Ruling Clarification on Attack's Effects (Metagross GX, Lapras GX)

Dave Sontag

Aspiring Trainer
The Metagross GX attack Giga Hammer states "This Pokemon can't use Giga Hammer during your next turn". If after I use the attack, on my next turn, I move it to my bench, and then move it back to the active position, can I use Giga Hammer again? In the PTCGO it allows me to switch the Metagross GX to the bench and switch the same one back to active and use Giga Hammer again. I have the same issue with Lapras GX attack Blizzard Burn. Will switching the same Lapras GX to the bench and then back to active allow me to attack?

I didn't think the text from attacks were "Special Conditions", but were effects to follow after the attack. Is there some clarification in the rules that classify the attack text as Special Conditions? I understood that Special Conditions were: Poison, Burned, Asleep, Paralyzed, Confused.

Special Conditions are not "effects." They are game mechanics, and functionally separate. Like attack effects however, they are removed if a Pokemon goes to the Bench. An effect of an attack is any damage it does as well as its attack text. One thing that leads to a lot of confusion is the act of placing a Special Condition (i.e. "Your opponent's Active Pokemon is now Poisoned") is an attack effect, but the Special Condition itself, once inflicted is not.

Back