Discussion Why is Gardevoir so hard to play? Even with good starts, I still lose.

So, in my experience, top tier decks are either super easy or super hard to play. Gardevoir is more of the latter. Being a stage 2 deck, it takes a while to get up and running, and, as stated above, people are finding all sorts of ways to counter it. One of the hardest parts of playing any game is learning the process of meta-gaming, or, simply put, trying to find out what your opponent thinks what you are going to do, and trying to work around that. You just have to tweak things here and there to find out what works.

i've never been good at that.

3-6 recently with the deck but with Golisopod i'm like 17-8. I think what that says is that Golisopod is just the better deck this format?
Gardevoir isn't quite the easiest deck to play, for some maybe, but for others it can be confusing. However, don't blame it on draws. The moment you start complaining about how your luck with it is terrible and the deck is worse then other decks, you will be labeled as a noob or scrub (And rightfully so). You, and only you, are responsible for your results. You may draw terribly, but that's part of the game whether you like it or not. One of the best ESports athletes ever once said, "If you don't know how to react to a situation 99 times out of a 100, you're not good enough." I can't tell you how many times I've gotten up from a match (Whether it be MTG or Pokemon) that I genuinely bested my opponent in, and he/she started making all of these excuses and naming all the reasons why they lost which coincidentally doesn't include them. What's worse is when they start throwing 'ifs' and 'buts' at me, expecting their name to magically appear underneath the win column on the results slip. IF only I drew this, this turn. BUT I could have beat you had I played this card. It's hella annoying, which is why you're being labeled a scrub. Go back, check your priorities when playing, make sure your order of operations are in check, and make sure you play the deck to the most optimal level. In the end, maybe the deck isn't for you? I'll be honest, I can't stand playing decks like Greninja or Decidueye and I always do poorly with them. That doesn't mean the decks are bad, on the contrary, they're extremely scary when played RIGHT. Just find what deck works for you best. If you're not having fun playing Gardy, why bother anyway. It's a game after all. Do what you find fun, and don't expect tournament winning decks to yield the same results.

Gardevoir isn't quite the easiest deck to play, for some maybe, but for others it can be confusing. However, don't blame it on draws. The moment you start complaining about how your luck with it is terrible and the deck is worse then other decks, you will be labeled as a noob or scrub (And rightfully so). You, and only you, are responsible for your results. You may draw terribly, but that's part of the game whether you like it or not. One of the best ESports athletes ever once said, "If you don't know how to react to a situation 99 times out of a 100, you're not good enough." I can't tell you how many times I've gotten up from a match (Whether it be MTG or Pokemon) that I genuinely bested my opponent in, and he/she started making all of these excuses and naming all the reasons why they lost which coincidentally doesn't include them. What's worse is when they start throwing 'ifs' and 'buts' at me, expecting their name to magically appear underneath the win column on the results slip. IF only I drew this, this turn. BUT I could have beat you had I played this card. It's hella annoying, which is why you're being labeled a scrub. Go back, check your priorities when playing, make sure your order of operations are in check, and make sure you play the deck to the most optimal level. In the end, maybe the deck isn't for you? I'll be honest, I can't stand playing decks like Greninja or Decidueye and I always do poorly with them. That doesn't mean the decks are bad, on the contrary, they're extremely scary when played RIGHT. Just find what deck works for you best. If you're not having fun playing Gardy, why bother anyway. It's a game after all. Do what you find fun, and don't expect tournament winning decks to yield the same results.

I don't give a shit if you call me a scrub or noob, because it's inaccurate for one. And like I said before, when the opponent is preventing me from getting set up AND i'm having difficulty in establishing anything, yeah, I'm probably going to lose. I find that I struggle with Stage 2 decks because I had this issue with Bulu as well but I win a lot with Garb variants, Volcanion, etc. Seems that stage 2's are really clunky and are more inconsistent.

