• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Volcanion after London (Discussion)

1ronhead

Aspiring Trainer
So this is more like a discussion. I am wondering what you guys think about volcanion in the current meta. Also, what kinds of changes should be made?
I think volcanion definitely has some potential currently, because it has a good matchup against silvally metal and golisopod. Also, as long as garde no longer plays sylveon, the matchup seems better.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 13

* 1 Oranguru SUM 113
* 2 Turtonator-GX GRI 131
* 4 Volcanion STS 25
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 155
* 4 Volcanion-EX STS 115

##Trainer Cards - 33

* 4 Professor Sycamore STS 114
* 4 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99
* 1 Lillie SUM 147
* 1 Switch SUM 160
* 1 Super Rod BKT 149
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 161
* 2 Float Stone BKT 137
* 4 Guzma BUS 143
* 2 Field Blower GRI 163
* 4 N NVI 101
* 2 Enhanced Hammer GRI 162
* 4 Max Elixir BKP 102

##Energy - 14

* 14 Fire Energy 2

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

This is my orginal list. I haven't made any changes yet. But I am thinking of another turtonator, since it seems important to hit for the number you need. Also, I am hesitant on the field blower, because there are not too many garb right now.

So tell me what you guys think!

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
Why no Stadiums?

During mid-game after most of your energy have been attached and/or discarded, how do you plan to continue inflict heavy damage? It seems you'll need to revert to using Volcanion for energy recovery and attachment - which could cost you valuable time. So, why not incorporate Energy Retrieval and/or Fisherman? Note that Garb may not be an issue as much as opponents running Max Potions in some popular decks that can tilt games in their favor when you can't maintain heavy damage/1HKOs consistently.

1ronhead

Aspiring Trainer
Why no Stadiums?

During mid-game after most of your energy have been attached and/or discarded, how do you plan to continue inflict heavy damage? It seems you'll need to revert to using Volcanion for energy recovery and attachment - which could cost you valuable time. So, why not incorporate Energy Retrieval and/or Fisherman? Note that Garb may not be an issue as much as opponents running Max Potions in some popular decks that can tilt games in their favor when you can't maintain heavy damage/1HKOs consistently.
I've considered brooklet hill, but I feel it is actually not that necessary. With draw supporters, you can usually get at least 1-2 volcanion ex in the first several turns. And that is all you need in most of the cases. If I were to play brooklet hill, I will add starmie line instead of energy retrieval and fisherman, because you want to maximize the use of your 3 stadiums.

Talking about energy retrieval and fisherman, I think with 14-15 energy, you rarely run out of energy during the late game. I would rather play a 15th energy instead of energy retrieval.

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
I've considered brooklet hill, but I feel it is actually not that necessary. With draw supporters, you can usually get at least 1-2 volcanion ex in the first several turns. And that is all you need in most of the cases. If I were to play brooklet hill, I will add starmie line instead of energy retrieval and fisherman, because you want to maximize the use of your 3 stadiums.

Talking about energy retrieval and fisherman, I think with 14-15 energy, you rarely run out of energy during the late game. I would rather play a 15th energy instead of energy retrieval.
From my experience, in playing against decks like Gardevoir GX and Golisopod-Zoroark, you can easily "run out" of energy once you hit mid-game if you were not able to get enough 1HKOs early game...

FrostBiter12

Upcoming Worlds Competitor!
So, I'm not a very experienced with Volcanion EX (not a very good first impression, I know), but I was at a tournament the other day and I say an interesting tech in Volcanion EX that I think could be considered. Due to the rise in popularity, Zoroark GX is in most of the decks currently seen, so a counter that Volcanion EX could use is Marshadow GX since all of your attackers are basics and Marshadow GX can copy any of their attacks. Just a fun idea, let me know what you think about it, thanks!

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life
So, I'm not a very experienced with Volcanion EX (not a very good first impression, I know), but I was at a tournament the other day and I say an interesting tech in Volcanion EX that I think could be considered. Due to the rise in popularity, Zoroark GX is in most of the decks currently seen, so a counter that Volcanion EX could use is Marshadow GX since all of your attackers are basics and Marshadow GX can copy any of their attacks. Just a fun idea, let me know what you think about it, thanks!
Shadow isn't affected by Steam Up though. Maybe run Silvally for free retreat?

1ronhead

Aspiring Trainer
That is quite interesting, especially when marshadow can equip fighting fury belt, but I feel 210 damage is relatively achievable in most volcanion deck. Maybe I will test a few games with that. Thank you for the idea.

1ronhead

Aspiring Trainer
From my experience, in playing against decks like Gardevoir GX and Golisopod-Zoroark, you can easily "run out" of energy once you hit mid-game if you were not able to get enough 1HKOs early game...
I feel 14-15 energy is fine as long as you only use energy when needed, especially when you have super rod in deck. But one copy of energy retrieval could definitely be a good inclusion.