News Japan's SM3 Sets for the 20th Movie Feature Ho-Oh and Necrozma!

Art is fantastic, seeing a dragon type zygarde is cool (Dark fairy is pretty cleverhonestly, I was expecting grass fighting based on color but hey)....But...

This card sucks.

I wonder when we'll get a new version of N or Sycamore. But Let's be real, everybody want a Gladion card

Pokemon doesn't care about Zygarde confirmed. RIP Pokemon Z

Last edited by a moderator:
After seeing Guzma, they will make an item card called BS Seeker that lets you put a supporter from your discard pile into your hand.

Ah I don't care if the card effect is really bad, the art is so cool. Since the start of SM this is the 3rd Zygarde cards and all of them look totally on-point, I just love it. Though I was expecting the energy requirement for a Dragon-type Zygarde to be Grass & Fighting, with Grass being a reference to how it makes vines in the anime, but I guess the nod to Xerneas and Yveltal is cool too, since it seems often forgotten that it's related to those two.

I'm curious about this whole "dragon type being unplayable". There has never been more than two Pokemon or so used in a type. I mean, the only Colorless type Pokemon used in recent years has been Mega Ray and Shaymin EX, and they are from the same set with Drampa-GX being used slightly. Tauros-GX too did a thing but that is four Pokemon out of them all I can recall. Dragon type Pokemon have been used just as much with things like Rayquaza-EX and the ex one being used without having a DDE like card. I don't ever recall this being a issue for dragons. They have more usage than the Colorlesss type. I think the only fire deck is Volcanion-EX so the fire type in terms of playability is more unplayable than Dragon, despite all the support.

The most playable and dominate types have been Darkness and Psychic, which is interesting because of Psychic being weak to itself. To be honest, the Dragon type has been more playable than all the rest, DDE or not.

To be honest, the Dragon type has been more playable than all the rest, DDE or not.

That partially because of how bad dragon is as a type.

You don't hit anything for weakness and you need two different kinds of energy to attack, and generally you have higher attack costs than other types to fit within the theme of dragons being slow to power up but unstoppable.

Dragons are at such a huge inherent disadvantage that they need pretty ridiculous attacks just to break even, which is why we end up with broken cards like Giratina.

But sometimes they decide that making a pokemon that single-handedly shuts down an entire evolution mechanic isn't very good for the overall health of the game, so they make dragons that are more reasonable, and they generally end up being pretty bad.

Dragons have more good cards, but the cards that aren't straight up good are almost always just kinda bad or lopsided in terms of effort/reward.

But dragon type pokemon are always fighting an uphill battle that other types don't really have to deal with. So PTCI overcompensates for that weakness. But the type itself is still disadvantaged.

That partially because of how bad dragon is as a type.

You don't hit anything for weakness and you need two different kinds of energy to attack, and generally you have higher attack costs than other types to fit within the theme of dragons being slow to power up but unstoppable.

Dragons are at such a huge inherent disadvantage that they need pretty ridiculous attacks just to break even, which is why we end up with broken cards like Giratina.

But sometimes they decide that making a pokemon that single-handedly shuts down an entire evolution mechanic isn't very good for the overall health of the game, so they make dragons that are more reasonable, and they generally end up being pretty bad.

Dragons have more good cards, but the cards that aren't straight up good are almost always just kinda bad or lopsided in terms of effort/reward.

But dragon type pokemon are always fighting an uphill battle that other types don't really have to deal with. So PTCI overcompensates for that weakness. But the type itself is still disadvantaged.

I feel the same way about the Colorless type, except they are balanced around DCE whereas the Dragon type isn't around DDE. The Colorless type trades hitting for weakness for a faster attack with DCE but it was never something that worked out. The only colorless Pokemon I remember being good at all were things like Rayquaza and Lugia and outside of those Pokemon, the entire type has always been useless due to lack of support. Clearly there have been others like Garchomp C but since BW, the entire type has been bad. Even Roaring Skies lacked in Colorless support when compared to the other type theme sets and ended up more support for the Dragon type.

Now imagine if the Colorless type had Energy that provided three or four Energy? Suddenly the whole type because viable and not in a good way. The whole type archetype uses Max Potion and with Special Charge, they don't have to worry about losing them since all they will ever need is this broken Energy card, but this should be fine because they don't hit for Weakness or have absurdly powerful attacks, effects and abilities.

The dragon type is fine as is and the type of energy required makes them more or less balanced. That Zygarde has 150 HP as a Basic and the ability to his 180 damage for a non-EX Pokemon. We don't know how the rest of the set will play out but that Zygarde is still better that every other Basic non-EX I have seen except like two or three Pokemon in Sun and Moon so far.

Dragons require two different types of energy. DDE is a crutch designed to help them actually manage to get the energy they need.

Colorless pokemon are the opposite, where they can use literally any type of basic energy, meaning they can hypothetically be slotted into any deck. DCE also works on non colorless pokemon, meaning they can be slotted into decks that are already using DCE anyways.

Colorless pokemon can fit into anything, while Dragons require specific attention to their own needs in order to actually function.

They aren't the same at all, except for the fact that both of them don't hit anything for weakness.

Zygarde is a basic with 150 hp that can hit 180 at the cost of discarding 2 energy when he does so, and he needs 4 energy to do it. Without DDE, that attack is absolute trash. With DDE, the attack is barely usable.

Even then, Zygarde represents my point, where they gave the best hp stat and "best" attack of any basic non-ex to a dragon type, but he's still probably going to be bad on account of needing two different types of energy.

This would be somewhat useful.. if you didn't have to discard what you're using the Double Dragon Energy for. Might help if you have Gardevoir GX to supply a fairy energy and then play a dark from your hand? I kinda wanna make it work since we finally have a Zygarde that does decent damage but damn.

Dragons require two different types of energy. DDE is a crutch designed to help them actually manage to get the energy they need.

Colorless pokemon are the opposite, where they can use literally any type of basic energy, meaning they can hypothetically be slotted into any deck. DCE also works on non colorless pokemon, meaning they can be slotted into decks that are already using DCE anyways.

Colorless pokemon can fit into anything, while Dragons require specific attention to their own needs in order to actually function.

They aren't the same at all, except for the fact that both of them don't hit anything for weakness.

Zygarde is a basic with 150 hp that can hit 180 at the cost of discarding 2 energy when he does so, and he needs 4 energy to do it. Without DDE, that attack is absolute trash. With DDE, the attack is barely usable.

Even then, Zygarde represents my point, where they gave the best hp stat and "best" attack of any basic non-ex to a dragon type, but he's still probably going to be bad on account of needing two different types of energy.

So basically Charizard, but as an entire type? :p

I remember when attacks like this were used. Will be interesting to see where this card falls into the meta. This and A. Vulpix will be very useful.

Back