Discussion Shining Genesect/Venusaur/Zoroark Standard Deck Profile

TheBaconator549

Aspiring Pokemon Trainer
Hey so i was thinking that maybe the third lele should go towards a third zorua beacuse right now i have been having trouble with prizing some or both and if you draw the third in later game you can just trade it. Although its the same problem with brigette

Asmer

Keep the High Tide on the Flipside
Either is good, though I think I prefer a 3-2 Zoroark GX line. After all, getting out Zoroark GX is heavily beneficial to the strategy of this deck, so decreasing the chance of not doing so is definitely worth considering.

That said, keep in mind that you may also prize both Zoroark GX. Still, it is less dead than having them without Zorua.

-Asmer

FrostBiter12

Upcoming Worlds Competitor!
Hey, don't know if you already know this, but Shining Genesect/Venusaur is doing well in Memphis Regionals! Here is a list I think is being played (just based on what I saw/heard) by Harrison Grandish.

Pokemon - 16

3 Shining Genesect - SHL
3 Bulbasaur - SHL
1 Ivysaur - SHL
3 Venusaur - SHL
1 Remoraid - BKT
1 Octillery - BKT
1 Formantis - SUM
1 Lurantis GX - SUM
2 Tapu Lele GX - GRI

Trainers - 31

4 Professor Sycamore
4 N
2 Bridgette
3 Guzma
2 Skyla
4 Ultra Ball
3 Rare candy
2 Wishful Baton
1 Revitalizer
3 Max Elixir
2 Float Stone
2 Field Blower

Energy - 12

12 Grass Energy

So, it doesn't include Zoroark GX which I think is currently the better option since Zoroark GX is being targeted a lot currently (most of the decks in Memphis were Buzzwole GX). No Tapu Bulu GX (which I'm still not certain if it is or isn't in his list) is interesting, but he does play a 1-1 line of Lurantis GX, so energy acceleration is made a little easier. No Super Rod seems too risky, but it seems to be working just fine for him. Wishful Baton seems like an interesting concept (not sure if he had three or two), it accelerates energy a lot more than Exp. Share, but I couldn't see a single copy of Choice Band or Fighting Fury Belt, so that seems a little strange to me. So, based upon what I saw with this list, he plays it almost like a Greninja Break deck by banking off the fact that Shining Genesect is a one-prize attacker. Instead of preserving Shining Genesects like the list we're working on, he focuses on making sure that he has another one ready when the active one gets K.O.ed. Some changes I'd make to this list personally would be...

-1 Revitalizer: I honestly think that Super Rod is better, but since this deck plays Lurantis GX, I guess energy doesn't stay in the discard for too long (with Wishful Baton it may not even get there in the first place).

-1 Prof. Sycamore: For space purposes since Octillery helps with draw support most of the time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+1 Super Rod: Energy recycle option.

+1 Wishful Baton: Helps with consistency (if a few get discarded by Field Blower) and saves energy.

I'd like to find room for a Tapu Bulu GX, but that seems a little clunky at the moment and discarding energy doesn't go well with this particular list (keep in mind, I don't know the exact list, this is just my guess after looking at him sifting through his deck after Ultra Ball and other search options). Let me know what you think, thanks!

Serperior

~
Advanced Member
I was so happy to see this deck do well! I'm not sure what his matchups were, (he must have dodged all the Gardy), but man was it cool seeing it out there! Grass is powerful right now against Lycanroc and Greninja, and those Wishful Baton were cool to see in action!

I don't think I'd add Bulu in here. Lurantis is a nifty 1-1 line that I think is great for poor discards and has an exceptional GX attack that can do a hefty amount of damage with Venusaur in play without needing to discard Grass Energy.

DarkMatterGaming

Aspiring Trainer
I was so happy to see this deck do well! I'm not sure what his matchups were, (he must have dodged all the Gardy), but man was it cool seeing it out there! Grass is powerful right now against Lycanroc and Greninja, and those Wishful Baton were cool to see in action!

You and me both! I love Venusaur right now. Really neat effect + really cool Pokemon to go alongside it. I'm excited to see where the deck goes next!

TheBaconator549

Aspiring Pokemon Trainer
Yes i really love that the deck finally had a good showing at a big tournament!! I definently think that wishful baton is a very good option to maintain resources

TheBaconator549

Aspiring Pokemon Trainer
Ok so here is the list that Harrison Grandish played at Memphis Regionals:

Pokemon 14:

3 Shining Genesect
2 Bulbasaur
1 Ivysaur
2 Venusaur
1 Lurantis Gx
1 Fomantis
1 Octillery
1 Remoraid
2 Tapu Lele Gx

Trainers 34:

4 Professor Sycamore
4 N
2 Brigette
2 Guzma
1 Mallow
1 Gladion
4 Ultra Ball
4 Max elixir
3 Rare Candy
2 Field Blower
1 Revitalizer
2 Float Stone
2 Wishful Baton
12 Grass Energy

