• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard post rotation metagross gx

megablastoise101

Aspiring Trainer
this is my version of a metagross gx deck.
p.s. tell me if i should add bridgette

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 19

* 4 Beldum GRI 83
* 3 Metang GRI 84
* 4 Metagross-GX GRI 85
* 2 Solgaleo-GX SUM 89
* 1 Magearna-EX STS 75
* 2 Cosmog SUM 64
* 1 Cosmoem SUM 65
* 1 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
* 1 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21

##Trainer Cards - 29

* 3 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 4 N DEX 96
* 4 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 2 Acerola BUS 112
* 2 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 2 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 4 Choice Band GRI 121
* 2 Professor Kukui SUM 128
* 3 Altar of the Sunne GRI 118
* 1 plumeria BUS 120

##Energy - 12

* 12 Metal Energy Energy 8

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Having the Solgaleo makes it seem very clunky. You probably just want to use Metagrosses ability to power Metagross up to attack. I would use Necrozma GX instead or straight Metagross. Another Tapu Lele and a Bridgette could help consistency as well. Also, Altar of the Sunny isn't that good because it can just be replaced or Field Blowered away, making it useless. Replace them with more Sycamore and Ultra Ball.

Having the Solgaleo makes it seem very clunky. You probably just want to use Metagrosses ability to power Metagross up to attack. I would use Necrozma GX instead or straight Metagross. Another Tapu Lele and a Bridgette could help consistency as well. Also, Altar of the Sunny isn't that good because it can just be replaced or Field Blowered away, making it useless. Replace them with more Sycamore and Ultra Ball.
what should i do about the retreat though

I think dropping the Solgaleo line will make your list more streamlined. Magearna is an interesting card because it helps with the Greninja matchup. I've dabbled with a 1-of Necrozma GX which is great late game with psychic energies in the discard.

##Pokémon - 19

* 4 Beldum GRI 83
* 3 Metang GRI 84
* 4 Metagross-GX GRI 85
* 2 Solgaleo-GX SUM 89
* 1 Magearna-EX STS 75
* 2 Cosmog SUM 64
* 1 Cosmoem SUM 65
* 1 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
* 1 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21

##Trainer Cards - 29

* 4 N DEX 96
* 4 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 2 Acerola BUS 112
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 2 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 4 Choice Band GRI 121
* 1 plumeria BUS 120

##Energy - 12

Total Cards - 60

If you want my opinion here's what I would do:

-2 Cosmog
-1 Cosmoem
-2 SolgaleoGX
-1 Plumeria
-3 Altar of the Sunne
-2 Rescue Stretcher
-1 Professor Kukui
-2 Acerola
-2 Metal Energy

+2 Tapu LeleGX
+2 Ultra Ball
+2 Professor Sycamore
+1 Field Blower
+3 Max Potion
+1 Skyla
+3 Guzma
+1 Pyschic Energy
+1 Brigette

With no VS Seeker I would play at least 3 Lele's, in case you start with one, having another two to search out supporters is a must. Ultra Ball is great for getting metal energies in the discard, as is 4 Sycamores. I play 3 field blowers for the Garbotoxin matchup. The biggest addition is 3 Max Potions for your 3 altars. Manually retreat into a fresh metagross and then max potion the damaged bench metagross. Utilize his 250HP and make opponents waste a turn with attacking. Also, Guzma can really help you if you're stuck in the active with less energ/stall an opponent while you set up. Skyla is awesome if you Lele into it to grab rare candy, max potion or field blower, another reason to run 3 Lele's.
Also, RUN BRIGETTE, she is great to set up beldum and vulpix on turn one.
Also, if you run 1 psychic energy you gain access to Lele's GX attack to heal.

If you run Necrozma make sure you run at least 4-5 psychic energies.

My question is with Acerola, have you been using it a lot? I've never used it in my list. I prefer max potion to it

Good luck!

I think dropping the Solgaleo line will make your list more streamlined. Magearna is an interesting card because it helps with the Greninja matchup. I've dabbled with a 1-of Necrozma GX which is great late game with psychic energies in the discard.

