Help Accelgor

fr33land

Weak competitive trainer.
So I love Deck and Cover as an attack. Paralyze is such a potent effect.
Recently I have been trying to mash together an unholy amount of pokemon to effect both a consistent deck and cover as well as a brutal lock condition.
The idea consists of Accelgor as the main attacker, Alolan Muk to stop Keldeo, Virizion and a host of other game breaking pokemon; Shaymin and Jirachi EX not being the least of which, Trevenant XY as the primary layer to prevent escape from special condition as well as Shiinotic to improve consistency when hunting the Accelgor line.
Shiinotic and Forest of Giant Plants makes Deck and Cover ridiculously consistent.
However at 4-4 Accelgor
3-3 Trevenant
1-1 Alolan Muk
1-1 Shiinotic
1 Shaymin EX
1 Jirachi EX
it is spammy at first.
I love the combo of Muk and Trevenant active after a successful deck and cover attack. It leaves very few options for the opponent to escape.
I run 2 Wally and 4 basic energy/1 professor's letter to help Phantump BKP item lock my opponent on turn 2 minimum. FOGP has an obvious use and I run 4 right now, thinking of dropping it to 3.
Any constructive feedback?
I figure dropping one of the two 1-1 lines and focussing on one or the other might be good, Wobbuffet is nice, but item lock is much more disruptive, and both Muk and Trev is super devastating.

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
IMO, if Muk and Shiinotic are "critical" to your deck strategy, I'd suggest running a 2-2 line of each Pokémon to enhance your chances of getting a 1-1 line each into play. Otherwise, you run a high risk of not getting either line into play.

fr33land

This is true. In the few games I have played, rarely did I get all 3 support pokemon into play at the same time. Alolan Muk seems more critical than Shiinotic, then again a consistent Deck and Cover goes quite a long way also. You can Lysandre Keldeo EX and neutralize it's ability by trapping in the active.
A 2-2 line of each would make for 20 pokemon. Thinking 2 Shaymin on top of that since it can also hit and run, making Trevenant active, but it seems unlikely I will get one of thoseas consistently as I want with out 3 of them.

superdan51

Make Metagross-GX Great!
EDIT: Really tired and I missed that, but I dont think shiinotic is that useful. Its really clunky and it limits deck space for stuff like level ball and another shaymin, alolan muk is a really good addition into the deck as it shuts down so many options

another thing ill add is that if youre already running basic energy, you should add 1 or 2 trevanant break and see how that goes, im sure a little extra damage when accelgors slow down could be life saving

Last edited:

fr33land

I had a copy in there. The extra HP was really excellent, giving it survivability. Having 4 to 6 basic psychic was nice, along with a professor's letter to take advantage of Breakpoint Phantump. In one memorable game I evolved Muk with Wally and (having lost the coin flip) Ascended to Trevenant on turn 2. It was devastating. My opponent saw the play and had burned her deck on turn 1, but needless to say I took the win.
Shiinotic is especially good in this deck, level balls can be exhausted and sometimes the cautious option doesn't net you DCE, Accelgor and or Shelmet. Trying not to deck out can become a real concern when the game grinds as it often does. Shiinotic is simply another way to cherry pick a part of the puzzle, leaving the only reason to use a draw supporter as a way to dig for the DCE...
I guess a few evosoda might help, but it offers a way around the threat of reverse item lock as well.
Playing Forest also means using the level ball for Shiinotic means also getting Shelmet or Accelgor.
I agree I need to focus more specifically on consistency and cut something.
Streaming Deck and Cover is almost more important than the support pokemon I choose. I have won games where the pokemon consistently taking the active spot is Shiinotic, but their resources to retreat are exhausted.
Wobbuffet is certainly one of the most effective support pokemon and Shiinotic's ability can be used once Wobbs retreats and Shelmet is active, but the combo of Muk and Trevenant. . . it's so rude.
Part of the problem with Trevenant Break is certainly that loss of space for the basic energy.
Chaos Wheel really sucks for this deck. . . It makes me cry.

CESit

Aspiring Trainer
Alolan muk is actually a really cool card in accelgor atm - I have tested it out and I really like how it fits in with certain accelgor variants. A card I don't really like though is shinotic - yes I know it will keep your accelgor stream going smoother - but I feel as if Musharna still does an overall better job of getting resources - and shines especially when you have thinned your deck down to next to nothing. Plus munna offers you an opportunity to get an early sleep flip that can effectively put you a turn ahead turn 1/2

fr33land

How many Accelgor do you run? I ran the max because Alolan Muk makes Mew EX no good, the consequence is that you sometimes don't have one waiting on the bench. If you get a bit behind, missing a Shelmet one turn you end up having to attack with your last one. Shiinotic and Forest of Giant Plants is supreme in these situations. Are you running Trevenant?