Discussion The game without VS Seeker

Mariano11887

Goalkeeper
How's it going guys? I was reading a thread where people were discussing about which sets will rotate out this year. Everyone agreed (me too) that Standard format will be BKT-on at minimum, so that means we won't have VS Seeker.
But what will be the impact of that? VS Seeker defines in some way how our decks are built. For example, I really don't mind throwing supporters to the discard pile using Sycamore or Ultra Ball because I know I can recover them with VS Seeker later, but if I know I can't do that, maybe I'd think twice before doing it.

So, will the game become a little more conservative? Maybe by not playing 4 Sycamores in most of the decks, replacing some of them with other "shuffle your hand into your deck and draw" supporters. We'll need to increase the number of draw supporters too as we can't reuse them.
What do you think?

Frosstoise

Pokemon Connoisseur
It is for this reason that Lele is so very hype. It can fill (to a degree) the hole that VS Seeker is going to leave behind, since it allows you to grab a supporter you need when you need it. This is especially true in the earlier game, when your deck is still sufficiently plump. It's sure going to make Sycamore a tougher card to play, since once something gets to discard, it stands a much better chance of being gone gone. I wouldn't be surprised to see Puzzle of Time rise to much greater prominence.

optimal_max

Aspiring Trainer
VS Seeker will be a HUGE loss as it is integral to almost every successful deck type. It is one of (if not THE) most useful card in the game right now.

How many games have been won or lost by VS Seeker/Lysandre or VS Seeker/Prof Sycamore or other combo. This will be the card I miss the most.

HOWEVER, the loss of VS Seeker will lessen slightly the chokehold that Vileplume has since the card I want to use most under item-lock condition is usually a VS Seeker to grab a needed supporter card.

NinJamezor

We love Huntail
HOWEVER, the loss of VS Seeker will lessen slightly the chokehold that Vileplume has since the card I want to use most under item-lock condition is usually a VS Seeker to grab a needed supporter card.
Vileplume and FOGP would also be rotating out with VS Seeker

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
Truely the loss of vs seeker will make one of supporters a thing of the past. I urge you to try playing a single hex/lysandre/delinquent/team flare grunt/ghetsis/shadow triad etc without Vs seeker in your deck and you will realize pretty quickly how much of a liability it is. Without vs seeker Supporters lines are going to be like what they were b4 so it will be 4 sycamore/4 N/2-3 skyla/and mayb hala or lillie

Elray

Expanded Player
Hala is going to be much more widely used than Sycamore, especially with GX cards that help you out early game (Solgaleo/Turtonator)

Also, I foresee a mass migration to expanded.

woahaustin

Prince of SD
I think looking at how plume decks are built will give you a better indication on how we will build decks post vs seeker. Heavier supporter lines of what we need and less decks (bar things like quad Sylveon) using 1-ofs

festizzio

Desu
I have no quarrel with you sir, but thankfully Vileplume and FoGP users still have this year to use their decks in Standard.
http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/pokemon-tcg-format-rotation-for-2017/
Look when that was posted: July 02, 2016. That was what rotated last September, this September will be a different rotation that is announced around the same date. Vileplume and FoGP will be rotating with VS Seeker (which is only legal because it's a secret rare in Roaring Skies - Phantom Forces was, again, rotated last September).

VillagerHoss

Pokemon Connoisseur, TCG Player and Collector
Look when that was posted: July 02, 2016. That was what rotated last September, this September will be a different rotation that is announced around the same date. Vileplume and FoGP will be rotating with VS Seeker (which is only legal because it's a secret rare in Roaring Skies - Phantom Forces was, again, rotated last September).
I understand now. But what did the website mean when it mentions the Standard format for 2017 instead of 2016?

festizzio

Desu
I understand now. But what did the website mean when it mentions the Standard format for 2017 instead of 2016?
The majority of the rotation took place in 2017 (3 months in 2016 vs. 9 months in 2017). The rotation announcement for this year will say it's the Standard format for 2018.

Hansel

Aspiring Trainer
I was thinking puzzle of time might become more of a staple to recover Supporters, but with Lysandre rotating out idk what other card will have such impact that you can devote 4 cards to it. Pokemon ranger- maybe?