• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Yanmega / Vespiquen (2016-2017) Finalized/Tested

Swampberto

Aspiring Trainer
But, Professor Birch's Observations does offer card-draw diversity which I've found to be helpful when I do not want to disrupt my opponent's hand (so, no Judge nor N) or dump my hand (i.e., Professor Sycamore) containing other valuable resources. Just nice to have another card-draw option when needed; that's my personal preference.

I agree, but in a deck with scarce resources I could see it being a great supporter. But, in a deck like this i think more often than not Sycamore is more consistent and much better.

N or Judge is there to help you out in situations like you stated. But, every deck can have tough choices and get stuck. Its simply the nature of the game.
Consistency is key? Yes?

marquisexb

Aspiring Trainer
OK I've played a handful more games with this deck and the bad draws were fewer. I'm now 7-4 with this deck, including games where I have removed the Pokemon Ranger for N. I've beaten some good decks: greninja, xerneas (rainbow), Mewtwo, MScizor, Darkrai/Tina, etc.

Pokemon Ranger
I took it out for an N. Even when it was in the deck, I never found the need to use it. Why is Pokemon Ranger in this deck?

Eco Arm
I've only had 1 game where eco arm returned more than 1 balloon, and I'm not sure if it mattered much in that game. Most games it gets lost to a sycamore, gets recycled with N/Judge, or never used. I'm not convinced that eco arm is worth the spot.

Others?
Puzzle of Time might be worth a look as well. Early on you can use it to help draw that Sycamore/N/Judge so your deck doesn't stall. Late in the game you can get a needed pokemon, lysandre, seeker, energy, etc.

Otherwise it's pretty solid. I have 3 other versions of Yanmega BREAK, and this is the best.

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
I agree, but in a deck with scarce resources I could see it being a great supporter. But, in a deck like this i think more often than not Sycamore is more consistent and much better.

N or Judge is there to help you out in situations like you stated. But, every deck can have tough choices and get stuck. Its simply the nature of the game.
Consistency is key? Yes?
I concur; consistency is very key. Sycamore, in most cases (from my experience) > Birch. Still, there are still those few times when I prefer to play the Birch vs. Sycamore, and it was quite helpful.

marquisexb

Aspiring Trainer
Agree with Tuxedo. Also depends on the meta available. A few sets ago, in Standard getting special energy out of the discard was extremely costly, so Sycamore wasn't ideal for every deck. Additionally in some decks I prefer Shauna over Birch. I'd rather know I'm getting 5 cards instead of guessing if I get 4 or 7. A deck like Yanmega is a prime example.

Also note you can only have 4 Sycamore. Often you need more draw than that, and some decks you don't want N/Judge to allow your opponent to draw as well.

Every deck is different, so there's no one size fits all.

Swampberto

Aspiring Trainer
I agree as well. But with N and Judge, i have used them more often than not to disrupt. For example, A Volcanion uses Steam Up x4 into Fisherman. I judge or N and ruin his set up. Thats why my N and Judge is 2 and 2.

But, running items and a lot of Pokémon it is easy to go from 7 to 4.

Maybe I've had amazing luck, but it has been pretty easy for me.

I agree every deck is different.

I appreciate you and Tuxedos input on this thread.

May i ask Marq, do you think this deck will be Regionals Competitive?

I think this or a zygarde deck will be decent.

I think either a vileplume zygarde, a Regirock zygarde, or a hammers zygarde

Swampberto

Aspiring Trainer
OK I've played a handful more games with this deck and the bad draws were fewer. I'm now 7-4 with this deck, including games where I have removed the Pokemon Ranger for N. I've beaten some good decks: greninja, xerneas (rainbow), Mewtwo, MScizor, Darkrai/Tina, etc.

Pokemon Ranger
I took it out for an N. Even when it was in the deck, I never found the need to use it. Why is Pokemon Ranger in this deck?

Eco Arm
I've only had 1 game where eco arm returned more than 1 balloon, and I'm not sure if it mattered much in that game. Most games it gets lost to a sycamore, gets recycled with N/Judge, or never used. I'm not convinced that eco arm is worth the spot.

Others?
Puzzle of Time might be worth a look as well. Early on you can use it to help draw that Sycamore/N/Judge so your deck doesn't stall. Late in the game you can get a needed pokemon, lysandre, seeker, energy, etc.

Otherwise it's pretty solid. I have 3 other versions of Yanmega BREAK, and this is the best.

I really appreciate your input, and it makes me feel good knowing somebody else is playing a deck they saw off my thread.

I agree , sometimes this deck can get a rough start, but if you get an opening with FoGP, an Pokémon with ultra balls or the actual evolution line, you simply win.

Thats why i always choose to go 2nd off coin flip. I have hit for 120 turn 1 multiple times!

marquisexb

Aspiring Trainer
May i ask Marq, do you think this deck will be Regionals Competitive?

Perhaps. Basically you want to know your deck's weaknesses. I ran across a deck that sniped my quens and hex maniac'd me to death (vs seeker -> maniac). I still only faced one Garbodor deck, and that will be the true test. Because I would imagine you either have a deck that relies on abilities or shutting them down.

If you want to answer the question make a list of the top 5-10 decks you're likely to see there (M Mew/Garbodor, MRay, etc.). Then keep an excel sheet against these specific decks. Maybe even keep track of how you lose -- or how you do against Garbodor, Glaceon, etc. That should answer your question.

I think this or a zygarde deck will be decent.

I think either a vileplume zygarde, a Regirock zygarde, or a hammers zygarde

Honestly I like this deck over a Zygarde deck. I have yet to meet one that scares me (as opposed to Mew, Ray, Greninja, etc.)