• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Expanded Volcanion EX

fr33land

Weak competitive trainer.
OK, so I would like to run a Volcanion EX deck whose focus will be to power up Volcanion EX and attack repeatedly using Blacksmith and a variety of ways to defeat the balancing effect and ability and item lock.
Volcanion EX will be the main attacker.

10 Pokemon
4 Volcanion EX STS
Requiring 3 fire energy to attack means the primary goal of this deck will be to manually attach a fire energy and Blacksmith the other two. Volcanion EX's ability Steam Up allows for discarding fire energy even on turns when no attack will be made, meaning even on turn 1 there is an additional way to get energy to fulfill the requirements of Blacksmith early on.
To that end
2 Shaymin EX RSK
Will be used to ensure that on turn 1 or 2 this feat can be accomplished.
This makes for an unfavourable number of mulligans and Shaymin starts. An alternate attacker is required.
2 Victini NVI
Attacks for 2 energy, meaning a single usage of Blacksmith allowing the manual attachment of energy to retreat Shaymin EX or a Steam Up. Victini attacks for 100 damage and gives only a single prize. The requirement of the attack is that you have 4 benched pokemon, which will generally fits the goal of the deck anyways. Benching at least 2 additional Volcanion EX above the one you will hopefully start with, as well as a Shaymin EX or two will happen as a natural consequence of setup. Steam Up can make Victini a potent force.
1 Keldeo EX BCR
The Rush In ability can reset the effect of Volcanic Heat and rescue Shaymin EX or even cure special conditions.
1 Exeggcute PLF
Can be discarded at any time in the game and presuming no ability lock is in play can help make cards whose effects require the discarding of cards more optimal by preserving resources with it's Propagation ability, wherein it returns to your hand from the discard pile to fulfill those requirements.

25 Items
Searching out pokemon is a key part of the strategy.
4 Ultra Ball
A key component, allowing you to search out all the pokemon in the deck, thin your hand to maximise the effectiveness of Shaymin EX's Setup ability and putting resources like supporters and fire energy in the discard.
2 Nest Ball
Able to seek out all the pokemon in the deck. Requires no discard.
2 Float Stones
Can be attached to Volcanion EX to allow them to retreat so another fully powered Volcanion EX can take it's place after a Volcanic Heat attack. Additionally, they can be attached to Keldeo EX, so a single powered Volcanion EX can attack in consecutive turns.
3 Trainer's Mail
These cards can come in lesser quantities, however I have found with my particular playstyle that they help in a consistent 'rush' setup.
4 Battle Compressor
4 VS Seeker
In combination these two cards make the use of Blacksmith very consistent, they make viable targets for Trainer's Mail. In combination with Ultra Ball and Setup to preserve the use of your supporter for draw purposes and leaving the option open to using Blacksmith is key.
2 Professor's Letter
Having energy in hand to attach manually or use Volcanion EX's ability is key, especially early game where choices often have to be made between manual attachment, use as discard fodder to maximise the effectiveness of Blacksmith it's nice to have Professor's Letter appear at least once a game.
2 Superior Energy Retrieval
Being able to grab a mitt full of energy mid to late game can allow abuse of multiple Volcanion EX's Steam Up abilities. Especially in cases where retreat by Volcanion EX puts 3 energy into discard. Preferable over Fisherman since Blacksmith is often the preferred supporter on each turn to ensure that multiple Volcanion EX are viable attackers.
2 Muscle Band or Fighting Fury Belt
Float Stone would be excellent, but the added damage and or hit points can make a big difference in the survivability of Volcanion EX or the probability of making a knock out in a field of pokemon with ever increasing stamina. Often leads to situations requiring Keldeo EX or some other means to nullify the effects of Volcanic Heat.

11 Supporters
While the most consistent and expedient combination that leads to it's use,
4 Blacksmith
is a must have in this deck. Item lock is an uphill battle for rush decks like what I am proposing. Relying on VS Seeker and fewer copies of Blacksmith could be a grave error. For first turn use, I want as many chances as possible at drawing this card.
2 Sycamore / Juniper
The minimum count for this card, the best way to improve consistency in setup.
1 N
Having the option to shuffle valuable resources back into the deck when they appear at the wrong time.
2 Lysandre
Provides not only control and the option to knock out threats to Volcanion, but also a critical counter to two very big threats, Wobbuffet's Bide Barricade and Trevenant's Forest's Curse.
1 Olympia
Can retreat us under item lock
1 Pokemon Ranger
In addition to countering various disruptive attacks, like Chaos Wheel, Deck and Cover, Flash Ray and Quaking Punch, it also counters the effect of Volcanic Heat.

