News Silvady, Jarango, Jararanga, Trial Captain Ilima, S/M Anime Info Revealed in 'CoroCoro!'

Theory: The Aether Foundation created a hybrid Pokémon species, (Arceus was used, obviously), and gave it a wooden helmet and body armor to wear. Gladion took it out of pity, and realized that it trusted him enough to evolve. Or something along the lines of that.
Yeah, I exactly thought something like this ;)

Silvady's ability being called "AR System" seems to further confirm its connection to Arceus. It'll be interesting to see if Arceus actually plays into S&M's plot. It's 3 generations removed as a legendary, but it's one of those pieces of Pokemon lore I've always enjoyed.

Edit: Also I forgot in all the craziness, but Type: Null evolves? That's pretty weird in itself, eh? Assuming it's still a legendary, and this isn't some other kind of form change, this would be a first. There's no way a level-up evolution would make sense with the story, so maybe it's based on happiness?

I go back and forth on the Jangas. I see how some can say they're over-designed. They would have been really difficult to render in earlier generations of Pokemon, and now that GameFreak can work with more complicated designs, it doesn't necessarily mean they should. But maybe they're going for a samurai mail armour vibe, and so the amount of rings/plates was necessary to communicate that idea.

My main complaint is that Jarango is so similar to Jararanga - I feel like it should have had a more round and sturdy form as a middle evo, like a Shelgon. But maybe they felt they just did that with Quilladin and didn't want to repeat themselves. They also feel a bit generic as the pseudo-legendary dragons - the Goodra and Hydreigon lines are really distinct, but this one is more like a counterpart to the Haxorus line. Even the colour scheme is similar to Haxorus. And I wish they had kept a more ankylosaur shape, but again, we already have Torterra. And they're yet another line that goes from quadrupedal to bipedal. But overall, they're growing on me.

Last edited:
Aaaaah!! Aaahhh!! AAAH!! Yes!! I've wanted a Dragon/Fighting type for so long! I sure hope they end up being the pseudo legendaries! I haven't loved a dragon-type this much ever since I got my first Garchomp! Aaaah!! Also, is it just me, or does Jararanga look like the Great Jaggi a bit from Monster Hunter? Either way, I'm loving it!!

Silvady's ability being called "AR System" seems to further confirm its connection to Arceus. It'll be interesting to see if Arceus actually plays into S&M's plot. It's 3 generations removed as a legendary, but it's one of those pieces of Pokemon lore I've always enjoyed.

Edit: Also I forgot in all the craziness, but Type: Null evolves? That's pretty weird in itself, eh? Assuming it's still a legendary, and this isn't some other kind of form change, this would be a first. There's no way a level-up evolution would make sense with the story, so maybe it's based on happiness?

I go back and forth on the Jangas. I see how some can say they're over-designed. They would have been really difficult to render in earlier generations of Pokemon, and now that GameFreak can work with more complicated designs, it doesn't necessarily mean they should. But maybe they're going for a samurai mail armour vibe, and so the amount of rings/plates was necessary to communicate that idea.

My main complaint is that Jarango is so similar to Jararanga - I feel like it should have had a more round and sturdy form as a middle evo, like a Shelgon. But maybe they felt they just did that with Quilladin and didn't want to repeat themselves. They also feel a bit generic as the pseudo-legendary dragons - the Goodra and Hydreigon lines are really distinct, but this one is more like a counterpart to the Haxorus line. Even the colour scheme is similar to Haxorus. And I wish they had kept a more ankylosaur shape, but again, we already have Torterra. And they're yet another line that goes from quadrupedal to bipedal. But overall, they're growing on me.
Null is a Legendary?...

Going from quadrupedal to bipedal is a very logical way to show progression from a base form to a more "evolved" form, though. Every bipedal species on Earth, if you trace their roots back far enough, evolved from these lowly, primitive amphibian-like animals that could barely even walk. Additionally, bipedalism is an excellent way to develop higher intelligence because the morphological changes to the anatomy free the forelimbs to do something other than support your weight.

In much the same way as theropod dinosaurs, for example, Jangmo-o goes from an uninteresting crawling thing to a more agile, more imposing, and maybe even more intelligent form. I'm just saying that going from quadrupedal to bipedal is an excellent, tried-and-true way to go if you want to show how far something is able to mature.

While I do understand the issue of Jararango being too similar to Haxorus in terms of color scheme and overall design (both are bipedal, saurian dragons covered in armor), I for one am simply willing to chalk that up to convergent evolution.

Null is a Legendary?...

Well, that's the question. Everything about its description seems to imply there's a single Type: Null, and it was constructed for a specific purpose. When there's only one of something, that makes it a legendary. But we don't know that for sure, just as we don't know for sure if Tapu Koko is a legendary. And just because something is man-made and only one is available in-game doesn't make it legendary (just look at Porygon), plus it gets controlled by a mid-game NPC, and it evolves. But everything else screams legendary to me, like how it's being used in the story, how it's being promoted in media, its size, power level and appearance, and its possible connection to Arceus.

