• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Yanmega / Vespiquen (2016-2017) Finalized/Tested

Swampberto

Aspiring Trainer
Yanmega/Vespiquen (Standard 2016/2017)​

Pokemon (25)

4 Combee AOR 9/98
4 Vespiquen AOR 10/98
4 Yanma STS 6/114
4 Yanmega STS 7/114
3 Yanmega Break STS 8/114
4 Unown AOR 30/98
2 Klefki STS 80/114

Trainers (31)

1 Eco Arm
2 Level Ball
1 Revitalizer
1 Special Charge
3 Ultra Ball
4 VS Seeker
2 Lysandre
2 Judge
2 N
1 Pokemon Ranger
4 Professor Sycamore
4 Forest of Giant Plants
4 Bursting Balloon

Energy (4)

4 Double Colorless Energy

Changes / Techs

-2 Shaymin -> +1 Judge and Lysandre
-1 Ultra Ball -> +1 Klefki

This is my tested (against early-meta decks and finalized version of Vespiquen/Yanmega) for this Standard Season. Without Shaymins you force your opponent to go through 3-5 Yanmegas and 1-3 Vespiquens dealing high damage outputs. When you do the math, they waste more damage for small KO's. Play testing I realized Shaymin was hurting this deck more than helping. And, 25 Pokemon is more than sufficient for getting a decent damage output from your Vespiquen.

The General Strategy

Ramp up with FoGP and start swinging for 100-120 and spamming bursting balloons. Discard Pokemon that aren't useful. Even if you get stuck T1 with Unown or Klefki. It is fine because it gives you more set up time.
Yanmegas play early game, transition into late game with Vespiquen.

Thanks for reading!

GolurkChamp2597

Long Time Champion
I would consider running 1 Super Rod as well as 1 Revitalizer. It makes drawing through the deck more effective when it comes to shuffling back Unowns.

Zentrility

Aspiring Trainer
I've always loved the idea of this deck and I really wanna try it out; however, I've seen it get destroyed too many times. Therefore, it scares me from spending money on it only to lose more often than winning. I'll favorite this decklist for future reference. It looks pretty solid though!

Swampberto

Aspiring Trainer
I've played it in multiple tournaments and have had tons of success with it hitting top 8 every time at my local venue. Every deck has a counter, that's just nature. This deck outspeeds everything even Mega Ray, due to my own experiences. The only deck I find myself losing to is Giratina/Xerneas Break.

I am also 28/33 with it in PTCGO

Swampberto

Aspiring Trainer
I've always loved the idea of this deck and I really wanna try it out; however, I've seen it get destroyed too many times. Therefore, it scares me from spending money on it only to lose more often than winning. I'll favorite this decklist for future reference. It looks pretty solid though!

It also is a very cheap deck to build, tbh

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
I've always loved the idea of this deck and I really wanna try it out; however, I've seen it get destroyed too many times. Therefore, it scares me from spending money on it only to lose more often than winning.
If you like it enough, I'd suggest testing it, even with card proxies (in real life) or online.

I've played it in multiple tournaments and have had tons of success with it hitting top 8 every time at my local venue. Every deck has a counter, that's just nature. This deck outspeeds everything even Mega Ray, due to my own experiences. The only deck I find myself losing to is Giratina/Xerneas Break. I am also 28/33 with it in PTCGO
Although you may outspeed everything (?), there are some decks with high HP Pokémon (e.g., Volcanion, Darkrai, etc.) and healing capabilities that may require 2-3 HKO. These Pokémon can easily balance the prize trade.

Plus, with your running only 4 DCE, would 4 Puzzle of Time not be more helpful?

Swampberto

Aspiring Trainer
If you like it enough, I'd suggest testing it, even with card proxies (in real life) or online.

Although you may outspeed everything (?), there are some decks with high HP Pokémon (e.g., Volcanion, Darkrai, etc.) and healing capabilities that may require 2-3 HKO. These Pokémon can easily balance the prize trade.

Puzzle of Time is really good, but it almost always have enough time to set up Vespiquens since they only hit the active in late game.

Surprisingly, I have had a favored matchup versus Volcanion and Darkrai since they all run tools, I usually hit for 120

Swampberto

Aspiring Trainer

Puzzle of Time is really good, but it almost always have enough time to set up Vespiquens since they only hit the active in late game.

Surprisingly, I have had a favored matchup versus Volcanion and Darkrai since they all run tools, I usually hit for 120

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player

No doubt we have had different experiences... Running either my Volcanion or Darkrai decks, I find Yanmega-Vespiquen match-ups favorable.

Swampberto

Aspiring Trainer
No doubt we have had different experiences...

Agreed, I also think it might be my familiarity with decks like this. Since I used to play Night March and Vespiquen/Eveelutions. I have adapted since the absence of Battle Compressor.

I would say experience with this deck archetype has helped me? Because I know this deck isn't amazing, but I have tremendous results with it

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
Agreed, I also think it might be my familiarity with decks like this. Since I used to play Night March and Vespiquen/Eveelutions. I have adapted since the absence of Battle Compressor.

I would say experience with this deck archetype has helped me? Because I know this deck isn't amazing, but I have tremendous results with it
Yes, experience goes a long way, and the "tremendous" results of your piloting the deck attest to your experience and skill too. :)

Swampberto

Aspiring Trainer
Yes, experience goes a long way, and the "tremendous" results of your piloting the deck attest to your experience and skill too. :)
I wouldn't consider myself that skilled at all, but I definitely know my way around a Vespiquen deck! I am playing a tournament tonight, I'll let you know how it goes!

marquisexb

Aspiring Trainer
I've play a few versions of Yanmega BREAK, and I find it suffers greatly against Garbodor. How has this deck done against a EX-Garbodor combo?