##Pokémon - 19

* 4 Beldum GRI 83
* 3 Metang GRI 84
* 4 Metagross-GX GRI 85
* 2 Solgaleo-GX SUM 89
* 1 Magearna-EX STS 75
* 2 Cosmog SUM 64
* 1 Cosmoem SUM 65
* 1 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
* 1 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21

##Trainer Cards - 29

* 4 N DEX 96
* 4 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 2 Acerola BUS 112
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 2 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 4 Choice Band GRI 121
* 1 plumeria BUS 120

##Energy - 12

Total Cards - 60

-2 Cosmog
-1 Cosmoem
-2 SolgaleoGX
-1 Plumeria
-3 Altar of the Sunne
-2 Rescue Stretcher
-1 Professor Kukui
-2 Acerola
-2 Metal Energy

+2 Tapu LeleGX
+2 Ultra Ball
+2 Professor Sycamore
+1 Field Blower
+3 Max Potion
+1 Skyla
+3 Guzma
+1 Pyschic Energy
+1 Brigette

With no VS Seeker I would play at least 3 Lele's, in case you start with one, having another two to search out supporters is a must. Ultra Ball is great for getting metal energies in the discard, as is 4 Sycamores. I play 3 field blowers for the Garbotoxin matchup. The biggest addition is 3 Max Potions for your 3 altars. Manually retreat into a fresh metagross and then max potion the damaged bench metagross. Utilize his 250HP and make opponents waste a turn with attacking. Also, Guzma can really help you if you're stuck in the active with less energ/stall an opponent while you set up. Skyla is awesome if you Lele into it to grab rare candy, max potion or field blower, another reason to run 3 Lele's.

My question is with Acerola, have you been using it a lot? I've never used it in my list. I prefer max potion to it

Good luck!
i think i will only run 2 tapu lele because im 14 and i dont have that type of money but i might take your word for guzma because ive thinking about it.
also ive changed the list up if you want to see it

##Pokémon - 19

* 4 Beldum GRI 83
* 3 Metang GRI 84
* 4 Metagross-GX GRI 85
* 2 Solgaleo-GX SUM 89
* 1 Magearna-EX STS 75
* 2 Cosmog SUM 64
* 1 Cosmoem SUM 65
* 1 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
* 1 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21

##Trainer Cards - 29

* 4 N DEX 96
* 4 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 2 Acerola BUS 112
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 2 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 4 Choice Band GRI 121
* 1 plumeria BUS 120

##Energy - 12

Total Cards - 60

-2 Cosmog
-1 Cosmoem
-2 SolgaleoGX
-1 Plumeria
-3 Altar of the Sunne
-2 Rescue Stretcher
-1 Professor Kukui
-2 Acerola
-2 Metal Energy

+2 Tapu LeleGX
+2 Ultra Ball
+2 Professor Sycamore
+1 Field Blower
+3 Max Potion
+1 Skyla
+3 Guzma
+1 Pyschic Energy
+1 Brigette

Good luck!
and everyone who says i should drop altar of the sunne its in there for volcanion decks

and everyone who says i should drop altar of the sunne its in there for volcanion decks
Field Blower says hi (stadiums with passive effects like Altar of the Sunne are less reliable with Field Blower running around). That, and Volcanion decks can easily bump Altar of the Sunne away with Scorched Earth or Brooklet Hill.

Field Blower says hi (stadiums with passive effects like Altar of the Sunne are less reliable with Field Blower running around). That, and Volcanion decks can easily bump Altar of the Sunne away with Scorched Earth or Brooklet Hill.
then what do i do to eliminate the volcanion deck threats

The Volcanion matchup is not quite as bad as everyone thinks for Metagross. Sure, Largecanion gets an OHKO on Metagross but as can a Choice Banded Giga Hammer. All it needs is one whiffed Max Elixir from the Volcanion player and all of a sudden you have turned the match heavily in your favour.

then what do i do to eliminate the volcanion deck threats

You accept the fact that every deck has one heavily disfavored matchup.

jofferyspikes is right in that the matchup isn't a completely unwinnable affair, but it requires you to hope their deck janks out, if both decks run well Volcanion will win every time. Same with Metagross vs Garde, Garde will win that matchup maybe 10-15% of the time just because your deck sputters and theirs fires on 6 cylinders that match.

Anyways, I'd recommend going down to 10 metal, you just need enough to get 3 in discard typically, don't need to run elixir tier consistency. Every metagross deck should run 3-4 Guzma, you need a way to consistently switch if garbotoxin comes online and you can't field blower it immediately. I also run a Tapu Koko in my metagross deck partially for this (guzma to your free retreat then retreat to metagross without having to depend on geotech being online to attack again), also partially to spread damage against decks where 200 is the magic number like Espeon.

I think running less than 4 Sycamore 4 N is also a mistake without VS seekers. 2 Vulpix is much more consistent than 1. A lot of your tech cards like Acerola and altar of the sunne are filling space that should be occupied by consistency cards. The number one issue with metagross, and most stage 2 decks, is consistency so you should build to address that as much as you can. I also recommend 1 Skyla and 1 Heavy Ball as ways to complete your rare candy combo in the early game.