And lol at you saying I shouldn't expect other decks to do well for me. (If that's what you implied with that last line.) I bet I could do better with Golisopod at a League Cup than I did with Garde (2-3) because I just do better with the deck in testing and it fits my style more.

I very nearly went 3-2 at my first League Cup but my losses were because I struggled to set up. I just could not find cards to establish a solid setup. How is that on me? Any player would have lost in the situations I was in. To say otherwise is ignorant considering you didn't see the hands or weren't there, nor do you see my hands I draw online. Yeah, all decks draw bad but stage 2's more so.

I don't give a shit if you call me a scrub or noob, because it's inaccurate for one. And like I said before, when the opponent is preventing me from getting set up AND i'm having difficulty in establishing anything, yeah, I'm probably going to lose. I find that I struggle with Stage 2 decks because I had this issue with Bulu as well but I win a lot with Garb variants, Volcanion, etc. Seems that stage 2's are really clunky and are more inconsistent.

And lol at you saying I shouldn't expect other decks to do well for me. (If that's what you implied with that last line.) I bet I could do better with Golisopod at a League Cup than I did with Garde (2-3) because I just do better with the deck in testing and it fits my style more.

I very nearly went 3-2 at my first League Cup but my losses were because I struggled to set up. I just could not find cards to establish a solid setup. How is that on me? Any player would have lost in the situations I was in. To say otherwise is ignorant considering you didn't see the hands or weren't there, nor do you see my hands I draw online. Yeah, all decks draw bad but stage 2's more so.
First of all, let's keep the language at a PG level. This is Pokemon after all XD

If you don't like stage-2 decks then switch to bulky basics. You complaining isn't going to change anything. I really don't see what the point is in any of this. If your opponent is keeping you from stabilising, that's you getting beaten fair and square. Go ahead and blame it on the deck, but you will struggle to advance as a player when you can't critique yourself. Finally, you say that you're using the same list that top 8s tournaments. Change the lists then. Only scrubs and netdeckers stay faithful to lists online. Switch it up to your liking. Add another Brigette, or an extra draw card, or cut down on techs. Make the changes you want to see. Cutting creativity and personality out of your decks will only make them a chore to play.

I do have to agree with @Seastrome to some extent, because sometimes it is just the luck of what you draw, what your opponent draws and the player you draw against (deck you play against). At one time I was on a 14 game winning streak with Greninja. Then just whiffed on draws, or played vs grass deck, or prized 3 ninja breaks and lost 7 in a row. That was just a stretch of bad luck.

Having played against Gardevoir online I think Sylveon-gx is a great way to get set up. Not sure if decklists but fairy energy onto eevee gets your sylveon and then you could pick your 3 cards to draw.

I do have to agree with @Seastrome to some extent, because sometimes it is just the luck of what you draw, what your opponent draws and the player you draw against (deck you play against). At one time I was on a 14 game winning streak with Greninja. Then just whiffed on draws, or played vs grass deck, or prized 3 ninja breaks and lost 7 in a row. That was just a stretch of bad luck.

Having played against Gardevoir online I think Sylveon-gx is a great way to get set up. Not sure if decklists but fairy energy onto eevee gets your sylveon and then you could pick your 3 cards to draw.
Luck is very much part of the game itself. I believe trading card games are a mix of chess and poker, balancing strategy and wit with luck and mind games. But either way, complaining is going to do nothing. Switch decks, or as Bear Grylls would say...
8d0c04b606c49546.jpg

Well, first of all no deck is hard or easy to play. The problem you are facing is that you just can't play it the right way. I've been playing Garde since it came out and I haven't run into any problems. The only problem I currently have that even involves Garde is that you won't give us your decklist so I can't possibly help you. But even before then, all I can say is that the only reason you aren't getting Gardes out is because of you, yourself, and your mindset. Sometimes you just won't be able to play a deck, for example I misplay like hell when I play Night March, that doesn't mean it's hard to play or it's a bad deck, it just means I personally don't know the deck's style, the deck's core, or the deck's cards very well, but on the flip side I can play Garde and Lapras and have great success with them, I've never played a game where I couldn't get Garde out by turn 3, and if you can't, your deck is never final, and there is always room for improvement

