Help Which deck for first Regionals?

FlashRayquaza

Rayquaza Fan
Hey there,
In January I will go to my first Regionals (in Germany, Leipzig). This is my first big tournament, I do not expect to win but my goal is to do my best and gain experience. The question is, which deck to take? My favourite decks are: Golisopod Garbodor (I play it the longest time but the list I play will need changes), Golisopod Zoroark and Volcanion EX.
My main problem is that I don't have many experience with those decks, I often do misplays. In addition I do not really have a chance to do playtesting cause my league is only once per month and my friends/family are actually not good in the TCG.
What would you do if you were me? Which deck would you recommend? Do you have any other advice?

PS: I'm a senior and money (travel, entry fee) is not the problem (cause nice parents).

Draskk

Blast From The Past
Hey there,
In January I will go to my first Regionals (in Germany, Leipzig). This is my first big tournament, I do not expect to win but my goal is to do my best and gain experience. The question is, which deck to take? My favourite decks are: Golisopod Garbodor (I play it the longest time but the list I play will need changes), Golisopod Zoroark and Volcanion EX.
My main problem is that I don't have many experience with those decks, I often do misplays. In addition I do not really have a chance to do playtesting cause my league is only once per month and my friends/family are actually not good in the TCG.
What would you do if you were me? Which deck would you recommend? Do you have any other advice?

PS: I'm a senior and money (travel, entry fee) is not the problem (cause nice parents).
Definitely try testing on TCGO. While your opponents won't be as good as the ones you'd face IRL, it still provides decent practice to hone your skills. Golisopod Zoroark is a great deck right now, and is very consistent. I think it would give you your best shot at doing well. However, Volcanion is a great deck, and Golisopod/Garbodor is somewhat of a dark horse, since people haven't been playing it as much lately. If I were you, I would definitely go to the Regionals, for the experience alone, especially if money isn't an issue.

Hope this was helpful :)

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
I'd play GolisoGarb. If you do something like Azul's list, except you actually play Trashalanche, you're good to go. It's a great meta call right now, and his 4 Enhanced Hammer do a lot of damage to opposing decks

FlashRayquaza

Rayquaza Fan
Definitely try testing on TCGO. While your opponents won't be as good as the ones you'd face IRL, it still provides decent practice to hone your skills
I actually thought about that but I will first need to get the necessary cards traded online.

Maybe I just test the both Golisopod decks on my own (without opponent), and I will see which deck is better for me (hopefully).

Do you have any other tips for going to Regionals?

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
I actually thought about that but I will first need to get the necessary cards traded online.

Maybe I just test the both Golisopod decks on my own (without opponent), and I will see which deck is better for me (hopefully).

Do you have any other tips for going to Regionals?
There's so many tips, and Don't know where to start. I guess the most important thing is to go into the tournament fed and hydrated, as well as do every. Single. Thing. That would distract you if you didn't. ie: brushing teeth, recording your shows before you leave, and remembering your exact 60 card list off the top of your head.

HouchinsDJ

Aspiring Trainer
Always play a deck that you're comfortable with. I think Golisopod/Garbodor is a great choice, and seeing as how the deck recently came in second at the largest Regional to date, it's still a very viable archetype in the format.

pikachuuuu101

Custom Title
Always play a deck that you're comfortable with. I think Golisopod/Garbodor is a great choice, and seeing as how the deck recently came in second at the largest Regional to date, it's still a very viable archetype in the format.
Personally I feel like goliscapod is just not that great of a card anymore, with zoroark GX doing its job better. Volcanion is always going to be good, and if you play it like volcanion, and not ho-oh slazzle, it is quite consistent. It can do quite well with a lower amount of setup than most other decks

thom ye

Aspiring Trainer
Try to go with the deck you are most comfortable with and know the best.
Until you know a deck backwards and forwards.... that is when you can run the deck the way it was designed.
in big tournaments, a lot of is it minimizing any misplays and mistakes.
go with Goli Garb if that is what you like. the experience you'll gain at a big tournament will help you next time.
have fun. have fun. don't worry about the wins/losses. do your best.

GoldenYungoos

A shiny Yungoos appeared!
I'd play golisopod/garb. almost an auto win agianst buzzwole/lycanroc (BDIF in my opinion) and if you can't play it, beat it. it also has a pretty good matchup agianst gardie.

JadeEspeon

Straight Espeonage!
I haven't been to regionals in about two years. I'm going this year though (St.Louis/Collinsville) and I plan on taking a Volcanion variant I came up with. I chose this deck because..

1. PTCGO Testing gave me a 10/1 winstreak with it so far.
2. I'm very comfortable with Volcanion all around.
3. It's a very fun deck to play, no one expects the modifications I made.

It may not be a Tier 1 deck, but realistically, if you're going to Regionals for the first time and expect to be in Top Cut and you're NOT a professional player- you will have a bad time. The social experience is the best part. You and everyone in the Regional are into Pokemon-it's essentially a Pokemon Convention, own it. There's usually vendors and side events that are also worth hitting if you end up in a lose streak.

And if I'm being REAL honest, the people who keep playing and losing are some of the coolest and kindest people you'll meet. They're not playing to win, they're playing for fun.

Everyone wants to do well, I get that- but only one person can really win. I just aim to not be last and enjoy the atmosphere.

BIGGEST REGIONALS TIP: BRING YOUR OWN LUNCH

JadeEspeon

Straight Espeonage!
You're ABSOLutely right and don't forget enough to Drink!

YES! It gets INSANELY hot with that many people talking and breathing in one place...WATER man, WATER!
Bobby-Boucher.jpg

Anthony Mooney

Aspiring Trainer
This is fantastic! Can you post your list? I also play Goli Garb, so it would be really useful to see which techs and decisions you decided to go with.