• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Expanded Volcanion - a viable play for Expanded???

josie0001

The Daddiest Dad Ever
With less than a week before Philly Regionals, I'm thinking about jumping ship and playing Volcanion instead of my original choice (Dark), but with the Steam Up Master being banned on PTCGO, I haven't been able to the test the viability of my list against typical Expanded competition like Toad, Tina, Plume, Frogs, NM, Vespi, etc. In addition to typical list critiques, I'd also appreciate any opinions on whether Volcanion is a good choice in the first place and (if so) some strategies against some of the top decks. Thanks!!

Pokemon - 12
4 Volcanion
4 Volcanion EX
2 Shaymin EX
1 Hoopa EX
1 Keldeo EX

Supporters - 11
3 Professor Juniper
2 N
2 Lysandre
2 Blacksmith
1 Pokemon Ranger
1 AZ

Items/Tools/Stadiums - 25
4 VS Seeker
4 Ultra Ball
3 Trainers Mail
3 Energy Retrieval
2 Acro Bike
2 Escape Rope
1 Energy Reset
1 Professors Letter
2 Float Stone
2 Sky Field
1 Scorched Earth

Energy - 12
12 Fire Energy

Note: I'm not a fan of the "speed" version of this deck, so that's why I'm not playing Elixirs.

Cards I'd LOVE to have room for:
Startling Megaphone/Tool Scrapper
Battle Compressor
Fisherman
Colress
+1 N and/or Sycamore

I would actually consider adding a Xerosic to your list. Unfortunately, Volcanion falls victim to Garbodor. However, Megaphone also might be a better play, depending on your matchup. Trevanant is also a big player in Expanded this season, so just be wary.

With less than a week before Philly Regionals, I'm thinking about jumping ship and playing Volcanion instead of my original choice (Dark)...
I've been tossing the thought around the idea of going to the Philly tournament; and should I go, Volcanion EX is one of the decks I would NOT consider playing due to the following decks I would expect to encounter:
Blastoise-Keldeo
Eels-Ray
Eels-Mewtwo
Garbodor variants
Greninja
P Kyorge EX
Toad variants
Water Box

Even though I really like my Volcanion deck, the above list consists of a lot of viable, Expandard tournament-worthy decks to counter... For me, I'd run either my Dark or Fighting deck.

In addition to typical list critiques...
In regards to your list, a few thoughts for your consider:
  • I'm not sure how useful Blacksmith will actually be since you have Volcanion as the preferred starter and distributor of R energy across multiple targets.
  • In more games than not, I've found Fisherman to be quite helpful when I need a bunch of R energy.
  • I also run 1 Mew (FCO) for the M Mewtwo EX match-up.
  • Since Volcanion EX is also a Water-type, I run 1 Dive Ball (3 Ultra Ball) in order not to play the 2-card discard cost.
  • 1 Parallel City also helps to remove unwanted bench Pokémon (e.g., Shaymin EX) after you've setup.
So, suggested card changes for your consideration:

-2 Acro Bike - not sure you really need these
-2 Blacksmith - not sure you really need these
-1 Energy Retrieval - 2 should be sufficient
-1 Escape Rope - 1 should be sufficient with inclusion of PCL
-1 Pokémon Ranger - Keldro EX + Float Stone will help you get around most effects
-1 Ultra Ball

+1 Colress
+1 Dive Ball
+1 Computer Search / Dowsing Machine
+1 Fisherman
+1 Parallel City
+1 Pokemon City Lady - to counter all the expected Ht Lasers and/or status conditions
+1 Skyla - to help get needed Trainer
+1 Startling Megaphone

I hope you find these comments helpful.

Wow, thx guys - great notes, quite inciteful. Never thought about Keldeo as a simple way to erase Volcanic Heat effect - brilliant.

I like utility of Scorched Earth over Parallel City, because it can draw me draws in a pinch, tho I almost never want to discard Energy that way. I also use it to bump Shays with Sky Field, loading up my bench and just allowing my opponent to bump them for me or bumping my own later on with Scorched Earth.

I like Acros as an alternate to Mail because it can find me a clutch Energy when I need it.

Colress + Sky Field = duh.

Without Ranger, Fisherman is a no-brained inclusion.

I'll have to test the dive ball build. I've seen it with octillery as well as Rough Seas and it seems interesting.

Totally forgot my Ace Spec. Again, duh.

To be honest, when I started breaking down the matchups, it didn't look good for Volcanion, but it's still a neat option. Will keep testing and check back in with updates. Thanks again!!

Scramble switch would erase the effects of Volcanic Heat and allow you to attack immediately.
I like the Starmie from evolutions. Space Beacon allows you to recover energy to your hand with an ability, giving you an option under item lock. The right staryu gives free retreat. Superior Energy Retrieval cannot be overlooked either.
Skyfield is probably the most important stadium, I dislike Parallel City because if you limit your opponent's bench you limit Volcanion's damage output and it is super hard to operate this deck with only 3 bench spaces, you want to fill your bench with Hoopa beyond 5 so if your opponent plays their stadium you can discard liabilities, but I guess you need some options other than skyfield in the rainbow road or m ray matchup. Also, no battle compressor? Even 1 or 2 since they aren't needed to discard basic fire energy, but as an out to activate vs seeker: allowing you access to something like delinquent.
I personally would stick with 4 Ultra Ball since you run Shaymin and Hoopa, you nerf their abilities by not doubling down on cards to search them.
I would be tempted to drop acro bike and energy reset for things that will always be useful, like tool scrapper, a second colress maybe. Beyond Steam Up ans Ultra Ball this deck rarely needs help getting basic fire into discard and acro bike can force bad choices. 2 battle compressor might be preferable.
2 Fighting Fury Belt would also be a very good addition in place of acro bike. No shortage of baby Volcanions to use them or EX for that matter, since you can Rush In, Escape Rope, Pokemon Ranger, retreat for 3. . . .

Last edited:
Back