Discussion Why Zoroark GX/Golisopod GX is so strong?

GymLdrJesse

Twitter/X @JessePrker
Advanced Member
I should add that this was the first big standard event that both shining legends AND crimson invasion became legal. That is why we saw a lot of new decks.

Laurier_Ex

Ninja master
I do not like the way PTCG as headed lately. A supporter should not have such a powerful attack and such high HP. When Shaymin released, sure it was kinda broken and was needed in almost every deck that wanted to be competitive but it had a drawback, not a good attack and few HP. Now, we got Tapu Lele Gx and now Zoroark Gx that are supporters but it does not feel right that they can hit such big numbers and have so much HP.

I am quite disappointed because this type of card reduces the variety of decks that have the chance to be competitive.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
That "one guy" is Tord Reklev, who is one of the best players in the game. And he didn't come up with the list by himself. Magnus Helle Kalland and Benjamin Pham both used the exact same list and came in 8th and 9th place at the same tournament, respectively. Golisopod GX/Zoroark GX also had three more placings in the Top 32, meaning that this was an archetype that was heavily tested before Internationals.

It's strong for the same reasons that other Golisopod GX variants are strong. Consistent 2HKOs, Acerola spam, very mobile. Zoroark GX adds crazy draw support, plus a solid back-up attacker that isn't OHKO'd so easily against Volcanion. It's also able to use Puzzle of Time effectively, which is huge in my opinion.

I think the only deck that really gives it a hard time is Brokenvoir. Max Potion spam is hard for Golisopod and Zoroark to get around, especially when they can use Gardevoir's GX attack and reuse all four of them again. On the flip side, Golisopod/Zoroark having access to Acerola and Puzzle of Time helps. The deck can also set up faster than Gardevoir. It's an interesting matchup where resource management is essential.

Basically, we already knew Golisopod GX is strong. Adding insane draw support makes it even better.
But It's not a Golisopod deck ;) Tord was REALLY finicky about this

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
I do not like the way PTCG as headed lately. A supporter should not have such a powerful attack and such high HP. When Shaymin released, sure it was kinda broken and was needed in almost every deck that wanted to be competitive but it had a drawback, not a good attack and few HP. Now, we got Tapu Lele Gx and now Zoroark Gx that are supporters but it does not feel right that they can hit such big numbers and have so much HP.

I am quite disappointed because this type of card reduces the variety of decks that have the chance to be competitive.
Without those cards, people would be playing heavier item lines, and Garbotoxin would be less relevant anyway, so that would set Trashalanche up to destroy the format, once again. Plus, when Shaymin came out, the format was different, with not NEARLY as much OHKO decks that this format has. Between cards like Koko and all the stupid attackers that have been printed, Lele's HP almost doesn't matter, and Energy Drives is just, good.

Laurier_Ex

Ninja master
Without those cards, people would be playing heavier item lines, and Garbotoxin would be less relevant anyway, so that would set Trashalanche up to destroy the format, once again. Plus, when Shaymin came out, the format was different, with not NEARLY as much OHKO decks that this format has. Between cards like Koko and all the stupid attackers that have been printed, Lele's HP almost doesn't matter, and Energy Drives is just, good.

I am not against such card but making a crazy good supporter have 170Hp or in Zoroarks case 210Hp is a bit too much imo.

HouchinsDJ

Aspiring Trainer
But It's not a Golisopod deck ;) Tord was REALLY finicky about this

Golisopod is in the deck, correct? :p Zoroark is a bigger focus, but the deck still plays the two-shot game, just like Golisopod decks. It still uses heavy counts of Acerola and Guzma, just like Golisopod decks. It's a variant of the Golisopod builds that came before it.

Laurier_Ex

Ninja master
In short, the deck is strong because of the fact that it requires only 1 energy attachment and because of Acerola. This allows the deck to refresh a damaged pokémon whilst providing a fresh attacker in the same turn. That is what makes the deck so strong. Unless you can OHKO Gollisopod or Zoroark you are in trouble.

The Golden Mewtwo

Currently crying because I'm a 16 year old senior
I did a league challenge yesterday and came second in my division, I tied with a marshadow deck and almost won because of gaebotoxin. It would have absolutely destroyed zoroark/golisopod. Thoughts?

FlashRayquaza

Rayquaza Fan
I like both Goli Garb and Zoro Goli. They have both pros and cons. When less people Play Goli Garb, less people will play 3 Field blower and then it could make an unexpected comeback. There was also a Goli Garb who made London top 32.

The Golden Mewtwo

Currently crying because I'm a 16 year old senior
I will say that was my second match. I went 3-1-0 and lost to zoroark/decidueye. It was a close match because I took game one and he took the other two

formula1man

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I had a league challenge on the weekend with this and got beaten 3 times in a row by deciduye Zoroark. Now I was unlucky and got very close in the first two at least before I lost my brain a little, but was wondering if this is an expected poor matchup. Also what is the best strategy to defeat it. The people I played were very skilled and I think all knew each other so likely tested together and came up with the same list, and I did make a few mistakes, that once I get more experienced I will do better.
Any help though would be appreciated. I just found the max potions really killed me and then they would eventually get three deciduye out and could start one hitting me.