Help Was missing No. a legal Pokemon in the tournaments for Pokemon Red and Blue?

Sugarytoast

Aspiring Trainer
Was missing No. a legal Pokemon in the tournaments for Pokemon Red and Blue?
I know its kind of a dumb question. I was just wondering if the People at the tournament considered it. :p

Way back then, tournaments didn't exist. They wouldn't until gen 3, when VGC was started. So it really came down to wether or not the player would use it.

Way back then, tournaments didn't exist. They wouldn't until gen 3, when VGC was started. So it really came down to wether or not the player would use it.
This isn't quite true. Even though VGC itself didn't exist then, the VG competitive scene was huge from Day 1, and Missingno. was never allowed. It was banned along with the mews, as Mewtwo was deemed too strong and I don't think it was possible to get Mew without hacking, plus if you could it was deemed too strong anyway.

This isn't quite true. Even though VGC itself didn't exist then, the VG competitive scene was huge from Day 1, and Missingno. was never allowed. It was banned along with the mews, as Mewtwo was deemed too strong and I don't think it was possible to get Mew without hacking, plus if you could it was deemed too strong anyway.
Mew wasn't even 'deemed' too strong. There were a select few who knew about the "Mew Glitch" (Which wasn't posted to the public until just before the gen 3 remakes of R/G) early enough to use it, but just the same it's high base stats, access to literally every TM and HM move, plus the broken Amnesia (which was effectively a double strength version of Calm Mind as the Special stat was the equivalent of bot SAtk and SDef as far as gen 1 is concerned) + Recover combo for boosting and survivability. Both it an Mewtwo were legitimately too strong (Mewtwo's only real weakness was to strong physical attacks, if the opponent could survive a hit or land a hit first).

To be fair, 99.999% of missingo would irreparably corrupt your save if caught, though - and some even if you just encounter them (IE: some would flip the wrong bit trying to mark the missingno as seen and overflow the pokedex, ruining vital other save data and making it impossible to load/salvage the save). Even if one was caught, it (or at leas the most stable one) was essentially a worse Poliwrath clone as far as learn-set and it's inferior base stats.

Back