So this is the list Harrison Grandish used to get 10th place at Memphis Regionals.
I think that the 2-1-2 Venusaur line creates too much of a consitency issue that could be fixed easily. 3-1-3 is a much more consistent line especially since i am not a huge fan of the gladion. The lurantis line seems great especially better than tapu bulu gx. Octillery doesnt seem as good as zoroark unless there is a two two line because those prize cards are killer once again and late game draw is extremely important. I think that no zoroark plus grass weakness on lycanroc creates a really good matchup against buzzwoll. 4 Sycamore doesnt seem necassary to me just because then there is too much being discarded that is valuable. I like the brigette and guzma count as well as the mallow. The second skyla doesnt seem necassary to me as well as the fourth max elixir. A third wishful baton seems like it would be very good in this deck and helps with conserving energy. The twelve energy seems nice especially with 4 max elixir. So what do you guys think should the octillery line be replaced with a 2-2 or just replaced with a 2-2 Zoroark gx line? Also what do you guys think about the list itself and what changes r good. I will be posting my own updated list very soon so stay tuned

FrostBiter12

Hey, was just thinking that instead of Lurantis GX, maybe you could try playing Rayquaza (GRI) for Turbo Storm since it is more consistent, has resistance to Fighting types (which have a lot of hype right now), and isn't weak to Fire types (which sets it apart from your other attackers). The main reason I like Lurantis GX is because it is a bulky attacker that can recycle energy longer than Rayquaza, can attach it to itself with Flower Supply, and it's GX move can hit for high numbers (especially with Venusaur in play). If your worried about the DCE cost of Turbo Storm on Rayquaza, from my testing I've found that by the time I have energy in the discard and Lurantis GX ready to go (which takes a little more time than usual), most of the time I already have a Venusaur in play as well. Just something to think about. Another idea I had would be to throw in a Lurantis promo. Sometimes I find myself with a lone Fomantis and never use Lurantis GX that game, so I might as well take advantage of it. A 1-1-1 Fomantis, Lurantis, and Lurantis GX line shouldn't hurt the consistency of the deck to badly, so if you don't like Rayquaza, maybe you can try this out instead. Let me know what you think, thanks!

Last edited:

Serperior

~
Advanced Member
Rayquaza is a nifty idea, but you explained why Lurantis is better yourself. It's bulkier, has access to a GX attack, and even has a powerful secondary attack in Solar Blade. The Promo would hurt consistency, however. If you're going with a 1-1/1 split, you leave yourself with at least one dead card in all of your games because you don't include a second Fomantis. See where I'm going with this?

DarkMatterGaming

Aspiring Trainer
Tagging on: it's also useful even without Venu on the field since Flower Supply is a one energy attack. Ray's the same if you have Venu on the field, and then you run into what Serperior just said.

TheBaconator549

Aspiring Pokemon Trainer
Ive been running a two fomantis 1 lurantis gx and one of the promos. It helps beat buzzwole and helps with any 180 pokemon and also used in the gardy matchup

FrostBiter12

Rayquaza is a nifty idea, but you explained why Lurantis is better yourself. It's bulkier, has access to a GX attack, and even has a powerful secondary attack in Solar Blade. The Promo would hurt consistency, however. If you're going with a 1-1/1 split, you leave yourself with at least one dead card in all of your games because you don't include a second Fomantis. See where I'm going with this?

I understand you point, @Serperior, and running a seconded Fomantis would increase consistency, but how many times do you think you're going to have both Lurantis GX and Lurantis (PR) in play at the same time? I would prefer to have the option of the Lurantis (PR) instead of no option at all, so playing one in here is like playing one Ivysaur, sometimes you use it, sometimes you don't. It's there so you have the option of using it. The main reason I'd play two Fomantis is so that I don't prize one, which happens surprisingly often. I will agree though with what you mentioned on Rayquaza though in that it isn't as useful has Lurantis GX for the reasons I mentioned earlier. Just an idea that could be investigated (which I haven't started testing yet). I will probably start playing a seconded Fomantis anyways for the reasons mentioned above.

Tagging on: it's also useful even without Venu on the field since Flower Supply is a one energy attack. Ray's the same if you have Venu on the field, and then you run into what Serperior just said.

Good point, I was thinking that the Fighting Resistance would be a plus with all of the Fighting type Pokémon running around (Buzzwole GX, Lycanroc GX, etc.). Most of the time I find myself getting Venusaur before Lurantis GX since it is mandatory for success, so by the time I do have Lurantis GX in play, Venusaur is already sitting on the bench which means that Rayqauza does almost the same thing as a one prize attacker. One of the big things I like about Lurantis GX though is its Chloroscythe GX attack which hits for amazing numbers with Venusaur in play.