TCG Fakes Neo Battlefield: Sneasel (Image Based)

Reggie McGigas

-
Hey guys. My old fakes thread (which can be found here) was getting a bit bloated. I mean after all I had it for over 4 years and went through a lot of different projects with it. So I'll be kinda hitting the refresh button by making a new, clean thread. My first set I'll be making is Neo Battlefield!

LqGX1Nr.png

coming soon once I finish the set

Last edited:
Here's a couple Psychic types. I had fun making these, especially Alakazam and Lugia. Don't really like how card attacks and effects are formatted on Neo Blanks - it's a bit too random and jumbled but I guess it kinda brings the old card feel to it.
jX1JGBE.png
gD270cK.png
c5e455af-313d-4445-87a6-b2578253a706
KgJviak.png
YTe9900.png

Note: Error on Abra, should be free retreat cost. Will fix soon.

Which cards should I attempt next? Any suggestions?

Pretty nice, Reggie!

This is just something I noticed, but Neo-era cards don't use the 'x2' for Weakness. I hesitate to bring it up, if only because it appears you're doing your own thing anyway (with the glow). Also, on Alakazam, try bringing the left edge of the text box for the Pokémon Power to the left edge of the 'a' in 'Weakness.' Additionally, in single Energy cost, you should line the Energy up with the center Energy you have in the three Energy attack cost (not the first Energy in the two- or four-Energy cost like you've been doing).

I do love how you gave Lugia a Lightning weakness -- I believe all of the Neo-era Lugia cards had a weakness to Psychic, so it's a great way to showcase the Flying-type.

Don't really like how card attacks and effects are formatted on Neo Blanks - it's a bit too random and jumbled but I guess it kinda brings the old card feel to it.
If you think that's bad, look at the 1st Edition Base Set -- now those were a mess! Neo formatting looks downright Type-A in comparison!

I'd like to see some Grass-types, be them Grass, Bug, or (if doing more Neo-era) Poison!

Pretty nice, Reggie!

This is just something I noticed, but Neo-era cards don't use the 'x2' for Weakness. I hesitate to bring it up, if only because it appears you're doing your own thing anyway (with the glow). Also, on Alakazam, try bringing the left edge of the text box for the Pokémon Power to the left edge of the 'a' in 'Weakness.' Additionally, in single Energy cost, you should line the Energy up with the center Energy you have in the three Energy attack cost (not the first Energy in the two- or four-Energy cost like you've been doing).

I do love how you gave Lugia a Lightning weakness -- I believe all of the Neo-era Lugia cards had a weakness to Psychic, so it's a great way to showcase the Flying-type.

If you think that's bad, look at the 1st Edition Base Set -- now those were a mess! Neo formatting looks downright Type-A in comparison!

I'd like to see some Grass-types, be them Grass, Bug, or (if doing more Neo-era) Poison!

The x2 was intentional from me because I just figured it'd fit the card. I'll fix Alakazam and look at the energy cost, I figured those were off but wasn't sure so thanks for the tip. I'll work on some grass types next!

It doesn't look bad, but it's slightly awkward seeing current-era formatting on a Neo card. But hey, as long as you're consistent, format the way you want to. It's a neat spin on Neo-era cards!

The only things I noticed is that you rounded off the weight for Bulbasaur, but not on Ivysaur (also, the weight for Bulbasaur is wrong -- it's 15.2 lbs), and that length in the Neo-era doesn't use zeros (so the length on Bulbasaur should be 2' 4" -- your card's length is also incorrect).

Fixed the cards and they look a bit nicer now even with the random text formatting of the attacks and descriptions. Next will be two Venusaur cards to round out the line.

5O7iVaI.png
mKQm25h.png

Taking advantage of a day with no homework or tests and getting two more cards done. Really happy with how both turned out, especially using my old Venusaur render on Rocket's Venusaur to make it look like the old Rocket ex style cards. The only thing off is that the spacing on the attack for Rocket's Venusaur is a little off for some reason. Also, I like how the regular Venusaur turned out. I'll have to make a fire type that works with it next.

drzcsjo.png
BdLU40x.png

Very nice, Reggie! Great idea giving the Snowy Castform a Fire weakness -- true to the VG, and looks very cool next to the Sunny Castform, with the two of them having each other's weakness.

Critiques would be to add a period at the end of Snowy Castform's Icy Wind. I'd also consider moving the right edge of the Power text box over to the edge of the illustration border. It also looks like your Colorless Energy symbol is slightly smaller than the Water and Fire symbols, but I'm on my phone so I can't tell 100%.

The Bunnelby line ft. Rocket's Diggersby!

PED3NTL.png
mObA2Sl.png
n2HreIu.png

Spacing on Rocket's Diggersby seems slightly off so I'll have to fix that next time around.

Looking pretty nice.

I do think the Bunnelby is underpowered -- you can safely go with 10 damage per Energy if there's no effect. As for the spacing, I'd make the Call for Allies font smaller, and center it with the division bar.

I also think that Rocket's Diggersby's Call for Allies is pretty underpowered as well -- as a Stage 1 requiring [F][C], I don't think you need the self-damage.

Last edited:
Which type do you like better for poison here - psychic or grass? I'm leaning towards psychic but grass is more accurate for the original neo cards (also, Leer has a wording error - I think I had a brainfart. I'll update it once you guys give me feedback on which type I should use)

sCZSxRW.png
9nT4klK.png

I always thought Grass made more logical sense to represent Poison. I recall I may have lambasted the official change from [G] to [P] in last month's CaC.
But yeah, Grass. Though I don't think anyone would find it detrimental if it were Psychic. I mean you did already make Rocket's Venusaur Psychic to add some differentiation, so you know.

Excelent work, by the way.

I've gotta agree with Tyler here -- I may be slightly biased, as I'm a Classic and Neo-era faker, but I've always preferred Poison be represented as Grass. Color-wise, Psychic fits, but I think it severely limits the diversity of Psychic (and Grass, truthfully) as a type in the TCG. Take a look at weaknesses: currently, Psychic-, Ghost-, and Poison-types are all classified as Psychic in the TCG, with two of the three VG types (Psychic and Poison) having a Psychic weakness. On the flip side, with the Grass and Bug VG types composing the TCG Grass type, they all have a weakness to Fire in the TCG.

Including Poison-types in the Grass TCG type helps to diversify type matchups, so I guess that's my answer.

I'll go with the grass type poisons as suggested. I agree, it does add some variety with type match ups. Next I'm aiming to get some fire or electric types done and then move on to some trainers.

aRM8yRB.png
y8rTXOS.png
ZWOujCA.png

Here's Voltorb and Electrode. Next, maybe another electric Pokemon to create some synergy. You guys think I should make a set out of this?

r9cwEl6.png
7X2m3Ec.png

Back