TCG Fakes bbninjas' Fakes - Knightly Nights Image-Based Set - 73.0% Complete!

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
It looks so good! Now this is a good fake. That second attack name though sounds a bit wrong :p As if it isn't meant for children's eyes...
Eh, it probably would get censored when going into English translation, but that's not going to stop me! ^_^

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
dragonair_gl_by_bbninjas-daaesd5.png

Whelp, I guess the set is on hold for the moment. You can't blame me - Metagross101's new DP blanks are real fresh! I also wanted to make a present for GlitchxCity, a Pokemon remixer, and discovered some Gym Leader art for her recently. Hopefully all the power levels are good. Despite DP being my first set, I'm not actually that informed on power. Ah well.

This card also has my very first fully 3D render! It was a bit of trial and error, but I managed to scrape up a decent-looking Dragonair-in-a-gym in Unity. Special thanks to @Monnotonne for inspiring me to get back to Unity with their recent Classic fake. I might upload a full version of the art later on.

Placements + holosheeting + spoilers by me!
Super resources by Metagross101 // @AwesomeEevee
Beautiful Gym Leader art by Jamie // mischakins
Art by me!

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Ooh, very nice. Maybe you'll consider making some 3D art for me in the future? :p

Power levels look about right to me, but @thegrovylekid should probably take a look at anything DPPt-related.

The holosheet looks just a bit too ... light, I guess. Multiply 50-70% under Color Dodge 100% is my favorite for that holosheet. What are you using?

Also, why can't I turn Dragonair into a [M] type? ;~;

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I ended up doing a really light holosheet as I wanted to preserve the art a bit more, and replicate the effects of some scans I saw. I used Color Burn (5), Color Dodge (20) and Multiply (8). I might try bringing out the colours more later, and see how that turns out. :3

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Hooray, my final exam for this term has been completed! Now to some card-faking. ^.^

buneary_nki_88_by_bbninjas-dahl7wr.png
litleo_nki_22_by_bbninjas-dahl74v.png
umbreon_nki_65_by_bbninjas-dahl862.png
finneon_nki_36_by_bbninjas-dahl7lr.png

This was literally my pile of art that needed some slight (or some not-so-slight) modifications before I'd be happy with using them, hence why they took some time for me to get out. Most of the cards are pretty much fillers, though Litleo features one of my first spoilers I ever created. Umbreon is one of those more gimmicky Eeveelutions that probably wouldn't be that useful. xD

Placements and spoilers by me!
Super resources by the amazing @aschefield101
Buneary art by @steffenka
Litleo art by @9Tailz
Umbreon art by SSsilver-C
Finneon art by Ebethras

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
m_beedrill_ex_nki_2_by_bbninjas-dai06z3.png
M Beedrill is cool. =D

Ugh, this took ages to make, mostly because it was stuck in development hell. I was struggling quite a bit with making decent effects to accompany the card, which I eventually did. The 3D Japanese text was a big challenge, but I'm fairly happy with how it turned out. It probably could do with more bold and less depth, but it works. The idea behind the Flash Sniper attack is to punish those nuisance pivoters, namely Keldeo-EX and Zoroark. It is intended to work with Mismagius to hit hard. Considering balance, it's probably bit high on the power side, especially in the 2017 Standard Format where there is more Energy acceleration for Megas and also a lack of Pokemon that can 1-hit KO it.

Placements + art manip + vector flashes + 3D text + holosheeting by me!
Spoilers by me!
Art by @BigfootAUS

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Wow! The art turned out really nicely, and the Mega text looks great as well.

The effects look a little off to me, though. The bright pink beam thing on the right looks out of place, imo; maybe because it's a color that isn't actually repeated anywhere else on the card. I wonder if it might look better if the beam's color matched the Mega-spikey-things? Or vice versa.

Also, the dark green bit at the bottom left feels a bit strange, too. The card's got a superspeed thing going on with the art and the effects immediately around the model; it's kinda weird to have that particular effect, which looks more like a stagnant growth of mold or an infestation of some sort; more like the Bug side of Mega Beedrill than the super-fast Flying side, which is what I feel you were going with for the other 90% of the card (including the attack name and effect).

idk, it does look really cool, but I'm not sure the effects are the best you've ever done. :/

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Yeah, uh, I agree the effects are a bit dodgy, hence the development hell. I may go back and take a look at it with that all in mind. The idea with the red lights was to match with the eyes; any ideas how to tweak it so they work a bit better? Or would you say its a bit too busy with all the colours? The green forest stuff was basically a 'quick, I need to put something there'. Any ideas on what I could replace it with?

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Yeah, uh, I agree the effects are a bit dodgy, hence the development hell. I may go back and take a look at it with that all in mind. The idea with the red lights was to match with the eyes; any ideas how to tweak it so they work a bit better? Or would you say its a bit too busy with all the colours?
Hmm ... the colors are a little busy imo. It might be tied together better if you put some kind of effect of the same reddish color on the far left, around where the foresty thing is now?

