PokeBeach's February 2017 TCG Cup, Sponsored by TCGPlayer.com!

I forgot to update yesterday. Whoops. Look at all the signups!!!

Premium competitors:

1. uncleyuri
  2. lt_tatter (lttatter)
  3. DaGod503 (Marcus503)
  4. WastedSkyPirate
  5. Valyria (Sephiriad)
  6. Jckid (skhynixjc)
  7. slarpy
  8. Christian Ellingstad (Zomanga)
  9. Serperior (EspeonRox)
  10. MrCooper91
  11. Kyoushiro44
  12. killrnite
  13. Trixss
  14. Arneboy11
  15. PwnzorProd
  16. Dave Sontag (davesontag)
  17. My Little Keldeo
  18. Ceraphrim (Nephalite)
  19. Frosstoise
  20. normanc (TheCrusader4)
  21. Coolpilot
  22. SummerDaze
  23. Game_Loss (rotomboyz)
  24. BugTrainer (McCvoys)
  25. austincredible76 (austincrediblle)
  26. gracebond
  27. xaej806
  28. jwpekin
  29. Dfwallace2 (wjwallace)
  30. BKRapper
  31. jbcheshire
  32. Twixz
  33. Gengar master (Gengar-101)
  34. Tangelatwist (wondercards)
  35. Sarakazi
  36. PokieMorff
  37. CESit (Xabalanque)

Competitors:

1. rainyman123
  2. theprp30
  3. ChuckP33
  4. flying-casual
  5. Ken Masters (Ken_Masters)
  6. Typhlosion17 (megaampharoas)
  7. Megaboy335
  8. Mariano11887
  9. Leandro_Altaria (LeoAlty)
  10. TheGuardian118
  11. jessalakasam (Trainerdylan19)
  12. josie0001
  13. Mazo (Mazo90)
  14. olivasds
  15. Silvant (WaaS)
  16. Nemesis1125
  17. Jenna573
  18. PikaMasterJesi (Master_Chuchu)
  19. Elbow (Elliot4me)
  20. Klein Houmani (flying-pichu)
  21. Calcab (Gabe014)
  22. Gible06 (Pokemon1050889)
  23. Chi-Town Master (Machamp-101)
  24. Jake_Silberman
  25. superdan51
  26. ozzie347
  27. Adrian9 (Itachingco)
  28. grantm1999 (grantm2001)
  29. Marcos Denis (marcos_dmmj)
  30. Kamato (Arceas060105)
  31. The_Wolfgangsta (wwhh62)
  32. ItaloReis (italosreis)
  33. Sjin (ShadySjin)
  34. Vivek (vivek8086)
  35. iisnumber12 (Ra2terra)
  36. DemonBunnies
  37. Kemony
Overflow list:

1. Pikajew1213 (PeepsMarsmallow)
  2. raymond25962 (aRayofHope)
  3. __abrams__ (pokemonrocks987)
  4. EmptyApartment
  5. Aristotle Maragas (ghoster1987)
  6. Yog (Yoggington)
  7. JW Kriewall (TeamPoliswag)
  8. Flash~ZT (chicago234)
  9. Alex Koch (Wolt)
  10. anthony7245
  11. Master_Z
  12. Gmax935
  13. Demetrius (demetriusy1998)
  14. Greninja13 (MinunPlusle13)
  15. Fifthhorseman86
  16. MyBabyVolcanion (GoodTrader)
  17. LoafofSlakoth (PikaSurfing9)
  18. bdov777
  19. Sycotictoad (Cheap_poser)
  20. sAgA (saga1)
  21. AndrewSalami
  22. TweekT00 (tweekt88)
  23. SprayAnPray
Total players: 87

Continue to sign up! If you didn't make it in this month and you mention this in your signup post next month, you'll be given priority registration. Don't forget that premium members can still force their way into the tournament at any time! Players are removed starting from the bottom.