1. Keep practicng: Most generic answer I know, but it's going to be the most helpful, simply put just practicing will help you predict your opponent's, know what cards to play, and how to deal with bad hands. Most likely you'll do better than a tier two or three deck that you have practiced with actively than a tier one deck you haven't practiced with. I have close too 200 games on with my Volcanion-EX deck. I know Gardevoir-GX and Garbodor decks are objectively are better decks, but I'll do better with Volcanion-EX because I've practiced and used the deck more, so just practice with the deck.

2. Think about you're previous games and see ways you could have improved: More often than not this will be mistakes you made, simply seeing those and accepting these will help you from making those same mistakes in the future. There's not much to this as it's really simple, but I'm suprised more people don't do this. What I do is while I'm in a match-up and I make a mistake I write down in a journal what that mistkae was and what I could have done diffrently, than after like ten games I look back at that journal and read it, it helps me improve, but that specific method might not help you.

3. Change the decklist to help your playstyle: Even though those decks have proven results, they might not work for you and you're play-styles, if you're having a tough time getting Gardevoir-GX out, it might be wise for you to add some more Diancies, Kirlia, and Rare Candys. Don't copy the best card for card, don't be afraid to make changes, it's your list, have fun with it.

4. Have a friend to help you: Personally I work on my lists with a guy who won Nationals a couple of years ago, but I understand most people don't have help of that caliber, but anyone who knows how to play the game semi-well can be helpul, bounce the list off each other and make changes based on what you find, then test with that list and repeat, doing this will help you perfect you're list, plus it makes the game more fun and more social.

5. Accept part of it might be you: This is going to be the hardest thing for most people to accept, but the issue might be you, the person who ran that list at Regionals probably put hours of testing and perfecting that list, but you most likely haven't put that much time into the deck, and there is a lot of RNG and luck in Pokemon, it wasn't just how good the list was, but that does help a lot. If we're willing to accept we might be the issue, this will help you improve.

I surely hope this helps you on your journey to mastering Gardevoir, best of wishes @Seastrome!

1. Keep practicng: Most generic answer I know, but it's going to be the most helpful, simply put just practicing will help you predict your opponent's, know what cards to play, and how to deal with bad hands. Most likely you'll do better than a tier two or three deck that you have practiced with actively than a tier one deck you haven't practiced with. I have close too 200 games on with my Volcanion-EX deck. I know Gardevoir-GX and Garbodor decks are objectively are better decks, but I'll do better with Volcanion-EX because I've practiced and used the deck more, so just practice with the deck.

2. Think about you're previous games and see ways you could have improved: More often than not this will be mistakes you made, simply seeing those and accepting these will help you from making those same mistakes in the future. There's not much to this as it's really simple, but I'm suprised more people don't do this. What I do is while I'm in a match-up and I make a mistake I write down in a journal what that mistkae was and what I could have done diffrently, than after like ten games I look back at that journal and read it, it helps me improve, but that specific method might not help you.

3. Change the decklist to help your playstyle: Even though those decks have proven results, they might not work for you and you're play-styles, if you're having a tough time getting Gardevoir-GX out, it might be wise for you to add some more Diancies, Kirlia, and Rare Candys. Don't copy the best card for card, don't be afraid to make changes, it's your list, have fun with it.

4. Have a friend to help you: Personally I work on my lists with a guy who won Nationals a couple of years ago, but I understand most people don't have help of that caliber, but anyone who knows how to play the game semi-well can be helpul, bounce the list off each other and make changes based on what you find, then test with that list and repeat, doing this will help you perfect you're list, plus it makes the game more fun and more social.