The green forest stuff was basically a 'quick, I need to put something there'. Any ideas on what I could replace it with?
Perhaps sparkles, or GlowBalls, or a wind-like effect like on the Noivern BKT theme deck wallpaper? A lot of the XY wallpapers have really cool effects ready to be cut out and used. ;)

professorlight

Ice Queen
How about removing the green and changing all the cyan effects with magenta?
FAKE EDIT: basically what jabber said.

To be honest, I'm hardly the best person to give advice about the official mega style; in my opinion, it's far too garish and the color tends to go all over the place, without harmony; those letters alone are enough, but they add those effects, ugh. So take this suggestion with a lot of salt, since harmony might not be what you need here.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
How about removing the green and changing all the cyan effects with magenta?
FAKE EDIT: basically what jabber said.

To be honest, I'm hardly the best person to give advice about the official mega style; in my opinion, it's far too garish and the color tends to go all over the place, without harmony; those letters alone are enough, but they add those effects, ugh. So take this suggestion with a lot of salt, since harmony might not be what you need here.
Nah, all the critique is good, especially for things like effects. I'm not particularly good at coordinating colours and effects well at the moment. (I need to go back to my Uxie-EX for this very reason.)

I'll see about changing the cyan to magenta. It could change the problem with the red flashes that Jabber pointed out.

professorlight

Ice Queen
Nah, all the critique is good, especially for things like effects. I'm not particularly good at coordinating colours and effects well at the moment. (I need to go back to my Uxie-EX for this very reason.)

I'll see about changing the cyan to magenta. It could change the problem with the red flashes that Jabber pointed out.

I think that if you remove the cyan, this is a prime card for harmonizing colors, even for a mega; the gold of the evo icon and ex and mega rules matches the yellow in beedrill, and the red weakness is close enough to the eyes and magenta details that, blue notwithstanding (since it isn't very pregnant in this case), you end up with a nice three-color balance (magenta-yellow-green).
Disregarding the letters, of course, they... tend to stand out. Fortunately, they do it so well that you can just ignore them and focus on the card.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
gladion_fa_by_bbninjas-dai50r5.png

Gladion is such a cool character, already residing in my top three favourite characters alongside Ness and Wally, so naturally I made a card for him! Definitely a field day making it in contrast to M Beedrill-EX. I ended up tracing Gladion's outline, but then figured I probably didn't need that. The effect is an interesting one based on Gladion's emphasis on power that I bounced off @Celever, and I think it works nicely.

Placements + art manip + holosheeting by me!
Spoilers by me!
Super resources by Snoops and @Nekoban Ryo
Art by Yomi Trooper

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Here's an updated version of Mega Beedril-EX. I've removed the mossy forest and changed the blue flashes to be magenta. Definitely looking for some more thoughts on this!

gLeWJXg.png

EDIT: Fixed the greyed out name as @professorlight pointed out.
EDIT 2: Noticed that the wing popped out of the box incorrectly. D:

Last edited:

professorlight

Ice Queen
It looks good; I'm afraid I can't tell you more than that because, you know, me and megas; the solid coloring of the... I don't even know what they are, the sharp-like magenta things, always looks like it's out of place in the composition, and don't get me started on the lettering (but that isn't you, just the horrible design of the mega cards).
For what it's worth, I think the card would look marvelous with just the pokemon, a holosheet behind it and no effects, just letting the eyes draw attention. But that's me, you strive for realism.

But on that count, the M on "M Beedrill" seems to have a distinctly different color from the rest of the name; the M seems pure black, and the name a slightly lighter black; it could be my monitor, but I doubt it.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
alolan_exeggutor_ex_fa_by_bbninjas-daihavp.png

I asked the folks in the PB Skype Chat for suggestions of which Gen VII Pokemon I should make into an EX next. Alolan Exeggutor was a popular choice, so here it is! I really like how the colours came out on this one - they compliment well and are extra dynamic. I add some little bubbles in the background, which I think work nicely. In contrast to Tapu Koko-EX, the holosheet on Alolan Exeggutor-EX is a bit brighter and more vivid. The idea behind the spoiler is to be a self-sustaining, bulky, tank-like Pokemon. I'd imagine you'd run it with Energy Reset to fully utilise the second attack.

Shoutouts to @PMJ for helping me making the EX somewhat viable, and @Jabberwock for linking to some Double Crisis scans for the name.

Placements + art manip + texturing + holosheeting + spoilers by me!
Stunning textures by @Nekoban Ryo
Art by me, traced from this stunning piece by limb92

EDIT: Fixed up the credit! ^.^
EDIT 2: Afterward not afterwards >_>

Last edited:

Robin Aisaga

Ginger Lillie > Regular Lillie
It looks great and lively and I like that! You're getting really good at making Full Arts @bbninjas and team.

I'm not sure how viable it would be with N and Judge in the format. You may lose all your basic energies if your opponent uses either one. Pokémon Ranger would be just as annoying because Exeggutor would lose its additional HP. Also you've already gone through the trouble of attaching four energies to use Exponential Growth, now you need to attach even more energies to get a boost.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Yeah, those are all points that PMJ brought up when I first showed the spoiler. Ah well, at least it's fun and/or different. :p