News Kartana GX and Regice from SM4 Revealed!

Amazing art. Great ability. Fantastic low energy late game GX move. Kartana GX ticks all the boxes for me!

Well looks like our regis are coming together.

You need 2 steel energy on registeel to use its second attack, but you only need 1 water energy on regice here, so that seems like a manageable split of water/steel energy. Now it just comes down to regirock's attack type.

I can't see the regi deck being amazing, but it looks like it'll have enough of an edge to really fudge with people.

Kartana is a tech card. It's a horrible card to build a deck around, but you're not really supposed to going by the ability and the effect of its attack.

Will probably be good in whatever ultra beast archetype we end up with.

Kartana's interesting though I wish it's GX attack did a ton of damage so you could take 2 prizes but, it's a nice Gardy counter. I could also see many decks teching him in for energy denial, that said though E-hammer is a better version of the ability, as it doesn't waste a bench slot. The second attack can be used to deny prizes. I like it :cool: 3/5

Regice has a nice ability, however I don't see many decks running it and Regirock in the same deck 1/5

Anyone else expecting Celesteela GX to be Colorless? This way all the Ultra Beast GXes would be their own types, assuming Pheromosa is Grass.

That was my first thought when they started revealing these dudes. They can't make all the UB's the same type, so may as well go wide and cover as many types as possible.

Although, making celesteela colorless means they would likely have to tone down its power level, since it would be so easy to tech in everything.

But considering the power level of kartana, they wouldn't have to do too much toning.

Kartana looks pretty good and the MCC cost means you can potentially recycle it in any deck that plays rainbow energy (ie any drampa deck post rotation).

The abundance of special energy in most of the top decks right now bodes well for this card.

I still have little faith in the regi deck they're using forced synergy to build. You basically have to play Kiawe to make Regigigas fast enough and need a ton of pieces together to start attacking. But the 160 damage and stadium discard is a pretty good attack and all of them have a heavy ball territory retreat cost. It could definitely be a fun casual deck but I don't see it working that well outside of that.

Kartana in a kind of hit-and-run deck could be interesting. The GX attack is awesome and is probably one of the best GX attacks so far on a Basic. The Ability is a nice little bonus too. However, 70 damage for three energy is painfully bad, and 170HP means it's easily oneshotted. If the GX attack was one Colorless I'd be sliding it in alot of decks, but...it's not.

If Regice hadn't need Regirock in play then it would be good.

Kartana seems like a very very good card. It will easily beat gardevoir-GX, and though it may have a tough Volc matchup, I still think it will be very good. That GX attack is also going to be amazing,

They are both good, I am going to put Kartana GX in with Metagross, its too good not to. Hit with GigaHammer and next turn you cant attack drop Kartana retreat Metagross + Max Potion, put the energies on Kartana hit and run, full hp Metaross takes its place. Although none of the energies get discarded so this wont happen often. Both cards are good techs against Garde.

They are both good, I am going to put Kartana GX in with Metagross, its too good not to. Hit with GigaHammer and next turn you cant attack drop Kartana retreat Metagross + Max Potion, put the energies on Kartana hit and run, full hp Metaross takes its place. Although none of the energies get discarded so this wont happen often. Both cards are good techs against Garde.

You can't do that unless you already have 2 or 3 metagross out. If you already have 2 or 3 metagross out, why would you attach to kartana, hit for 70, and lose discard pile access to 3 energies when you could, instead, send out a metagross, attack for 150, still have the energies, and still have a 250HP metagross in the active?

The problem I see with this is that Metagross likes having its energy in the discard to use Geotech System with. Kartana's attack ruins the point of that.

One can forget about making a Regi deck now with that 180hp Regigigas. It would have been nice if the small regis could feed energy to the giant regigigas for it's big attack but it won't happen.

Kartana-GX could be a nice tech for M Gardevoir since Despair Ray clears the bench.

One can forget about making a Regi deck now with that 180hp Regigigas. It would have been nice if the small regis could feed energy to the giant regigigas for it's big attack but it won't happen.
If only Regigigas had an ability like this:

Regi Power - If Regirock, Regice, and Registeel are in play, ignore all energy in the attack cost of this Pokemon's attacks.

Kartana GX: Nice ability and Blade GX is an excellent turn one attack. In Metagross GX it allows the deck to run Hala as the third draw supporter and make use of it.

Regice: On its own the card is bad but Pokémon wants us to run this card in Regal Allies. Combined with the other three Regi cards and Silvally GX this can be a decent deck since most attackers will be one-prize attackers.

Between Registeel, Silvally GX and Max Elixir there is sufficient energy acceleration in this deck. Also factor in Double Colorless Energy as a means to fuel Silvally GX and later on Regigigas and the fact that the deck has a lot of one-prize attackers.

You can't do that unless you already have 2 or 3 metagross out. If you already have 2 or 3 metagross out, why would you attach to kartana, hit for 70, and lose discard pile access to 3 energies when you could, instead, send out a metagross, attack for 150, still have the energies, and still have a 250HP metagross in the active?

yes you need out 2 or 3 metagross, but Ive played games where I lost a metagross and got stuck, maybe Kartana will provide an option for not having all the pieces you need. Plus Kartana has three things going for it 1. its ability is really good if your not fighting against someone who doesn't play specials since metagross cant always OHKO, this provides a stall, 2. hit and run, sometimes when ive played metagross I couldn't find that energy in my deck to attach to get the three I need. Kartana can put them back without use of energy retrieval. 3. its GX is really good, don't need a KO just take a prize and sometimes Algorithm is a let down when your opponent has N.

Well. Im focusing on Kartana for now, but both of these cards counter Gardevoir. Regice with the ability, and then Kartana in my opinion is an all around Gardevoir slayer. Here's why:
1: Ability takes 40 damage off of Gardy's attack by discarding DCE
2: MCC for 140, applying weakness. 2HKO.
I really like Kartana because of its GX attack. It really helps, and because it's a Basic for just (M), its much better than Walk Off Homer Slowbro. Kartana GX will definitely see play.
Now what is your favorite, between the GX's revealed?
I personally can't decide.

Back