the next one? Or would you be able to say, Ultra Ball, Grab a Lele, leave Lele on your bench and grab your supporter then shuffle and offer the cut?

Well, there are ideal hacks that the community agrees on to save time, so if you were going to play three cards that search your deck, you just play them and clearly let your opponent know that you are going back in to search with another card. Some players might want you to do that (play a card and search/shuffle/cut) but most players simply know what is going on.

My experience at locals is just, as long as you're playing them in a row and make it clear what's going on, everything is fine. You shuffle a LOT in Pokemon, so it's a huge time save to just let people play things in order.

A lot of times on stream you'll see someone double ultra ball. As long as your opponent knows what's happening, you are fine.

If your opponent is a bit new however, it might cause a small bit of confusion.

I agree with all the posts. Just be clear about what you are doing.
you opponent most times will nod their head or say OK.
if you do play x ultraball, I would play each one individually
put 1 down with its x2 discards and get the target card, let opp know you are going back into the deck, then do the 2nd card.
helps with clutter and a mass of cards on the field. but if you and opp are both OK with playing more at a time, then its all good.

Okay thanks guys. I've been doing it this way for a while now and wanted to be clear that it was fine (as the most competitive I've been so far is a small league cup). Good to know that I'm on the right track :)

Hey, I wanted to know how It works in higher competitive play when you use multiple cards in a row to search your deck. Do you need to play one, shuffle, offer the cut, then play the next one? Or would you be able to say, Ultra Ball, Grab a Lele, leave Lele on your bench and grab your supporter then shuffle and offer the cut?

This is actually a great question to ask your opponent, and maybe even check with the judging staff of a particular event. This is regardless of the official rules as it strikes me as the exact kind of thing where too few will know the official ruling without looking it up, and won't bother looking it up until you ask. ;) I did not look up the official ruling because I realized... it is a bad idea. Yes, time is precious, but rushing through things is a fantastic way to cheat or to cheat yourself.

Back