Second I find it also has trouble with draw/dead hands. How well does this draw? I have a version with Octillery, but again Garbodor really hurts it.

Edited for words

Swampberto

Aspiring Trainer
I've play a few versions of Yanmega BREAK, and I find it suffers greatly against Garbodor. How has this deck done against a EX-Garbodor combo?

Second I find it also has trouble with draw/dead hands. How well does this draw? I have a version with Octillery, but again Garbodor really hurts it.

Edited for words

Garbodor does punish this deck, but it's a Lysandre 1HKO.

I have done great with this deck without Octillery or Shaymin. Dead hands are rare, this deck is all about hand manipulation and control of resources. Learn to manage resources, that's all i can say about that lol

Swampberto

Aspiring Trainer
Great. Play well and good luck.

Went 3-2, this was my worst night with the deck. I got stuck one game with bad luck and lost turn 1 to an Unown as the active with no bench. I rematched his volcanion deck and won.

Deck performed decent, but it has had better runs!

marquisexb

Aspiring Trainer
Just used this deck & played 4 games, and went 2-2. Here are my thoughts:

The Bad:

The deck has some poor starts, and struggles early in the game. An example:
Combee, 2x Yanmega, Bursting Balloon, Lysandre, Ultra Ball, Special Charge, DCE.

So what do you play? Ultra ball -> Unown only gives you ~20% of getting a draw supporter. Ultra Ball -> Yanma in case your combee gets knocked out? But then you're still hoping for a draw supporter next turn.

I played nothing and then turn 2 used Lysandre on a benched EX. Ultra Ball-> vespiqueen, DCE then intelligence gather. I actually had to use it twice, because I still didn't get a draw supporter.

Suggestions:
Remove at least two of these:
-1 Eco Arm -- was pretty useless, especially ear
-1 Pokemon Ranger -- Is this card needed? Yanmega BREAK can attack Glaceon.
-1 Revitalizer -- kinda antithetical to vespiquen, but I understand why you want
-1 Forest of Giant Plants -- Too many can kill your draw. One game I had 3 of these by turn 3.

+2 N -- MOAR DRAW

The Good:

This deck really shines in the mid-game and against EX heavy decks (all 4 of my matchups were EX heavy). Yanmega really cuts down cards with tools, and spirit links, belts, and float stones are all the rage these days. You're killing 2:1 and you don't have to worry about energy problems. Near the end they're struggling to get energy on their pokemon and yours get stronger (I'm looking at you vespiquen!). All creatures retreat for free, so it's versatile. If one gets hurt without knocked out, just swap in a different creature. And there's enough of a Lysandre/Seeker combo to get at those targets on the bench. I won 1 game by OHKO a Shaymin.

I've tried a few yanmega decks, almost always with octillery, and it gets clunky. This doesn't (once it gets going), and shows it works well without it. I'm pretty impressed actually.

Final thought:
I'd still do the above (+2 N) & try for even more draw (Judge? Birch? Shauna?).

Swampberto

Aspiring Trainer

The Bad:

Combee, 2x Yanmega, Bursting Balloon, Lysandre, Ultra Ball, Special Charge, DCE.

So what do you play? Ultra ball -> Unown only gives you ~20% of getting a draw supporter. Ultra Ball -> Yanma in case your combee gets knocked out? But then you're still hoping for a draw supporter next turn.

I played nothing and then turn 2 used Lysandre on a benched EX. Ultra Ball-> vespiqueen, DCE then intelligence gather. I actually had to use it twice, because I still didn't get a draw supporter.

Suggestions:
-1 Revitalizer -- kinda antithetical to vespiquen, but I understand why you want
-1 Forest of Giant Plants -- Too many can kill your draw. One game I had 3 of these by turn 3.

+2 N -- MOAR DRAW

The Good:

This deck really shines in the mid-game and against EX heavy decks (all 4 of my matchups were EX heavy). Yanmega really cuts down cards with tools, and spirit links, belts, and float stones are all the rage these days. You're killing 2:1 and you don't have to worry about energy problems. Near the end they're struggling to get energy on their pokemon and yours get stronger (I'm looking at you vespiquen!). All creatures retreat for free, so it's versatile. If one gets hurt without knocked out, just swap in a different creature. And there's enough of a Lysandre/Seeker combo to get at those targets on the bench. I won 1 game by OHKO a Shaymin.

I've tried a few yanmega decks, almost always with octillery, and it gets clunky. This doesn't (once it gets going), and shows it works well without it. I'm pretty impressed actually.

Final thought:

Eco-Arm, has proved useful i would not remove

FoGP, i think 4 is essential because this decks need every chance to speed up.

I would consider maybe removing 1 Judge for another N

I have had good results.

Played 3 tournaments so far.
First one 4-1
Second 4-1
Third 3-2
11-4 isnt too shabby.

I think this deckis pretty fair. Unown helps us shrink hand size and also draw while boosting Vespi.
Like I said previously, my experience with Vespiquen decks also plays a key role, i thinkin pilotong this deck.

Swampberto

Aspiring Trainer

The Bad:

Suggestions:

+2 N -- MOAR DRAW

The Good:

Final thought:

Birch is awful. I have won games by using Ultra ball and level ball into Sycore for an extra 20-80 damage

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
Birch is awful.
But, Professor Birch's Observations does offer card-draw diversity which I've found to be helpful when I do not want to disrupt my opponent's hand (so, no Judge nor N) or dump my hand (i.e., Professor Sycamore) containing other valuable resources. Just nice to have another card-draw option when needed; that's my personal preference.