Discussion Absol gaurdians rising ruleing

Mightyena

Still just a delinquent ;)
Everyone has been ignoring the absol from gaurdians rising and when i saw it i thought it was pretty dang powerfull. The current text says the defending pokemon is knocked out next turn not the active so any active pokemon is knocked out. The only way i see around this is pokemon ranger or marowak bkt which is an easily turned off ability. I feellike you pair this with max elixer tauros and garb and you're set.

Everyone has been ignoring the absol from gaurdians rising and when i saw it i thought it was pretty dang powerfull. The current text says the defending pokemon is knocked out next turn not the active so any active pokemon is knocked out. The only way i see around this is pokemon ranger or marowak bkt which is an easily turned off ability. I feellike you pair this with max elixer tauros and garb and you're set.

It works the same way it works on Exploud from Fates Collide (which has the same "defending pokemon" text). It has to be the same active pokemon. Any kind of retreat / switch / stand in effect will reset this. If you have a way to ensure that something stays active, it could be pretty nasty though.

cool thanks for the clarification maybe pair this with dragalge from expanded and ariados or toxapex.

Absol -Basic Pokemon

[D] Future Sight: Look at the top 4 cards of either player’s deck and put them back in any order.

[D][C] Doom News: Put all Energy attached to this Pokemon into your hand. At the end of your opponent’s next turn, the Defending Pokemon will be Knocked Out.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: Psychic (-20)
Retreat: 1

I think 4 x Absols with fighting fury belts to boost hp, 4 max elixirs for the Absols on the bench, 4 energy switches, 4 red cards, 4 Delinquents, at least 4 stadiums of some sort, and nest balls, birches or sycamores and vs seekers and lysandres, 4 trainers mails, some other random item cards and supporters you want to add and about 12 dark energies would make a great deck.

Use the red cards, stadium cards and Delinquents to keep your opponent at one card. Use Doom news attack and hopefully replenish it with the next Absol on the bench and max elixirs and energy switches. Use Future Sight on your opponent every now and then to control their next draw. I don't expect it to go too far in tournament play but it could still be a fun deck to play.

Future Sight is leagues better.

Absol is fairly similar to Jirachi from Roaring Skies, which never saw competitive use. In the same way that special conditions clear when benched, Doom New's effect goes away when the target retreats or is switched. Since every competitive deck has an easy way to switch (besides DeciPlume, which can probably crush Absol anyway), Jirachi/Absol probably won't be too competitive.

You could try pairing it with tons of disruption like one of the previous comments mentioned. With hand disruption and topdeck control, it might be common for your opponent to whiff a switch option. Maybe Absol with Tsareena and alternating between Absol's two attacks could work. Tsareena can delete certain outs to make Absol more disruptive. And in Expanded you can use Dragalge, Laser, and Alolan Muk potentially.

Back