Going from quadrupedal to bipedal is a very logical way to show progression from a base form to a more "evolved" form, though. Every bipedal species on Earth, if you trace their roots back far enough, evolved from these lowly, primitive amphibian-like animals that could barely even walk. Additionally, bipedalism is an excellent way to develop higher intelligence because the morphological changes to the anatomy free the forelimbs to do something other than support your weight.

In much the same way as theropod dinosaurs, for example, Jangmo-o goes from an uninteresting crawling thing to a more agile, more imposing, and maybe even more intelligent form. I'm just saying that going from quadrupedal to bipedal is an excellent, tried-and-true way to go if you want to show how far something is able to mature.

While I do understand the issue of Jararango being too similar to Haxorus in terms of color scheme and overall design (both are bipedal, saurian dragons covered in armor), I for one am simply willing to chalk that up to convergent evolution.

That's a fair point, but there are still lots of highly evolved things running around on four legs on Earth. Standing upright doesn't make us more agile and imposing than tigers, for instance. More intelligent, yeah, but not every Pokemon design has to emphasize intelligence, and I could argue that something heavily armoured and defensive like Jararango would be better suited on all fours.

Mostly I just want more variety in final evolved forms, but I see your point that things turning bipedal is a kind of visual shorthand for evolution. It's a bit anthropocentric though. Dolphins and whales are pretty highly evolved, and they went from land-dwelling species back into the sea, and now they have no -peds at all! I like Pokemon because it can explore a lot of cool, superpowered animal concepts, not just cool, superpowered animal-people that punch things.

I think we all have been fans of Pokemon long enough to know by now that there are hardly any rules to this evolution thing that hey adhere to. Gamefreak does what they want and some but definitely not all of their Pokemon follow the same rules.

Silvady doesn't remind me of Arceus in concept only, but its eyes also give me Creation Trio vibes. Sinnoh hype intensifies? :p

Or they'll just pull a "Pokémon Z" on us and ignore the connection at all until future generations and make it look really bad planned.

Silvady doesn't remind me of Arceus in concept only, but its eyes also give me Creation Trio vibes. Sinnoh hype intensifies? :p

Or they'll just pull a "Pokémon Z" on us and ignore the connection at all until future generations and make it look really bad planned.
Maybe Sun and Moon lead into the DPP remakes?

Gosh, they gave a whole page to Silvady. I'm kinda bummed that they revealed it a bit early, as it would have been a nice surprise to see it evolve when we weren't expecting it to. Though I only have myself to blame for going on the internet. It looks cool nonetheless.

Jangmo-o's evolutions have seriously torn me apart from choosing Bewear and it. It looks so regal, in an ancient, tribal way. It's certainly different from what I would think a Dragon-Fighting type would look like.

Alolan Grimer still a cute.

Nothing interesting in this one IMO. Silvady being Not Arceus is cool I guess, but other than that we just get what is presumably the pseudo legend and another Trial Captain. None of it really catches my attention.

Don't forget the screenshots of the Team Skull battle intros. The backgrounds are blue and pink...

Theory: The Aether Foundation created a hybrid Pokémon species, (Arceus was used, obviously), and gave it a wooden helmet and body armor to wear. Gladion took it out of pity, and realized that it trusted him enough to evolve. Or something along the lines of that.
you're idea is so close to mine, so I might just add something on to it. here I go: so, gladion will become somewhat like a rival and will pick the third starter to battle you with. as you battle, he will become your friend. as you bond, he talks about how since you and him became friends type: null began to react, and he will give it to you, and after a little while he will meet you again, and type: null will evolve, and gladion will tell you why he left aether, and why he joined skull.

Jangmo-o's evolutions are awesome. They look like something you'd see in Star Wars. Jararanga's scales look like they're made of brass and cling and click together when it moves.

And Type: Null's evolution...wow. That. Is. Cool! I never even expected Type: Null to have an evolved form! And it's amazing.

Everyone is in love with Slivady and I'm here thinking about how buff a Type: Null with evolite will be, my god is that terrifying. Not to mention it's gonna take over LC

If there are only going to be around 80 Pokemon, then we've only got around 20 new ones left. Though there are probably going to be a decent chunk of Alolan Pokemon (if XY's Mega Evolutions are anything to go by, we're only around half way through the Alolans in terms of a comparative number).

The demo will no doubt get datamined next week so we'll know everything very soon.

Until there's no English info on "Type:Specific" and whatever, I won't give my impressions yet.

I certainly hope there's more than 60 new Pokemon though, especially considering they've already revealed 50 :D (which is already like 10 more than they revealed before X&Y)

Definitly hope so. One Corocoro to go before the release of the games.. Still thinking it won't be a big generation like gen 1/3/5 which would have made sense because the previous gen was so small.. Oh wel, Alolan Slowbro could still happen ;)

you're idea is so close to mine, so I might just add something on to it. here I go: so, gladion will become somewhat like a rival and will pick the third starter to battle you with. as you battle, he will become your friend. as you bond, he talks about how since you and him became friends type: null began to react, and he will give it to you, and after a little while he will meet you again, and type: null will evolve, and gladion will tell you why he left aether, and why he joined skull.
HECK YES! #RebelshippingForever (that's the ship name for me and Gladion, I still like your idea though, ship or no ship.)

Back