5. Accept part of it might be you: This is going to be the hardest thing for most people to accept, but the issue might be you, the person who ran that list at Regionals probably put hours of testing and perfecting that list, but you most likely haven't put that much time into the deck, and there is a lot of RNG and luck in Pokemon, it wasn't just how good the list was, but that does help a lot. If we're willing to accept we might be the issue, this will help you improve.

I surely hope this helps you on your journey to mastering Gardevoir, best of wishes @Seastrome!

I seem to be winning with the deck as of late and I didn't change too much. I added Float Stones mainly, which is big since retreating can be a pain, and I play 1 Diancie/1 Alolan Vulpix. Sometimes, it's difficult when I'm going first vs second as to whether to use Vulpix or Diancie in the active spot, especially if the opponent can easily take something out via Guzma or N me. The 2-3 finish at the League Cup is still a tough pill to swallow because I didn't really play too bad in the tournament. 2 of my losses were just "what can you do?" kinda hands. The Brigette play with no supporter afterwards was probably a bad play vs a turn 1 Kiawe Ho-Oh, but if I Sycamore or N, I risk it all on draws. Tough call but I chose bench and by the time I got out a Gardevoir, it was too late.

I seem to be winning with the deck as of late and I didn't change too much. I added Float Stones mainly, which is big since retreating can be a pain, and I play 1 Diancie/1 Alolan Vulpix. Sometimes, it's difficult when I'm going first vs second as to whether to use Vulpix or Diancie in the active spot, especially if the opponent can easily take something out via Guzma or N me. The 2-3 finish at the League Cup is still a tough pill to swallow because I didn't really play too bad in the tournament. 2 of my losses were just "what can you do?" kinda hands. The Brigette play with no supporter afterwards was probably a bad play vs a turn 1 Kiawe Ho-Oh, but if I Sycamore or N, I risk it all on draws. Tough call but I chose bench and by the time I got out a Gardevoir, it was too late.
Yeah, most decks in standard seem to be at a point where they either draw really well or they brick miserably, unfortunately there's isn't much you can do other than adding more cards that can help you out in situations like that. Although I bekieve my other points will still help you out.

Even the best decks brick sometimes. Luck is certainly a factor, but a well-built deck and an experienced player can minimize the luck factor. I think PineDog gave the best advice. I sometimes do the same thing where I'll copy and paste a proven deck list and then get frustrated when I don't get the same results, but PineDog is right, I haven't put in the same amount of time and play testing that the person who built it did and that makes a huge difference.

I'm always tweaking my decks. If I notice I'm having trouble with maneuverability I'll look at adding more switching cards, if I'm having trouble drawing into energy I'll try to fit more in. It's a balancing act.

if you are having trouble with the deck you should watch a skilled player play on livestream or at leauge (eg deriums Pokemon) and copy their list, that is the way a relitive pokemon noob like me was able to reptitivly get 2nd place at a 30 person leauge

I find that there are some decks I can play well and some decks I can't play well. And practice doesn't have a lot to do with it. I have the hardest time playing fairy decks. I've put together a number of them and it never seems successful. However, Darkness decks seem easier.

I've also tried (in the past) Trevenants, Mega Rayquazza, Lapras, Decidueye and a number of other unsuccessfully.

Zoroark, Darkrai EX, Golisopod, Volcanion are much easier for me to play.

Sometimes you just gotta keep trying different archetypes until you find the one (or more) that fits you.

The win condition of most decks against Gardevoir is to kill the ralts and kirlias. Once gardevoir is set up properly, it just wins usually (unless you are against metal).
I lost a game recently where I started Ralts brigette for 3 more ralts, then lost 3 ralts before I could even evolve. Not surprisingly, I lost. So bad luck happens, especially with stage 2 decks.
It helps a lot to play Sylveon-GX as you can brigette for eevee, attach fairy to evolve, then search for those rare candy and stuff you need. So if you are having trouble setting up, it may be worthwhile to play 1-1 or even 2-2 Sylveon.

Back