Signups end Sunday at 11:59 PM EST.

Question, if we ever reached the point could we do a 7 round tournament? Like if we get closer to the 128-cap? Turning away so many players would be upsetting. Also 2x players would provide for a more difficult/interesting tournament.

Question, if we ever reached the point could we do a 7 round tournament? Like if we get closer to the 128-cap? Turning away so many players would be upsetting. Also 2x players would provide for a more difficult/interesting tournament.

I'm glad you asked. I've thought about this myself and inquired about it because I also hate turning away two dozen+ folks who would love a shot at prizes. Here's the scoop. As it stands, we don't have the time or the turnout to do that. Sixty-four is the maximum number of players for six rounds of swiss, and even though this is probably the largest turnout we've had so far, we're still nowhere near 128. Time is also an issue. Currently it takes 35 days to run a tournament. The way things currently are, we'd need to add another five days to make up for the seventh round of swiss, and that would cause the tournament to bleed even further into the next month.

A possible workaround would be to have signups for next month's tournament at the end of the month rather than on the first. We'd still bleed into the following month, but it wouldn't be any more than it already does now. It was argued that it would still bleed into the current tournament, but something's gotta give somewhere.

If we can see a huge surge in signups between today and tomorrow, I'll ask the staff to reconsider, but as of right now the answer is no for the reasons listed above.

Can I make a suggestion... if you have enough moderators you could split things up between premium members and non premium members. Run 2 tournaments with different prize supports. Also can start 1 tournament at the beginning of the month then start the 2nd tournament half way thru the month just to offset it a bit. This is just a suggestion.

Having a t8 would bleed over too, but would help with some of the resistance problems. I am sure people in a t8 would prefer to play out a t8, of course it means an extra 3 rounds potentially and a tourney may bleed over into nearly 2 months, but one could give packs out to non t8 and losers as the tourney proceeds

@PMJ You put there is 37 non-premium competitors which would make the tournament 74 players instead of 64.

Can I make a suggestion... if you have enough moderators you could split things up between premium members and non premium members. Run 2 tournaments with different prize supports. Also can start 1 tournament at the beginning of the month then start the 2nd tournament half way thru the month just to offset it a bit. This is just a suggestion.

Thanks for your suggestion. Two tournaments isn't viable right now because we don't have the activity for it. I think the staff would rather have one larger tournament that incorporates everyone than having to worry about two tournaments. I'm sure it'll be something that needs to be looked at further as the tournaments grow and premium support increases - can you imagine a 64-man tourney where they're all premium members? And paying members would still kick out those on the overflow list, so that would still cause a huge backlog of people who want a shot but will never get to play.

If the tournaments ever get so big that running one 64-man tourney becomes unviable, then it'll be something we revisit.

Having a t8 would bleed over too, but would help with some of the resistance problems. I am sure people in a t8 would prefer to play out a t8, of course it means an extra 3 rounds potentially and a tourney may bleed over into nearly 2 months, but one could give packs out to non t8 and losers as the tourney proceeds

Giving out packs in a timely manner isn't the problem, it's just time. These are supposed to be monthly tournaments; if each one takes a month and a half to do then that's not efficient. I'm considering pitching the idea of four days per round as the norm. This would allow tournaments to fit entirely in the space of one month (six rounds * 4 days per round + 4 days of signups = 28 days) and allow for extra days that can be allocated as extensions for holidays, PTCGO downtime, or just chilling before the next tournament. It would put a slightly larger strain on the competitors, as they'd have one less day to complete their matches, but with such large prizes at stake, I don't think it's going to be a problem at all. People who are serious about winning will make the time to compete, and those who aren't will just scoop. I'm okay with that.

I'm going to see how well it runs for this tournament and see if pushing the issue any further has any merit once we get further into this month's tournament.

I know that didn't really address your issue of top cut but that's something I don't see happening right now, if ever.

