News New Solgaleo-GX and Lunala-GX in November Starter Set!

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
Y'all are though. Don't get me wrong the deck is going to be tier two or one, but it isn't an untouchable deck like y'all are thinking. First of all, weakness only applies to Volcanion-EX and Ho-Oh-GX/Salazzle-GX, so if you have literally any other match-up other than that, this Solgaleo-GX does nothing unless you need to heal something. It is good that this is taking down Gardevoir-GX, but Gardevoir has been on the decline, so even that isn't as amazing as y'all think. Right now some of the best decks in standard that I haven't already covered are Garbodor decks, Alolan Ninetales, and Tapu Bulu. And these all aren't amazing match-ups.

Trashalance Garbodor can definitely get OHKOs on 250 HP, if you playing Solgaleo-GX and use 12-14 items, your opponent playing Trashalance can get consistent OHKOs. However that's realistically not going to happen, however, cards like Rare Candy and Ultra Ball are necessary for this deck to work consistently. So you have to pick your poison, risk having an inconsistent set-up skipping Rare Candy and instead go for Cosmoem manual evolutions, or risk setting up quick OHKOs for your opponent. And need I mention that Solgaleo-GX is a two-prize attacker, and Garbodor is a one-prize attacker, your prize game won't be in your favor. And on top of that, Garbotoxin removes Ultra Road, and assuming this deck doesn't run many copies of Float Stone, Guzma's are going to hurt a lot.

Alolan Ninetales, a little bit more iffy than my last point, but still it needs to be mentioned. Baby Alolan Ninetales blocks Solgaleo-GX, which means if you're worried about this match-up you need to put in a Baby Solgaleo, or risk having a horrible matchup if they get Baby Alolan Ninetales out. And if you add Baby Solgaleo, your either ending up with a 2-1-1 or 3-1-1 split of Solgaleos, either you're not going to have enough of your attackers or way too many Solgaleos. Honestly, I'd just go for a 3-1 split of the GX's and just take the L on these match-ups, since Aloan Ninetales is also on the decline. But my point isn't that this is a valid thing to worry about, simply that this deck isn't untouchable like you think, things can still counter this.

Another thing I think were forgetting is that nasty, "Discard all Energy from this Pokemon.' There's no getting away from this. This deck is still inconsistent, even if you switch between attacking with the SUMO Solgaleo-GX, then restoring his energy with the new Solgaleo-GX the next turn. THIS ISN'T CONSISTENT. You are going to be left with awkward two hit KOs with the new Solgaleo-GX on every match-up that isn't Gardevoir-GX, as you wouldn't want to build up a Solgaleo-GX and then blow it on something you can just attack with something else. This rarely works! The only time this type of attack where you discard all energy has worked are Tapu Bulu-GX and Necrozma-GX, but those are only good because you can get them immediately set-up the next turn with Vikavolt and Metagorss-GX, and attack with the same attacker. Instead of this deck wwere you have to switch attackers just to get your attacker set-up. The only way you could combat this would be adding Metagross-GX, but that would be a horrible idea. Even though this deck can get consistent knockouts, you're going to have to wait to attack again.

Do I think Solgaleo-GX is going to be a good deck, yes, but it's not as amazing as you all think. So no, I don't think I'm "stupid," for underhyping this deck, I'm just looking past the veil of perfection you all have put over this card. Only to realize there are things wrong with this deck that you aren't covering.
I mean you compared solgaleos ability to altar of sun which while they do the same thing an ability is much harder to remove than a stadium hints why altar of sun is a joke. Secondly 120 and acceleration for a DCE is really good the gx move is trash except against necrozma and koko but there's lots of other options for gx moves solgaleo could make use of its also cleanly KO's things like garde and garb and and with a dhelmise down in knockes out baby volc. Solgaleo is a good deck looking at the meta now and will be good when it comes out and if it forces a meta change to go away from garde and garb even better

PineDog

Random TCG Trainer
I mean you compared solgaleos ability to altar of sun which while they do the same thing an ability is much harder to remove than a stadium hints why altar of sun is a joke. Secondly 120 and acceleration for a DCE is really good the gx move is trash except against necrozma and koko but there's lots of other options for gx moves solgaleo could make use of its also cleanly KO's things like garde and garb and and with a dhelmise down in knockes out baby volc. Solgaleo is a good deck looking at the meta now and will be good when it comes out and if it forces a meta change to go away from garde and garb even better
I think your missing the point of my previous post my friend. My previous point wasn’t calling Solgaleo-GX a bad deck, hence why I called it tier two or tier one. This deck is going to be good, instead I was trying to point out that the deck wasn’t without weakness, that you could still defeat this deck. And I didn’t mention Altar of the Sunne in this post because I realized my reasoning in the last post was garbage. There’s a reason I didn’t mention that in this post. I do agree with you it is going to initiate a meta change, but I think mostly it’s just going to drop Gardevoir-GX and Volcanion down a couple of rungs. Though I don’t think that means Solgaleo-GX is the immediate BDIF, it might be down the line, but this probably isn’t going to immediately sweep the scene and become BDIF. I think Garbodor still has the best shot of staying tier one when this card prints, and because even if Solgaleo-GX isn’t an auto win, it still has good matchups against few rest of the format. I might be wrong f and printing this one card somehow magically gets all of us to stop playing the decks we’re playing right now to pick up tings that specifically counter or are Solgaleo-GX, which is definitely not going to happen right away. Garbodor is still going to be good.

Waplozes

*Trumpeting Peaks*
Well, good thing I saw Solgaleo was getting better and invested in a few! I should be ready to build the deck when It comes out! I honestly thought Registeel would make Solgaleo good so this is a nice surprise.
I agree. Also, I have no coffee. My apologies.

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
Words can not express how much I've wanted a Cynthia card sense starting the tcg and the fact that's it's great makes it even better

Rodzillaj3

Aspiring Trainer
Granted it doesn't interrupt your opponent's hand but could this be the next 4 of supporter in the next rotation if we lose N and maybe Sycamore?

DKQuagmire

Who else but Quagsire?
Words can not express how much I've wanted a Cynthia card sense starting the tcg and the fact that's it's great makes it even better

I remember there being a card called Cynthia's feelings, in one of the Platinum sets, along side Garchomp C, and Garchomp C Lv. X that both had Cynthia's face in the corner of the card.

Don Pianta

Old man
I remember there being a card called Cynthia's feelings, in one of the Platinum sets, along side Garchomp C, and Garchomp C Lv. X that both had Cynthia's face in the corner of the card.
Cynthia's Feelings was great. Only card with a promo variant I actually wanted to get a playset of.

Connor Ritter

TCG Player
Advanced Member
Sinnoh confirmed? Also so thankful that this will fill the awkward void of no VS Seeker or other great draw supporters.

DKQuagmire

Who else but Quagsire?
Lol poor Shauna.

Tbh I use N as disruption more than anything so it has a different place.

If on your turn 1 you opponent doesn't play a supporter card, they probobly have a bad hand. do you really want to give your opponent a new hand of 6. NOPE! Cynthia will be the card of choice in the early game since you won't be discarding those valuable DCE cards.

N is still a good card, but will only see play in the late game when the opponent has 1 prize remaining.
should N still be a 4 copy card? maybe not. i say play a 2-2 cynthia N split. maybe favouring Cynthia a little bit more, because even if your down to 1 prize card, you can still get a new hand of 6.

Kyrushi

Squirrel
Oh YES! This is great! Now, all they have to do is give N the boot. No more N and i'm going to be extremely happy with the future of standard.