News Japan's SM3 Sets for the 20th Movie Feature Ho-Oh and Necrozma!

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
When I finally though we would finally have a season without these BS cards, but no, now we this card, so now I quit. I'm too broke to be able to afford this card when it comes out.

DeDeNNe

Di-Denki Nitro Neon, or De2NNe. Very Lethal
This is actually good! Though I don't like this new trend of trying to bring back pokemon from XY in a different, weakened or empowered version :p

Clamtrak

Aspiring Trainer
I run stall decks. This will be hands down, the toughest to stall against because: Max potion gets locked, no return to your something supporter cards from the early XY era, and 50 damage with no legal rough seas. I'd have to get an alolan ninetales (also from the upcoming set) up and running in the blink of an eye. Although Lunala is pretty tough to stall against, but given the fact that I beat one. Alright Noivern, you cut some work out for me.

Tapu Lele

Inflated and Overstocked
8 or 9/12 revealed. Who do you think the other 3 or 4?
Obviously it's going to be Gardevoir GX
Kirlia is already confirmed for the set, and this set already seems to be a fanservice set, given the Stupid Dumb Flying Dead Lizard GX that's already came out.
Though I'm sure that I'm already everyone's favorite so why does it matter <3

Slurma

Aspiring Trainer
The sylveon weakness could hurt but other than that I'm excited to see the next toad. Hopefully, double dragon gets reprinted.

woahaustin

Prince of SD
YES!!!
Noivern is one of my favorite Pokemon, and at last, he gets a card worthy of his glory! :D
Right ?!?!? A solid noivern card! And free retreat too!

I run stall decks. This will be hands down, the toughest to stall against because: Max potion gets locked, no return to your something supporter cards from the early XY era, and 50 damage with no legal rough seas. I'd have to get an alolan ninetales (also from the upcoming set) up and running in the blink of an eye. Although Lunala is pretty tough to stall against, but given the fact that I beat one. Alright Noivern, you cut some work out for me.
We do get acerola at least to provide splashable work around to the potential noivern lock

Last edited by a moderator:

Starsoulklr

'Rolling around at the speed of sound'
Obviously it's going to be Gardevoir GX
Kirlia is already confirmed for the set, and this set already seems to be a fanservice set, given the Stupid Dumb Flying Dead Lizard GX that's already came out.
Though I'm sure that I'm already everyone's favorite so why does it matter <3
Perhaps it will be Gallade GX instead? Although you are most likely right.

I really like Noivern GX. Yes it's attacks are ones that lock down options but here's then thing: You have to choose what to stop and both effects can be stop by Pokemon Ranger. One of the reasons Quaking Punch was so bad is that you had to hope that after you get rid of the energy that they would miss another DCE. In an interesting twist our new expensive GX that I have quoted is one of the cards that can help you out of this by getting your Ranger.

This will be a very good card but this is not a card I would say doomsday causing.

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Noivern GX is indeed a nice card. Not sure it is that effective in the new format since deck now have other outs to obtain Pokémon and energies. Most deck seem to run either Bridgette or Pokémon Fan Club at the moment to set up. Tapu Lele GX can obtain the tech copy of either of these cards first turn. This makes the lock less effective. I feel that the decks affected the most are disruption and control decks themselves. Beatdown decks can set up without items nicely at the moment. The thing I do like a lot about Noivern GX is that his attacks are rather versatile. You have item lock and special energy lock to slow the opponent down and a decent spread attack. In this sense it is similar to Alolan Ninetales. With the aforementioned cards and a tech Pokémon Ranger the lock is less effective but still works to slow the opponent down a little. You need to invest much more consideration onto which attack to use to beenfit the most from Noivern GX. The only way this card would be broken or troublesome is if the GX attack would switch Noivern GX with one of your benched Pokémon while spreading damage to all of the opponent's benched Pokémon. Great card but it seems to be far from broken.

Tri2attack

"Guzma for game."-every close game
FINALLY MY FAV POKEMON GOT AN ULTRA RARE!!!!!

Sorry about that, anyways this pokemon has a wonderful variety of attacks and stalls. If a person really wants to mess with their opponent they could mix in with the new Araquanid card that pervents basic energy attachments.

Wil Yates

Itzyatzee
I'm sure people will find a way for this too work. I'm surely interested. Perhaps a tech to darktina. Fingers crossed for DDE reprint.

Kyrushi

Squirrel
This looks like a hoot to run with Skull Grunts and Gumshoos GX! Check for the types of cards they have before chosing your attack and block them!