@PMJ You put there is 37 non-premium competitors which would make the tournament 74 players instead of 64.

...oops. I'll have that fixed in the next update.

Thanks for your suggestion. Two tournaments isn't viable right now because we don't have the activity for it. I think the staff would rather have one larger tournament that incorporates everyone than having to worry about two tournaments. I'm sure it'll be something that needs to be looked at further as the tournaments grow and premium support increases - can you imagine a 64-man tourney where they're all premium members? And paying members would still kick out those on the overflow list, so that would still cause a huge backlog of people who want a shot but will never get to play.

If the tournaments ever get so big that running one 64-man tourney becomes unviable, then it'll be something we revisit.

Giving out packs in a timely manner isn't the problem, it's just time. These are supposed to be monthly tournaments; if each one takes a month an

Awesome. Thank you

• Are you a PokeBeach premium member? Yes
  • What is your PTCGO screen name? Heartbrand
  • What timezone do you live in? (If you do not know your time zone, check out a World Clock such as this one. For example, California’s time zone is “Pacific (GMT/UTC-8).”) EST
  • Did you make at least three non-tournament posts on PokeBeach in January? If not, do you promise to do that this month? We want to see you around the community! Yes

• What is your PTCGO screen name? zoopidzut
  • What timezone do you live in? (If you do not know your time zone, check out a World Clock such as this one. For example, California’s time zone is “Pacific (GMT/UTC-8).”) cst
  • Did you make at least three non-tournament posts on PokeBeach in January? If not, do you promise to do that this month? We want to see you around the community! i promise, think i already made one post

• Are you a PokeBeach premium member?no
  • What is your PTCGO screen name?dlbourne90
  • What timezone do you live in? (If you do not know your time zone, check out a World Clock such as this one. For example, California’s time zone is “Pacific (GMT/UTC-8).”)Alaskan
  • Did you make at least three non-tournament posts on PokeBeach in January? If not, do you promise to do that this month? We want to see you around the community!yes
I also applied last month and didn't make it in, not sure if I am to post that here or not. I surely hope to make it in :)

Here's an updated list.

Premium competitors:

1. Bournopolis (dlbourne90)
  2. uncleyuri
  3. lt_tatter (lttatter)
  4. DaGod503 (Marcus503)
  5. WastedSkyPirate
  6. Valyria (Sephiriad)
  7. Jckid (skhynixjc)
  8. slarpy
  9. Christian Ellingstad (Zomanga)
  10. Serperior (EspeonRox)
  11. MrCooper91
  12. Kyoushiro44
  13. killrnite
  14. Trixss
  15. Arneboy11
  16. PwnzorProd
  17. Dave Sontag (davesontag)
  18. My Little Keldeo
  19. Ceraphrim (Nephalite)
  20. Frosstoise
  21. normanc (TheCrusader4)
  22. Coolpilot
  23. SummerDaze
  24. Game_Loss (rotomboyz)
  25. BugTrainer (McCvoys)
  26. austincredible76 (austincrediblle)
  27. gracebond
  28. xaej806
  29. jwpekin
  30. Dfwallace2 (wjwallace)
  31. BKRapper
  32. jbcheshire
  33. Twixz
  34. Gengar master (Gengar-101)
  35. Tangelatwist (wondercards)
  36. Sarakazi
  37. PokieMorff
  38. CESit (Xabalanque)
  39. Heartbrand
  40. zoopidzut

Competitors:

1. rainyman123
  2. theprp30
  3. ChuckP33
  4. flying-casual
  5. Ken Masters (Ken_Masters)
  6. Typhlosion17 (megaampharoas)
  7. Megaboy335
  8. Mariano11887
  9. Leandro_Altaria (LeoAlty)
  10. TheGuardian118
  11. jessalakasam (Trainerdylan19)
  12. josie0001
  13. Mazo (Mazo90)
  14. olivasds
  15. Silvant (WaaS)
  16. Nemesis1125
  17. Jenna573
  18. PikaMasterJesi (Master_Chuchu)
  19. Elbow (Elliot4me)
  20. Klein Houmani (flying-pichu)
  21. Calcab (Gabe014)
  22. Gible06 (Pokemon1050889)
  23. Chi-Town Master (Machamp-101)
  24. Jake_Silberman
Overflow list:

1. superdan51
  2. ozzie347
  3. Adrian9 (Itachingco)
  4. grantm1999 (grantm2001)
  5. Marcos Denis (marcos_dmmj)
  6. Kamato (Arceas060105)
  7. The_Wolfgangsta (wwhh62)
  8. ItaloReis (italosreis)
  9. Sjin (ShadySjin)
  10. Vivek (vivek8086)
  11. iisnumber12 (Ra2terra)
  12. DemonBunnies
  13. Kemony
  14. Pikajew1213 (PeepsMarsmallow)
  15. raymond25962 (aRayofHope)
  16. __abrams__ (pokemonrocks987)
  17. EmptyApartment
  18. Aristotle Maragas (ghoster1987)
  19. Yog (Yoggington)
  20. JW Kriewall (TeamPoliswag)
  21. Flash~ZT (chicago234)
  22. Alex Koch (Wolt)
  23. anthony7245
  24. Master_Z
  25. Gmax935
  26. Demitrius (demitriusy1998)
  27. Greninja13 (MinunPlusle13)
  28. Fifthhorseman86
  29. MyBabyVolcanion (GoodTrader)
  30. LoafofSlakoth (PikaSurfing9)
  31. bdov777
  32. Sycotictoad (Cheap_poser)
  33. sAgA (saga1)
  34. AndrewSalami
  35. TweekT00 (tweekt88)
  36. SprayAnPray

Total entrants: 100!!!! \o/

Continue to sign up! If you didn't make it in this month and you mention this in your signup post next month, you'll be given priority registration.

Signups end Sunday at 11:59 PM EST.

• Are you a PokeBeach premium member? Yes.
  • What is your PTCGO screen name? Lord_Darkrai
  • What timezone do you live in? (If you do not know your time zone, check out a World Clock such as this one. For example, California’s time zone is “Pacific (GMT/UTC-8).”) GMT/UTC-8 in Los Angeles, California.
  • Did you make at least three non-tournament posts on PokeBeach in January? If not, do you promise to do that this month? We want to see you around the community! I just started posting around so definitely more very soon.

I'm going to have to withdrawal before this starts. Even though I'm on the overflow list I would be unable to play for round 5. Good luck everyone. Hopefully I get to battle you fine people next month.

• What is your PTCGO screen name? Nobodyshero2727
  • What timezone do you live in? EST New York City
  • Did you make at least three non-tournament posts on PokeBeach in January? If not, do you promise to do that this month? We want to see you around the community! No, and I promise to be more active.

Pokebeach Premium Member - No
PTCGO username - walrii
Time zone - Pennsylvania EST, GMT -5
Frequent poster? - No, but with events like this going on I am going to start posting on the beach again

New
  • What is your PTCGO screen name? derek2727
  • What timezone do you live in? “Pacific"
  • Did you make at least three non-tournament posts on PokeBeach in January? no but I do promise

• What is your PTCGO screen name? Papazuelo
  • What timezone do you live in? EST
  • Did you make at least three non-tournament posts on PokeBeach in January? No, but I promise to make 3 in February

Are you a PokeBeach premium member? : Yes
  • What is your PTCGO screen name? : svang20

• What timezone do you live in? (If you do not know your time zone, check out a World Clock such as this one. For example, California’s time zone is “Pacific (GMT/UTC-8).”) : US Central Time

• Did you make at least three non-tournament posts on PokeBeach in January? No
  • If not, do you promise to do that this month? We want to see you around the community! : I did not, but i promise i'll do it with full commitment

Back