Discussion Fast Decks

MHALL1207

Aspiring Trainer
(Standard)

If you want your deck to run fast, with little strategy (aka Turbo Dark) etc.....would you eliminate N's for Cynthia's or mix and match?

Obviously you would run 4 Sycamore, max elixr, ton of items, Octillery, etc, but would you run straight Cythia or mix and match

Personally, I would go with N. Don't get me wrong, Cynthia is looking like it's going to be an amazing card, but N probably fits better in speed decks. Since you likely will set up faster than any non-speed decks, you can use N to try to disrupt them and make them set up even slower. Also, most speed decks don't really need to draw much after the first turn (besides maybe energy), so you can possibly sacrifice the couple extra cards for the disruption. Plus, late game N can absolutely wreck if timed right. Especially if you play Octillery, I would favor N. Of course, it mainly comes down to opinion, but I would say N. Hope this helps!

I don’t think you would run 4 of sycamore. I think it would be 4 Cynthia, 2 N and 2 Sycamore or something like that. Cynthia is really good because you are not forced to discard resources if it’s the only supporter you manually draw into. Sycamore can have negative effects and N can help your opponent early on. You still need N for disruption, it’s very useful late game.

I don’t think you would run 4 of Sycamore. I think it would be 4 Cynthia, 2 N and 2 Sycamore or something like that. Cynthia is really good because you are not forced to discard resources if it’s the only supporter you manually draw into. Sycamore can have negative effects and N can help your opponent early on. You still need N for disruption, it’s very useful late game.

I like that line up because it effectively keeps those resources around while still being able to draw what you need around mid/ late game. Especially if your deck is Greninja like lol.

I like that line up because it effectively keeps those resources around while still being able to draw what you need around mid/ late game. Especially if your deck is Greninja like lol.

Yeah I’ve been thinking about it quite a bit and I’m still unsure. The good thing is that we’ll have pal pad as well so we can risk running splits of draw supporters. Lol yeah I think decks like Greninja that can’t risk losing resources may even cut sycamore all together. Only time will tell I suppose!

In standard, you'd play 4 Sycamore, 2-3 N, and 2-3 Cynthia. Sycamore thins your deck of things you don't want to see again and there's a reason you play higher counts of certain cards. In expanded, Cynthia probably won't see very much play, if any, since Colress is much stronger, and decks are consistent enough to not need it. There are only 2 decks I wouldn't play Sycamore in: expanded Zoroark(because you have draw power and speed), and Bulu, because Cynthia works well in the heavy Skyla version.

I don’t agree with those numbers, but that’s just me. I already don’t play 4 sycamores in any of my decks because it leaves you in bad situations sometimes. I understand how important thinning your deck is, but I think it’s just as important to keep necessary resources in your deck.

I don’t agree with those numbers, but that’s just me. I already don’t play 4 sycamores in any of my decks because it leaves you in bad situations sometimes. I understand how important thinning your deck is, but I think it’s just as important to keep necessary resources in your deck.
Which is why I say to add Cynthia instead of replacing existing resources with it. Consistency is huge in this game, and having Juniper and Sycamore for the past (almost)7 years have been HUGE. They're the best draw supporters in the game, and refreshing your whole hand instead of putting it all back in, and(quite frankly) having it clump up the rest of what you need is great. Like I said, all the important cards are in higher counts for that particular reason, and playing less copies of them, dropping Sycamore, then having space for other stuff means you're not drawing them nearly as much. I know that's something you probably know and didn't bring up, but it's still serves a point. If you shuffle your hand back in to draw 6, then you have less of a chance of grabbing what you need in that moment of the game. Of course Cynthia's still there, so if you don't want to Sycamore in that situation, say, that you DO have important resources that you can't play there and then, but can't afford to Sycamore, then just play Cynthia that turn. I mean, competitive results support this side of the argument, right?

For the sake of discussion, if I'm playing fast, I want to win fast. That's why I said 4 sycamore, just didn't know the split between Cynthia and N

Back