Additional critical counter cards include
1 Tool Scrapper
Which can remove Head Ringer, stop the effects of Garbotoxin and remove Fighting Fury Belt which can increase an opponent's active hit points to a difficult range for one hit knock outs.
1 Xerosic
For a similar purpose.
2 Stadiums
Since Silent Lab is disastrous for this deck.

10 Basic Energy
Which seems low to me.

Based on the rationale of this deck is there fat I can trim or glaring oversights I am missing.
I think 12 is a better energy count and could drop a few things I am not completely sold on.
Keldeo EX, Exeggcute, Nest Ball, Olympia.
I would like 4 Trainer's Mail, 3 Sycamore and 2 N.
I decided that full Blacksmith was more consistent than Max Elixir.
I'd really like an AZ also, seeing how it can switch in a powered up Volcanion or remove Shaymin EX from the playfield.

Last edited:
A few thoughts for your consideration:
  • Why no Battle Compressors to get R energy (and/or other vital resources to setup your follow-on recovery) into your discard pile?
  • Even though your primary method of energy attachment acceleration is Blacksmith, 4 Blacksmith (which has a single, dedicated purpose) seem excessive to me. IMO, you could easily cut 1.
  • You may also want to include 1 Hex Maniac in order to counter EX Pokémon "walls" like Carbink (Safeguard) or other Pokémon like Trevenant (Forest Curse) when your Lysandre is not be available (or not an ideal choice at that time).
  • For a Stadium choice, consider Rough Seas.
I hope your find these comments helpful.

I do!
Uh. . . 4 battle compressor is an obvious choice, especially considering I can lower the blacksmith count presuming I am not under item lock turn 1/2.
I am reconsidering things like xerosic and tool scrapper, since both Victini and Volcanion EX KO Garbodor without Steam Up.
I'm thinking those 2 and the 2 nest balls will go for the 4 battle compressor.
Thinking I might drop Keldeo also to preserve bench space and add a 4th Trainer's Mail to increase my chances of playing Blacksmith consecutively so two Volcanion EX can trade spots, even if I have to retreat using energy.
You think switch and escape rope have a place? I kind of think 2 float stone should suffice with ranger and olympis in the mix... It seems to work better since if Float Stone has already been attached it still works under item lock whereas the other two don't.
In playtesting since a few changes it is actually pretty easy to blacksmith and manually attach while losing 3 Energy to retreat. I can't do that every turn the whole game, but ranger and olympia are critical for those Volcanions with Fighting Fury Belt.

I do!
Uh. . . 4 battle compressor is an obvious choice, especially considering I can lower the blacksmith count presuming I am not under item lock turn 1/2.
I am reconsidering things like xerosic and tool scrapper, since both Victini and Volcanion EX KO Garbodor without Steam Up.
I'm thinking those 2 and the 2 nest balls will go for the 4 battle compressor.
Thinking I might drop Keldeo also to preserve bench space and add a 4th Trainer's Mail to increase my chances of playing Blacksmith consecutively so two Volcanion EX can trade spots, even if I have to retreat using energy.
You think switch and escape rope have a place? I kind of think 2 float stone should suffice with ranger and olympis in the mix... It seems to work better since if Float Stone has already been attached it still works under item lock whereas the other two don't.
In playtesting since a few changes it is actually pretty easy to blacksmith and manually attach while losing 3 Energy to retreat. I can't do that every turn the whole game, but ranger and olympia are critical for those Volcanions with Fighting Fury Belt.

Switch and Escape Rope are both HUGE for this deck. I have played against optimized decks running them and against non optimized decks only running the float stones + Keldeo. The ones with the escape ropes in particular have always been harder to beat if the player times the correctly. Keldeo is nice and helpful, but the ability to force your opponent to switch out is absolutely huge in this deck. Also in expanded, players have a lot of ways to neutralize that float stone on Keldeo and if / when they do, you will be cursing having not put any Escape Ropes in :)

Okay, so variants on this deck have fared well in the BLW-SUMO format in recent weeks. I played against a few using space beacon Starmie which was an excellent move. Decreased reliance on Battle Compressor is possible because of Steam Up, a consistent way to discard basic fire. Escape Rope I am still on the fence about, but I can see it being nice to bench a opposing wobbuffet. Thanks to both of you for your input. Trying Skyfield Hoopa and Shaymin atm but considering dive ball and octillery. Would probably still need Skyfield though and it would be at the cost of speed in the early game for sure and takes up a bit more space.

Back