Just because you're 14 doesn't mean you can't get good cards. I'm 15, and I play max rarity and own 4 of the Rainbow Rare Tapu Lele GX. Necrozma GX is a big basic attacker that can heavily damage to OHKO Volcanion, and because you already play Vulpix, Alolan Ninetales GX is easily techable for that matchup, as well as just being a super handy card. Solgaleo is a bad card to combo with Metagross just because of how much it clunks the deck. And 4 Sycamore/ Ultra Ball is super important for not losing within the first 4 turns because you dead draw for days. If you want my list, comment on the thread and I'll post it. Here's some advice for getting expensive cards.

A: Rip kids off: Don't feel bad because you rip kids off. If they're not playing serious, then you need that card more than them. And if they don't know how much that card is worth, then they DEFINITELY don't need that card. Look at it this way: if you don't get it from them, someone else will, or they'll trade it to another kid and it will probably end up in worse condition.

B: Save your money: Instead of buying packs or other crap, just save the money you would spend, and eventually buy these kinds of cards. Also save your code cards for TCGO and/ or trade for them and most card stores will buy them.

C: Make money: Here's something I did last school year ( assuming you're not home schooled ), I went to the dollar store, bought boxes of (6) honey buns, sodas, and other pastries and/ or snacks, then sold them at school for a dollar a piece. Even though this is for some reason, illegal, it's a dumb law so just don't get caught. It's not like it's a felony offense, it's more like a "don't do it again" thing. At worst, you'll be punished in-school with like, in-school-suspension or something.

Just because you're 14 doesn't mean you can't get good cards. I'm 15, and I play max rarity and own 4 of the Rainbow Rare Tapu Lele GX. Necrozma GX is a big basic attacker that can heavily damage to OHKO Volcanion, and because you already play Vulpix, Alolan Ninetales GX is easily techable for that matchup, as well as just being a super handy card. Solgaleo is a bad card to combo with Metagross just because of how much it clunks the deck. And 4 Sycamore/ Ultra Ball is super important for not losing within the first 4 turns because you dead draw for days. If you want my list, comment on the thread and I'll post it. Here's some advice for getting expensive cards.

A: Rip kids off: Don't feel bad because you rip kids off. If they're not playing serious, then you need that card more than them. And if they don't know how much that card is worth, then they DEFINITELY don't need that card. Look at it this way: if you don't get it from them, someone else will, or they'll trade it to another kid and it will probably end up in worse condition.

B: Save your money: Instead of buying packs or other crap, just save the money you would spend, and eventually buy these kinds of cards. Also save your code cards for TCGO and/ or trade for them and most card stores will buy them.

C: Make money: Here's something I did last school year ( assuming you're not home schooled ), I went to the dollar store, bought boxes of (6) honey buns, sodas, and other pastries and/ or snacks, then sold them at school for a dollar a piece. Even though this is for some reason, illegal, it's a dumb law so just don't get caught. It's not like it's a felony offense, it's more like a "don't do it again" thing. At worst, you'll be punished in-school with like, in-school-suspension or something.

yeah id love to see the list but i am already removing the solgaleo gx

Gumball is exactly right. I am only 13 and about a year ago, I realised that my younger brother's 7 year old friend collected Pokémerch as well: he collects them just for the pretty pictures etc,. He has an enormous binder of cards and I haggled the entire Vileplume Fighting deck (Zygarde-EX, Carbink BREAK, Lucario-EX, Vileplume) off him for a completely nominal fee. Seriously, I had to buy like 1 AZ off eBay and that was it, the whole thing came from this one, rich kid's collection. It was the most fun deck I have ever played (RIP Forest of Giant Plants) and it cost 10 British pounds.

So, my advice, find a kid in your neighbourhood that is clueless about value, and make like Guardians Rising Bewear and rake it in. There is bound to be one.

Here's my "gross" list

Pokemon:18
  • 4 Beldum
  • 3 Metang
  • 4 Metagross GX
  • 2 A. Vulpix
  • 1 A. Ninetales
  • 3 Tapu Lele GX
  • 1 Necrozma GX

Trainers:31
  • 4 Sycamore
  • 4 N
  • 3 Guzma
  • 1 Brigette
  • 1 Acerola
  • 4 Choice Band
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Rare Candy
  • 2 Field Blower
  • 1 Rescue Stretcher
  • 3 Max Potion
  • 1 Switch
Energy:11
  • 8 Metal
  • 3 Psychic

I'll admit that this isn't tested much, but it seems like a better standpoint than you're at right now.

Back