Help Lost to some grass deck using the new Vileplume. Could not beat it.

StevenM

Aspiring Trainer
i was using Volcanion and the guy just sat on Vileplume and kept attacking with it and won. How do I counter this? It's essentially an auto loss as I have no answers for it.

Last edited:
Besides shutting down abilities, which is not ideal, there is no way for Volcanion to knock it out. You have two options to shut down Vileplume's ability, Garbotoxin and Hex Maniac. Hex is rotating out of Standard and you would never run Garbotoxin Garbodor in a Volcanion deck because you need access to Steam Up. You're only hope is to hope your opponent plays Pokèmon on the bench and you can Guzma around it.

Besides shutting down abilities, which is not ideal, there is no way for Volcanion to knock it out. You have two options to shut down Vileplume's ability, Garbotoxin and Hex Maniac. Hex is rotating out of Standard and you would never run Garbotoxin Garbodor in a Volcanion deck because you need access to Steam Up. You're only hope is to hope your opponent plays Pokèmon on the bench and you can Guzma around it.

But I mean, honestly, should I even be worried about that Vileplume? Nobody is actually going to play that. The opponent was smart not to bench anything but it's not a fun way to play the game.

I don't think you need to be too worried about seeing it competitively, but you asked how to counter it. The new Alolan Ninetales is a similar concept. If you put it out against an all EX/GX deck, there's no way around it if you're not playing anything to stop abilities.

So what we're seeing is that we need to balance our decks. You're going to have to find a Stage 1 or 2 Pokemon to tech into the deck. I know this is way out in left field - it's just occurring to me right now - maybe Zoroark?

Without forest vileplume will essential stop being used if Is used it's likely that you will be able to Guzma around it or keep them from getting out said vileplume. It's ability is good but its future in the coming standard is not likely bright

Could be one of the prime reasons to run Salazzle GX. I don't think the Vileplume and grass decks will be a really popular part of the meta but if they are where you are settled lolcally running a 2-2 is never a totally bad idea.

Other awnsers could be in the form of running whole Stage 2 lines, however this thakes up a considerable ammount of deck space and will indeed make the deck slower in general. It will also often lead to Volcanion EX not always being able to shine as much.

As someone who's still tinkering with the deck daily I can recommend Salazzle GX, it's quick and would punish this type of strategy all day long, unless you end up in that really strange situation where the 2-2 line is prized.

I don't think you need to be too worried about seeing it competitively, but you asked how to counter it. The new Alolan Ninetales is a similar concept. If you put it out against an all EX/GX deck, there's no way around it if you're not playing anything to stop abilities.

I agree with you. The Alolan Ninetales however is much less hard to play around if you continue to run regular Volcanion however. Which is something I still like to do a lot. Not only for the simple way to open but because it's actually a really good wall that can set up your bench while you have spend energies for Volcanion EX's boost.
In general the synergy between the regular Volcanion and EX in my opinion is too big to not always play them together in this deck. Turt GX, Ho-Oh GX and others are nice but regular Volcanion is still really good.

Could be one of the prime reasons to run Salazzle GX.

Beat me to it. Salazzle GX can overcome this, and in general is not a bad late-game sweeper. I would probably only run a 1-1 or 2-2.

Beat me to it. Salazzle GX can overcome this, and in general is not a bad late-game sweeper. I would probably only run a 1-1 or 2-2.
Yeah I overlooked that. I just wonder if the Kiawe version of the deck is going to be the way to run the deck now.

Yeah I overlooked that. I just wonder if the Kiawe version of the deck is going to be the way to run the deck now.

Do you mean in relation to Volcanion/EX/Turt GX etc? Because in that case the awnser from me would be yes. Kiawe allows for the deck to set up faster as any deck and this is it's biggest advantage. It's also a disadvantage that it runs completely on Basics most of the time but we see that the designers of the game have thaken Kiawe into account based on the many attacks we have and see who check the quantity of Energy on both Pokemon.

What this all leads to is that Volcanion EX/Kiawe based decks have a lot of convertability, with this I mean that there is not 1 build to rule them all really. The builds are or should be largely adapted to what you expect to face in your local meta. If your meta includes Vileplume don't feel bad to run 1-1/2-2 Shalazzle GX. As above though there are more options but Shalazzle GX is likely the easiest to include.

Cheers,

This is brilliant. I have been looking for something I can put in a Mega Scizor EX deck to make it not auto-lose to Volcanion, and this could take it from an auto-loss to an auto-win! Just need to set it up before Guzma KOs Oddish/Gloom. Anyway, thank you for highlighting this obvious thing I should have caught earlier.

As for your problem, you could also try and play the non-GX Salazzle, because it still gets the KO and its ability can still be useful even when not facing this strategy.

Add in a [W] energy and attack with Starmie? BAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!!!!

Another interesting idea to counter this silly Vileplume is to play just one Salazzle GX and Ho-oh GX to GX attack him out of the discard pile. You are probably running Ho-oh GX anyway, and this way you only need to tech one card to deal with this super rogue strategy. Or you could be fun and go with Charizard GX, Mega Charizard EX, or even Mega Houndoom EX. Honestly it would be hilarious when you did this and got any of these last three on the bench just to see your opponent's face.

Back