Fayld

Rayquaza / Eelektross Master
Advanced Member
Why does TPCI hate items and Special Energy so much?? Sheesh! Oh well. Still a cool card, but I'm honestly not happy to see that item lock is going to be around another two years.

Honestly, I am glad there will be some form of attack based item lock. Unlike Toad, this requires a S1 meaning you are running at least 6 cards if you want to hit it T2 with any sort of consistency. It also requires either two attachments or a DDE (which, counter to everyone else's opinion, I am 100% convinced will get reprinted or we will get some form of dragon specific acceleration...you can't have two major GX pokemon without the ability to effectively use them). These requirements alone make this card far from splashable (which is the real reason Toad is such a pain) and make it so you have to run something like Wally to ensure the lock going second on T1 (another reason Toad is such a pain).

Then there is the "so I locked your items, now what" part of it. In standard, there is really only one viable option...Decidueye which becomes significantly less viable once FoGP gets rotated. There are no bats. I guess you could go with some kind of messed up Alakazam engine / finisher? Dunno. It seems clunky no matter how you slice it. The other option would be something that plays natively with the darkness energy like Yveltal or Darkrai. I guess you could play with the psychic side of things as well, but I don't think it works as efficiently outside of something like Alakazam. Outside the box thinking, you could maybe make a honchkrow deck, but that makes two fat pokemon lines to get set up with a very squishy "finisher".

Basically, that is a long way of saying that I think this is the correct way to do item lock. I don't like the ability approach because it lends itself to abuse like what we see with Plume decks in standard or (more frustratingly) with Trevenant decks in expanded. Honestly, I like the card. I think it is pretty balanced all around including the GX attack. It isn't splashable. It isn't paired with a beat stick attack. Overall, I think this is a good example of a very playable card.

Anyway, seems like a pretty balanced card. Unlike Toad, you can't just spam this one in someone's face starting on turn 1 of the game, so there is some window to play items and prepare for it.

IF - and that's a big "if" - DDE does NOT get reprinted, I wonder if Darkrai-GX + Energy Switch might be a viable way to charge & swarm Noiverns.

Yeah, as I stated in my post, I think the ZOMG SEISMARRRTOAD reaction is a bit ridiculous for this card. You have to work hard to get that card set up and ready to stop items going second T1. I like the idea of Darkrai GX + Energy Switch, but that requires a lot of cards dedicated to making that extra energy attachment work. I am convinced that if they don't reprint DDE that there will be some kind of broad dragon support coming soon.

BENDsli

Aspiring Trainer
MY GEODUDES
  • Noivern GX - Finally, a potentially good Dragon-type GX with the annoying effects that we don't like from Seismitoad and Giratina, which are became "Annoying Expanded Gang" once Giratina rotates. 0 retreat is what I like, but the ACs are ODDISHappointing. Yes, It can access to DDE but, once DDE rotates, we'll force to run 2 Basic Energies, just to use this good fella. So I give it, 4-5 Geodudes. This will win Worlds once it was released.
GXs in Burning Shadows
  • Tapu Fini GX
  • Darkrai GX
  • Machamp GX
  • Salazzle GX
  • Ho-oh GX
  • Necrozma GX
  • Charizard GX
  • Marshadow GX??!
  • Noivern GX
8 or 9/12 revealed. Who do you think the other 3 or 4?
Tapu Bulu GX, Tsaarena GX
Probably a dark type Muk GX as well

Halsall24

Aspiring Trainer
I'm now wondering, if Evolutions survives the rotation, this could probably lead to some broken combos with Charizard EX. Seriously, if you get Charizard Spirit Link, M Charizard EX and another fire energy in your opening hand with that, you can just Crimson Dive EVERYTHING.
I was thinking more the generations Mega Charizard 100 plus 50 per coin flip paired with victini to refill.

Hemos

The demonic Shadow Lugia/Mystical Raven Witch
I was thinking more the generations Mega Charizard 100 plus 50 per coin flip paired with victini to refill.

Whilst that's true, I was thinking Evolutions mainly because it's the least likeliest choice to be rotated out if they do one after Worlds this year. With only two S&M sets at the time (Burning Shadows having a September release), I can't forsee them doing a rotation this time around, at least not a full one.

I'd be tempted to ask just how much damage this could run if you were to run it with Decidueye GX - keep the owls on the back row, and keep using Distortion to keep them from playing Items.