News Japan's SM4+ Set: 'GX Battle Boost!'

ImDaBanana

The real world Nanab Berry!
The GX attack has the same wording as Town Map's Japanese print, so I'm very confident in saying this was a translation error and it only effects prize cards.

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
  • Celesteela GX - TOO MUCH EXPENSIVE!! The first atk makes Dugtrio do the job. The second atk is...ugghh!! The GX At doesn't deserve to being used as an early-game atk. If it is for just DCE, Go ahead and use it to look if your good cards were prized or not. High HP, Weak to Raichu and Xurkie, Searchable by Heavy Ball, 2-3 Geodudes.
@WastedSkyPirate , that is basically the whole gimmick of Ultra Beasts.

HA559

Aspiring Trainer
It seems as though this is one of the more happier of the ultrabeast judging from it's smiling tiny face.

DarkSentinel66

Aspiring Trainer
Starting the game with a 200hp mon rather than your vulnerable little beldum isn't the worst thing in the world. And it's gx hits hard enough for all of the common threats out there. The steel typing with lout fire weakness is also very nice. Overall a good tech in any Metagross deck but certainly not meta changing in any sense. I am interested to see if the gx applies to the deck as well or maybe just the top card of your deck maybe? Otherwise you'd be flipping your whole deck over and the top card would be at the bottom.

BKRapper

Aspiring Trainer
Assuming the GX attack is referring to prize cards only, would you flip your prizes before or after taking a prize if you got a knockout with that attack?

doubleb036

Jolteon GX Hopeful
Advanced Member
Just to be sure.. Question about de GX attack.

Blaster GX: 180 damage. Turn each of your face-down cards face up. (Those cards stay face-up for the rest of the game.) (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

It says 'Turn each of your face-down cards face up" So probably only your Prize cards.. But why doesn't it just say turn up your prize cards? Could something new be coming? And why doesn't your entire deck count as face-down cards? Or does it count..?

It would be super interesting if it hinted at something new coming. I know others are saying this is a translation slip up but there is always room to hope. Maybe something new could be on the way, like making a certain active card or card in hand a prize card your opponent can only take after taking the first 5 prizes? Thus really setting your opponent back if you can pick out a really influential card. It wouldn't synergize with this card but just a thought lol

Last edited:

Goldbot123

Aspiring Trainer
Starting the game with a 200hp mon rather than your vulnerable little beldum isn't the worst thing in the world. And it's gx hits hard enough for all of the common threats out there. The steel typing with lout fire weakness is also very nice. Overall a good tech in any Metagross deck but certainly not meta changing in any sense. I am interested to see if the gx applies to the deck as well or maybe just the top card of your deck maybe? Otherwise you'd be flipping your whole deck over and the top card would be at the bottom.

I think Celesteela could be very good in Solgaleo, who is way more susceptible to fire attackers, and since Solgale uses DCE shouldnt be as hard to power Celesteela up. Might require Dhelmise or Alolan Dugtrio to be good

Kietharr

Aspiring Trainer
I agree that this could be an okay one-of in Solgaleo for the odd weakness matchup, it's a meh card but it's not unplayable.

Most of the UBs are in that place, everyone calls them horrible when they're strictly okayish, something you could play in casuals or online effectively but not something you'd take to an event.

WastedSkyPirate

Assuming the GX attack is referring to prize cards only, would you flip your prizes before or after taking a prize if you got a knockout with that attack?

I believe you would flip them up before taking a prize as effects resolve before you check for Knock Outs.

Goldbot123

Aspiring Trainer
I agree that this could be an okay one-of in Solgaleo for the odd weakness matchup, it's a meh card but it's not unplayable.

Most of the UBs are in that place, everyone calls them horrible when they're strictly okayish, something you could play in casuals or online effectively but not something you'd take to an event.

It might have a fun PTCGO deck with Alolan Dugtrio and Mount L, but for the most part i culd see it as a possible metagross tech for Volcanion, and a Solgaleo tech for Volcanion. outside of that it is deliciously mediocre.

I do agree though that none of the Ultra Beasts are "bad". most of them are just more of a tech kind of pokemon rather than something to make a deck out of (Except Guzzlord and maybe Buzzwole)

HouchinsDJ

Aspiring Trainer
I can see someone trying to build a Celesteela GX deck with Alolan Dugtrio as support to boost Rocket Fall. A Metal Energy and DCE isn't terrible for an attack cost. You could easily get it charged up and have a Dugtrio on the bench Turn 2. You can also use Heavy Ball which is always good. And you also can use Dhelmise, however I haven't ran any damage calculations yet to see if Dhelmise's +10 attack boost is worth it. Plus it's GX attack can OHKO Golisopod with a Choice Band. The fact that it OHKOs Gardevoir easily and isn't weak to Fire are great strengths. I don't see if being a Tier 1 deck, but I don't think it's bad.

I think it'll be best utilized as a tech in Metagross decks. Being able to accelerate energies onto it in one turn so you can get those OHKOs on things like Golisopod, while giving you a strong attacker that's not weak to Fire is good.

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Could be a decent tech attacker in metal Silvally GX deck with Mount Lanakila. The card would be much better if the damage of the second and third attack were switched.

EpicShonenGuy

Aspiring Trainer
Not bad actually, i can see this being played quite a lot since it can OHKO gardy and it isn't weak to fire so yeah i'm really looking forward to make a deck with this card and alolan dugtrio + mount lanakila and maybe dhelmise, we'll see

Last edited:

Memory

不安のない挑戦はない
I see this possibly being playable in Silvally-GX, as a gardy counter. Otherwise, this is just awful.

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
If it was 60 plus 30 this would be allot better as it could knock out volcanion. However retreat cost attack suck in that if your opponent has a float stone or some other way to make the retreat cost zero it does almost nothing