News Japan's SM3 Sets for the 20th Movie Feature Ho-Oh and Necrozma!

I've always wanted healing to be competitively viable and this Butterfree looks particularly interesting! I don't expect it to be popular by any means but I definitely want to make a gimmick around it. Shiinotic and Forest of Giant Plants could make this a fun way to quickly heal off chip damage done to your bench and keep a strong hitter going longer.

Yet another non-playable Lepidoptera. Correct me if I'm wrong but Beautifly with miraculous scales ability has been the only playable one to date. The healing move is interesting but not as a 120hp stage 2. Stun spore without the flip would have made the card much more interesting.

Yet another non-playable Lepidoptera. Correct me if I'm wrong but Beautifly with miraculous scales ability has been the only playable one to date. The healing move is interesting but not as a 120hp stage 2. Stun spore without the flip would have made the card much more interesting.
You shuffle all the cards back into your deck anyways, why would the HP on Butterfree matter if it's leaving the field either way? With how many acceleration options we have for grass these days, it's at least a fairly interesting way to support something else with high HP without removing energies from them.

A Butterfree that references the anime? That's a nice nod to such a heart felt episode.

That healing move is interesting. The risk/reward of it being on a stage 2 might just not make it worth the space in your deck for it though. Oh well, at least it has some really nice art.

I am pretty sure that a shiny Mew GX was mentioned in SM4
Shiny Mew? :0

Anyways, will we ever see a Butterfree thats actually decent? The first attack is an interesting gimmick, but obviously not actually playable in the format of OHKOs. The second attack nothing needs to be said about. The nod to the episode is cute though, and I like the art.

Shiny Mew? :0

Anyways, will we ever see a Butterfree thats actually decent? The first attack is an interesting gimmick, but obviously not actually playable in the format of OHKOs. The second attack nothing needs to be said about. The nod to the episode is cute though, and I like the art.

Yeah, (presumably) a shiny Mew-GX is going to be in sm3+.(Hopefully this means we can finally start branching out to Pokemon obtainable from all regions in the sets, I want a new Darmanitan.)

Otherwise...Im really liking the nod to an old episode with this card. It's nice to see simple cards hold some meaning.

Yeah, (presumably) a shiny Mew-GX is going to be in sm3+.(Hopefully this means we can finally start branching out to Pokemon obtainable from all regions in the sets, I want a new Darmanitan.)

Otherwise...Im really liking the nod to an old episode with this card. It's nice to see simple cards hold some meaning.
I didn't even know Shiny Mew was a thing lol. It will probably have another copying Ability that will be fun to mess around with.

Interesting they referenced the anime in a set that' a tie in to the next movie, I wonder if we'll get more cards like this in the set

One thing to keep in mind:
Both Caterpie and Metapod can evolve the turn you play them; this allows ease of evolution, even after rotation~

With that said, I'm still not very hopeful of this cards viability, but I LOVE the overall theme!
Nostalgia, great artwork, and thematic attack~

At least Caterpie and Metapod can evolve first turn. Otherwise this would be completely unusable. Now? I think it might find its way into weird Shiinotic decks.

Is this a prelude to a Butterfree GX? :)

It could be nothing but I think this is the 2nd/3rd new Butterfree we've seen since Sun & Moon dropped and I'd actually like to see that happen. It would be nice to have a new (to me) first gen pokemon get the EX/GX treatment that hasn't before.

it could be interesting, especially as thee is a caterpie and metapod with an ability that is basically forest for itself that will survive rotation. i think what this really needs is a playable high hp butteree gx to partner with it

This is the first anime related card I've seen in the regular sets.
there have been quite a few. though the DIRECT references tend not be so much, there are many like here comes team rocket featuing JJM, meowth with the attack "talk" axew with the attack strong bond that searches for iris and misty ofren being styled like anime mist over game misty. we have also had ash's pokemon and many of the (name)'s pokemon are pokemon they only had in the anime or manga

Depending on your view of competitively viable, I am 189:84 on PTCGO with a Skittles deck that uses Vivillon XY.

Back